Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

X-Plane 11.50b4 is out!

X-Plane 11.50b4 is now available if you update via the Laminar Research installer. (Steam users: it’s on the servers and we’ll hit go in a few hours if we don’t hear reports of massive crashing and pain again.)

This update was focused on crash fixes and better triaging. We’ve been seeing a huge uptick in volume of bug reports and auto reported crashes since the initial 11.50 public beta release. We are trying to cut through the noise and provide better information in logs and in the remaining crash reports to fix issues faster, and let our support team (primarily me) get the inbox under control.

The best way to help us handle crashes on Windows and Linux is still to submit the auto report form. You can include your email if you want us to be able to find your specific crash, but we do not need the message field–the log and back trace will have pretty much all the info we need. If you send an auto report, please do not also send a bug report form email.

Mac users do not have the ability to auto report, so they should fill out the bug report form, and include the Apple crash report as well as the log.txt. This can be found under your username /Libraries/Logs/DiagnosticReports. The name will include the date & time of the crash and will end in .crash. You may need to show hidden folders to access it.

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

....it's the best 'B' of 11:50 yet.  Very impressive advancing of performance and strengthening of stability...

When can we expect the release candidate to be available. How many more betas to expect ?

Also do I understand it correctly in thinking that Vulcan is pure software ? Or do we need some special video card ?

3 minutes ago, jfri said:

When can we expect the release candidate to be available. How many more betas to expect ?

Also do I understand it correctly in thinking that Vulcan is pure software ? Or do we need some special video card ?

No, it's pure software. The Vulkan beta will be likely be a long one, Ben Supnik said.

Yep it barely started, after a delay of 4 months. I expect it to last long and think about when it will be out of beta is out of the question at the time

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

6 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

Yep it barely started, after a delay of 4 months

Not really what happened.

It did go live in early january, they just worked through the first few betas exclusively with 3rd party developers so everyone interested could get their shizzle together before it went out to the wider public.

Over the last 4 months there has been 11 developer previews and 4 public betas. Basically one a week.

Hardly a delay.

It seems there are still some kinks to work out with people with low ram wanting to run high res scenery, there is also some pipeline issues to resolve.

I managed to crash the very last minute of someones 9 hour test. which Im still feeling guilty about.

I  do expect public release candidate to be a while yet, because a not insignificant proportion of peoples systems still have issues, but aside from that, and the known issues they still have to work on, when you have a system it works on its head and tail better than 11.41.

just can not beat full shadows and reflections on near max world objects in a city at 60fps in VR.

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

Seems getting these plugins to behave will help a lot, Gizmo update seems to have helped a little, though I think he has a little more work to do,I guess B5 may take a litlle longer, but FPS getting steadily better.

6 hours ago, mSparks said:

Not really what happened.

It did go live in early january, they just worked through the first few betas exclusively with 3rd party developers so everyone interested could get their shizzle together before it went out to the wider public.

Over the last 4 months there has been 11 developer previews and 4 public betas. Basically one a week.

Hardly a delay.

It seems there are still some kinks to work out with people with low ram wanting to run high res scenery, there is also some pipeline issues to resolve.

I managed to crash the very last minute of someones 9 hour test. which Im still feeling guilty about.

I  do expect public release candidate to be a while yet, because a not insignificant proportion of peoples systems still have issues, but aside from that, and the known issues they still have to work on, when you have a system it works on its head and tail better than 11.41.

just can not beat full shadows and reflections on near max world objects in a city at 60fps in VR.

It is what happened. It's a fact. They were expecting to have the public beta before 2020 at first, then it looked like it was a slight delay, then it arrived 4 months after. These are facts.

Of course they had private betas and they were not sitting idle, but the delay was real. End of story

41 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

It is what happened. It's a fact. They were expecting to have the public beta before 2020 at first, then it looked like it was a slight delay, then it arrived 4 months after. These are facts.

Of course they had private betas and they were not sitting idle, but the delay was real. End of story

Of course. No normal person would argue with that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

They were expecting to have the public beta before 2020 at first

source?

Nowhere did they say it would be public afaik, people just assumed. And even then, the decision not to make it public was made last minute because of the current torrent of xbots spamming everywhere with blatant lies about how bad xplane is and to stop buying anything in order to save up for MSFS2020, the last thing anyone needed was that lot having access to the first release.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, mSparks said:

Well that is still mostly out of the question.

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

source?

Nowhere did they say it would be public afaik, people just assumed. And even then, the decision not to make it public was made last minute because of the current torrent of xbots spamming everywhere with blatant lies about how bad xplane is and to stop buying anything in order to save up for MSFS2020, the last thing anyone needed was that lot having access to the first release.

Look, i always talk about things i have read, not what i heard, not rumors, not theories, facts. I hope that the time i had to waste now to paste this collection from the official blog will be enough to satisfy your curiosity and make you admit you were wrong, but i doubt it. EVERYONE on this forum have known these things for a long time, followed by the disappointment in seeing it being delayed.

The following quotes are ordered from the most recent to the less recent one:

"We acknowledge we’re reaching public beta much later than we had hoped/wished/anticipated, but we are now aiming for a public Vulkan/Metal beta by the end of March."

"This is disappointing to us – we burned candle at both ends to try to get all the way to public beta this year, but at this point the build just isn’t ready yet."

"Our plan is to move to an open public beta soon once we have some feedback on how well the build is working. When that is will depend on the bug reports; I’m crossing my fingers." 25 december 2019

I expect the Vulkan beta to be a relatively long one. We want it to start this year, but it probably won’t end this year, and my guess is that initially Vulkan will be fantastic for some users and will crash for others. During the beta we’ll gain useful information about how well Vulkan works “in the field” for different cards and drivers. - and this i think we can agree refers to a public beta, because it mentions users and not developers, it mentions different cards and drivers (which requires big numbers of configurations--> big numbers of users ---> public beta)

28 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

"We acknowledge we’re reaching public beta much later than we had hoped/wished/anticipated, but we are now aiming for a public Vulkan/Metal beta by the end of March."

"This is disappointing to us – we burned candle at both ends to try to get all the way to public beta this year, but at this point the build just isn’t ready yet."

Because they changed the milestone required for a public beta (public/3rd party developer testing first was added - the first time they have really done this), not because there was a delay in reaching any milestones.

If anything this will make 11.50 final come sooner than they hoped, because it made them much more efficient at processing the bugs and didn't have to wade through 10,000 bug reports consisting of "vulkan doesn't work use directx 12".

Delays make everything take longer.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

15 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Because they changed the milestone required for a public beta (public/3rd party developer testing first was added - the first time they have really done this), not because there was a delay in reaching any milestones.

If anything this will make 11.50 final come sooner than they hoped, because it made them much more efficient at processing the bugs and didn't have to wade through 10,000 bug reports consisting of "vulkan doesn't work use directx 12".

Delays make everything take longer.

I am not going to waste my time on you anymore, this is the last time.

A delay is a delay. What caused is, outside of natural disasters or death, matters not when you provide public information about it probably coming out in a certain time frame followed by a long silence on the subject and it being actually delivered to the promised public 4 months later. 

My reply was on you asking for a source for my statement: "They were expecting to have the public beta before 2020 at first"

I provided facts for it, end of story.

Edited by Pastaiolo

3 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

A delay is a delay.

Nowhere, in anything you quoted, does it say there was a delay of 4 months. Nowhere in anything you have quoted does it say they would have a public beta in 2019 - or even 2020.

There was a roughly 2 week delay in getting the beta out - they wanted it out end of 2019, it came out second week of January iirc. 

AutoATC Developer