Sign in to follow this  
suncoastflyer

Vienna! First Airport!

8 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Yeah like they are all going to agree to charge less....

If no one buys it, then it will drop in price. Knowing many users here on avsim...people will line up to buy it at this price point because they want to play pretend pilot into Vienna. 

Let's be real here: Avsim posters are a tiny fraction of a percent of the market for MSFS. Every single Avsim member could buy this thing at $50 and the developer would still be leaving money on the table versus the scenario where they price it lower and get even a small fraction of that huge broader market.

And developers don't have to get together and agree to charge less. In fact, the first developer that's bold enough to lower MSFS prices will be stealing a march on all their competitors because they'll also be building their brand by reaching new customers.

Look, it's easy to play armchair business critic, but I do get the feeling that a lot of flightsim developers just don't have a grasp of how pricing works (they're engineers and graphic designers, not entrepreneurs). Just because there are some people who will buy your lemonade at $5 a glass doesn't mean that's the price that maximizes your profit...

James

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Look, it's easy to play armchair business critic, but I do get the feeling that a lot of flightsim developers just don't have a grasp of how pricing works (they're engineers and graphic designers, not entrepreneurs). Just because there are some people who will buy your lemonade at $5 a glass doesn't mean that's the price that maximizes your profit...

Yes, that's all "niche market thinking" that doesn't take into account how the modern gaming modding community works, and that will probably not survive very long on the new platform.

I don't think these big airport projects will make up a large amount of the overall sales on the market anyway. The big moneymakers might well be made by people no one has ever heard of, building things like bridges, castles, or sports stadiums covering particular regions and selling them for 5$ or something.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Fly Tampa

Exactly, Fly Tampa have also announced Vienna. FT has a much greater record than Gaya in my opinion.  Gaya is ignoring the rules to try and get people to associate LOWW with them and not some other developer.. who is it again ?.. oh their strategy’s working...

The popularity of MSFS as a platform to a much, much larger consumer base will hopefully attract other third party companies and individuals that create mods for other games and compel them to create airports, POI scenery packs (bridges, buildings, water towers, stadiums, etc.), and other goodies for MFS v1.x at prices that many more users can afford and are willing to pay. 

There could be thousands of new casual pilots that would pay $10 for an airport instead of a few hundred new casual pilots that would pay $30 for the airport. Competition may be good in the MS Marketplace.

• Like 5

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

25 minutes ago, Xtremekh said:

New previews of another airport by them:

When I compare that screenshot to my testing version, for me it just confirms what I wrote above. Sure, it's a more realistic depiction of the airport, but what price will most people be willing to pay for this? 20$? I don't really think so.

This might be hard for some people here to take, but in the grand scheme of things, considering the overall potential customer base of the MSFS market, no one will really care very much for things like accurate runway markings or slightly more realistic buildings on a small airport.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, in2tech said:

Well first off didn't Asobo say there were 80 hand crafted airports

No, they said 80 would get extra attention not handcrafted. Which basically means making things more accurate, but no custom scenery.

8 hours ago, Baber20 said:

Ignoring his NDA ? Do you see watermarks ? Its obvious they got approval from Asobo/Microsoft to share these images, hence no watermarks.

There are watermarks in the images.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

No, they said 80 would get extra attention not handcrafted. Which basically means making things more accurate, but no custom scenery.

That's how I also understood it. So these 80 hopefully come on top of the 40 handcrafted. Would be nice to have a list of these too btw. I guess Renton which we've seen in some videos will be one of them.

Edited by RALF9636

Apart from my local airport (EGGD) - I won't be buying any add-ons for at least a week 😂

So far I've spent about £2000 and I've not even upgraded my GPU yet 🙄

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

5 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

MS is in control of the in-game market place...

Good.  Does that mean that the likes of PSS/Blackbox will be banned as well as the rubbish scenery developers out there?? 

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, NZ255 said:

Exactly, Fly Tampa have also announced Vienna. FT has a much greater record than Gaya in my opinion.  Gaya is ignoring the rules to try and get people to associate LOWW with them and not some other developer.. who is it again ?.. oh their strategy’s working...

Was it gaya that made EDI and KGS? 

If I remember rightly both where realeased with out being properly tested???  

14ppkc-6.png

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

On the other hand, what they lose in up-front price they might regain in sales volume, sooooo.........

Yes, they should consider the XBox market. I don't think many XBoxers will stand for $49.95 for a single airport.

If devs implement differential pricing (XBox $19 and PC $49) I think people will riot. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

Supposedly this dev group, Aerosoft and Orbx have received much better support from MS than other dev's. Rumor that many including Flightbeam are nashing their teeth with issues due to the aforementioned favoritism. Wouldn't surprise me. Aerosoft I imagine would not want FSL and their Airbus on the platform for as long as possible I would guess. I wouldn't buy their Airbus stuff...ever.

• Like 1

Eric