Sign in to follow this  
suncoastflyer

Vienna! First Airport!

23 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Supposedly this dev group, Aerosoft and Orbx have received much better support from MS than other dev's. Rumor that many including Flightbeam are nashing their teeth with issues due to the aforementioned favoritism. Wouldn't surprise me. Aerosoft I imagine would not want FSL and their Airbus on the platform for as long as possible I would guess. I wouldn't buy their Airbus stuff...ever.

Proof? Otherwise is a fake news 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

38 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Supposedly this dev group, Aerosoft and Orbx have received much better support from MS than other dev's. Rumor that many including Flightbeam are nashing their teeth with issues due to the aforementioned favoritism. Wouldn't surprise me. Aerosoft I imagine would not want FSL and their Airbus on the platform for as long as possible I would guess. I wouldn't buy their Airbus stuff...ever.

That makes no sense.  Everyone should have the SDK already.  Those are 2 different products also in terms of quality and fidelity and probably in terms of aircraft access also.  It's not going to help or hurt sales for those that get press releases out first.

Edit:  Actually those that are last to get their screenies in (past the release date) might actually have access to about 80 million new users that are not even aware of sites like this one, the individual 3PD sites, etc.  You stand more of a chance of getting hyped after the sim goes gold.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Speaking of which, hopefully MS lists/links all the news sites, and at least some of the 3PDs, on some sort of community page once the sim releases.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

1 hour ago, hanhamreds said:

Apart from my local airport (EGGD) - I won't be buying any add-ons for at least a week 😂

So far I've spent about £2000 and I've not even upgraded my GPU yet 🙄

I know how you feel, I'm currently tarting up my PC for the new sim, and by the time I've finished that, any new airport I like the look of better not be more than fifteen quid or it's not getting bought, even if the default airports in the UK do appear to suck if that preview of EGCC which I saw was anything to go by 🤣

Personally, I think - especially with this new sim and its new market - some developers will need to look up what the expression 'economy of scale' means and how it's a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

When I compare that screenshot to my testing version, for me it just confirms what I wrote above. Sure, it's a more realistic depiction of the airport, but what price will most people be willing to pay for this? 20$? I don't really think so.

This might be hard for some people here to take, but in the grand scheme of things, considering the overall potential customer base of the MSFS market, no one will really care very much for things like accurate runway markings or slightly more realistic buildings on a small airport.

I will. Default airports are default airports. Terrible to look at.

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

49 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Proof? Otherwise is a fake news 

Supposedly reference to it is in the forums that the dev's are using to discuss the SDK and issues with it.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

1 hour ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

That makes no sense.  Everyone should have the SDK already.  T

My understanding is that's not the case and only selected developers had access. 

5 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

When I compare that screenshot to my testing version, for me it just confirms what I wrote above. Sure, it's a more realistic depiction of the airport, but what price will most people be willing to pay for this? 20$? I don't really think so.

This might be hard for some people here to take, but in the grand scheme of things, considering the overall potential customer base of the MSFS market, no one will really care very much for things like accurate runway markings or slightly more realistic buildings on a small airport.

This. Yes, it looks great. But considering the relatively small amount of work, how good default MSFS looks & considering it's just one airport (like others will be) in a world of 37,000. They shouldn't be charging more than £2.99-£4.99.

Honestly, i actually think it'd be a big benefit for them & other third party devs to charge reasonably small amounts & target a much bigger audience then charge much more catered to fewer people. Especially considering the points above. 

• Upvote 1

sure, but this thing is an airport they are already selling for other sims.  If they had it priced at 10 bucks US, they could expect all sorts of rage from people who bought it for p3d for much more.

With the far higher general quality of airports and scenery in MSFS2020 over say FSX or other sim where upgrades were necessary due to the terrible default quality, I'd be surprised in the present whether charging £30-40 a pop for each airport will get the punters in as expected. 

It's a different time now and presumably the proportion of casual simmers to serious ones will grow far higher, so I suspect most won't entertain the idea of paying half the cost of the whole game for very minor addons.

The pricing structure will have to adapt for these guys to survive in this new generation sim.

Edited by AllRed
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Doug47 said:

My understanding is that's not the case and only selected developers had access. 

Actually I doesn't even matter, even if they don't, they'll get it.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

5 hours ago, Chock said:

Personally, I think - especially with this new sim and its new market - some developers will need to look up what the expression 'economy of scale' means and how it's a good thing.

I totally agree, and if they don't understand economy of scale then hopefully other companies and create DLC and mods for other games, and do understand economy of scale, take their place and produce products for the masses. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Another thing to consider: each tier above standard gets you an additional 5 handcrafted airports and 5 aircraft, for $30. So we’re talking roughly $3 per airport (I’m being generous here — in fact, the airplanes really make up more than 50% of the value in these packages).

That’s the pricing/value proposition that will anchor your customers’ expectations, guys. I know, I know, your airports are better than what’s in these base editions. Fine. Are they 10x better? And can you convince your customers that they are?

It’s a new world. And the developers that adapt quickest will thrive.

James

• Like 3

9 hours ago, B777ER said:

Supposedly this dev group, Aerosoft and Orbx have received much better support from MS than other dev's.

I once mentioned that about PMDG (which also seems to be true given how far into development they are) and some dev guy laughed at me. Seems like it's true after all. And it's nothing bad. Of course MS will work together closely with the big names in the business. Makes sense in terms of improving the quality of their product.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The idea that a large increase of the flight simulator user base (if any) will automatically translate in the same or close increase of the addon market is a fantasy. My speculation is that the law of diminish returns might be rather brutal.

And again if I sympathize with people financially limited, I do not think that asking  30 € regular price/15 € sale price for Vienna is really a shame. Also, let me be unpopular till the end, if we want addons, we have to accept that the devs want to get rich 🤣

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam