Sign in to follow this  
dyl55

Autopilot problem

Hey

am I doing something wrong with autopilot or is it an issue ?

I do the same as p3d with the cessna 172, hit AP then nav then alt and scroll to the altitude wanted and then the plane set the trim all the way down and he is going crazy 😞 

Thanks

The autopilot in P3D as quite simplified from the real thing.  I'm making a flight right now using the 172, and it is holding altitude, though it took a little fiddling with knobs to get it to work.  Rather than lead you down the wrong path, I think it would be better if someone with more knowledge told you how to work it.

Edited by andyjohnston.net

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Hey thanks, i am never had a problem in years with p3d with the same autopilot, so either I am doing something wrong since that time or my sim is kaput 🙂 

After setting your desired altitude, you need to manually set the desired Vertical Speed to reach it. Click the VS button and then NOSE UP or NOSE DN buttons to set your desired vertical speed. When it reaches the set altitude, it will automatically switch back to ALT mode and maintain.

32 minutes ago, RotBot said:

After setting your desired altitude, you need to manually set the desired Vertical Speed to reach it. Click the VS button and then NOSE UP or NOSE DN buttons to set your desired vertical speed. When it reaches the set altitude, it will automatically switch back to ALT mode and maintain.

ok so just to clarify... Set your desired altitude but DON'T click the Alt button.. then set your VS, and then enable autopilot, and once the desired altitude has been reached, the ALT is automatically triggered ?

2 hours ago, realm174 said:

ok so just to clarify... Set your desired altitude but DON'T click the Alt button.. then set your VS, and then enable autopilot, and once the desired altitude has been reached, the ALT is automatically triggered ?

Yes. That will work to pre-select everything before turning on AP. You can also do it while AP is engaged.

2 hours ago, realm174 said:

Right, when you press ALT that's the ALT HOLD function. It will hold the current altitude.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

thank you guys, Finally managed to make it work 😄 He is still very sensitive but it works 😄

I have the same problem and will try the above instructions later. But, is it supposed to be like this, or is there an issue with FS2020? I think it's strange, that an autopilot issue is not mentioned in any news articles about FS2020, that I have read.

I just realized, that the Cessna 172 autopilot works fine and is diffrent to what I expected. But I am still having an issues with other planes, e.g. the Airbus autopilot. The trimming goes out of control.

There is definitely a bug in the C172 autopilot. I'm having the same issue where the trim goes all the way down and plane stalls. The order you set it should not matter, either it should hold current altitude if you press alt hold or climb according to FLC or even VS. But nope, as soon as I engage AP, trim goes wayyyy down no matter what. If I get it up to Level flight and then tell it hold it there, it will 90% of the time will.

Just wonky all around still.

Another thing, sometimes the scroll wheel will adjust by 1x and sometimes by multiples of 10, it has a mind of it's own on when to do what. 

Really hope they fix these issues, very annoying. 

I figured out why the 10/1000 interval thing happens.... but I wonder if this is what also causes the AP to go haywire on the trims?

This problem happens when a button or switch that is mapped is constantly in a pressed state (Held on).

The Honeycomb has multiple on/off switches that could be bound to lights etc. However, whenever you do so, this problem happens. As soon as your release all buttons or switches from their constantly pressed state to off state things return to normal.
Another thing you'll notice is when you're in the settings for the controls, if one of the buttons is in a pressed state, and you press other buttons/switches... they will NOT flash like they normally do on the mapping screen. Nothing flashes while the pressed buttons stays lit.
I think this problem not only causes the 10/1000 intervals but also other problems such as forced full trims etc.
I don't have the honeycomb yoke but I have a home-made switch box and I use a Leo Bodnar board and same thing happens when I have one of the switches flipped to ON (lights). I can only use buttons that are momentary on/off for now. Not switches.
so either unbind those switches or use them as on/off meaning, use as toggle instead of set states.

Edited by n19htmare

I have the same issue in FS2020 specifically with the C172 G1000. As soon as I engage autopilot, it goes full nose up. Moving the trim wheel to correct only results in override and it going full nose up again. Renders the plane unusable. 

The video below clearly shows what's going on for me.

https://youtu.be/fZH6veXeYi8

I have seen autopilot issues in the DA62.  I set the altitude and heading bug, and enable the AP.  The aircraft turns away from the heading that is set and dives.  Also NAV mode doesn't work, but turns away from the track that should be followed.  I've seen other forums where people describe similar issues with other planes.  I know that the AP in MSFS2020 sometimes works as intended.  I don't have a lot of data, but it seems random or, at least, intermittent.  I hope this gets fixed soon.