Sign in to follow this  
John Snyder Jr

787 Autopilot

On 8/23/2020 at 10:28 PM, Bigsby said:

About six months is all we got.I'm sure these

Guys have budget to work with and when it

Runs out its going to be left to third party and

Freeware to pick up the pieces

Please stop with the fear mongering nonsense...

...Asobo isn't some third-world Indie developer! <sheesh>

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They certainly have third rate quality control. It seems they haven’t had any pilot try this thing before release, or they just ignored them for a quick buck. Biggest nonsense was to release a game so unfinished. i hope my opinion doesn’t offend you, I waited for this a long time like many. Unlike some, I am being truthful.

No, honesty will never offend me. However blatant hyperbole and disinformation royally chafes my bum... 

The simple fact is that Asobo were caught with their virtual pants dropped around their ankles when MS suddenly required them to make a way too early release. So if anyone wishes to vent their speen, at least have the integrity to pick the right target for their ire!

• Like 5

Fr. Bill    

20 hours ago, n4gix said:

No, honesty will never offend me. However blatant hyperbole and disinformation royally chafes my bum... 

The simple fact is that Asobo were caught with their virtual pants dropped around their ankles when MS suddenly required them to make a way too early release. So if anyone wishes to vent their speen, at least have the integrity to pick the right target for their ire!

I see. I think then your bum will be relieved  to know I make no distinction between Asobo or Microsoft when complaining. I didn’t know who Asobo was and still don’t. I am simply an enthusiast pilot customer that had moderate expectations shattered.

Asobo are the little 200+ member team from France who've spent the last six years developing MSFS. They have another ten years of continuous development ahead.

Microsoft in this instance has been mainly "Daddy Warbucks" to Asobo's "Little Orphan Annie..." 😄

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 5:05 AM, n4gix said:

I have the same opinion. Microsoft for sure pay Asobo since a long time for the development and wanted now cash to come in. So they speeded  the release up. Well i would have waited more but i am very happy with what we got. I was more an airline typ on P3D and now enjoy doing some VFR. 

• Like 1

🙂

The Airbus A320 works pretty fine, shure not perfect but - i did around 13 Flights  with the Bus now with ILS landing also

and it is realy good so far.

Autopilot on Landing is a bit tricky ( shot em off at about 50 feet over the Runway ) but mostly at all flight i get the bird down OK, except some first flights

just have to learn the AP ( as it is coded in the current state ) and you good to go.

And the model looks so good for a stock Aircraft..

regards 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I just finished a successful IFR flight in the 787. The flight was sett up in the planner, to include STAR and approach. The LNAV worked fine. I used VS for altitude change. I didn't try to make any changes to the flight plan once in the plane. 

The only problem I had with this was ATC clearing me to lower altitudes too late and I was unable to intercept the ILS glide path in time, even using 3,000 fpm descents. I had to disengage the autopilot on final and was able to make a diving approach to the runway (diving to the runway is not a preferred technique).

So for now my workarounds for the auto-flight deficiencies is to complete the route in the planner, don't make changes through the CDU, and use basic (VS) altitude change control. I'll also have to ignore the ATC clearances to get into proper position to intercept the glide path.

Fr. Bill, I've enjoyed and benefitted from your posts throughout the years. This may not be the most appropriated place for this, but many thanks to you.

• Upvote 1

787 baffles me!

would anyone have any decent tutorials or instructions on how to fly this beast correctly?

very new to flight sim!

Also, please keep in mind that the MSFS forum here at AVSIM is strictly user to user and is not routinely monitored by ASOBO.  They have their own forum site if you wish to direct questions or concerns to them.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I have successfully flown the 787 from Seattle (KSEA) to Vancouver (CYVR) with autopilot and landed on runway 26L with ILS. I first had a missed approach with auto-thrust turned on, but that was probably on me, the plane started to ascend right above the runway again. After that I have then been able to reprogram the flight plan for a second approach on the FMS and without auto-thrust everything worked out fine. During the flight I have used VNAV, LNAV, heading and approach mode. Only after takeoff it behaved strangely, but after disengaging the AP once and turning it on again, everything worked fine.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, gallen144 said:

I just finished a successful IFR flight in the 787. The flight was sett up in the planner, to include STAR and approach. The LNAV worked fine. I used VS for altitude change. I didn't try to make any changes to the flight plan once in the plane. 

The only problem I had with this was ATC clearing me to lower altitudes too late and I was unable to intercept the ILS glide path in time, even using 3,000 fpm descents. I had to disengage the autopilot on final and was able to make a diving approach to the runway (diving to the runway is not a preferred technique).

So for now my workarounds for the auto-flight deficiencies is to complete the route in the planner, don't make changes through the CDU, and use basic (VS) altitude change control. I'll also have to ignore the ATC clearances to get into proper position to intercept the glide path.

I had the exact same experience KSFO-KSEA. I was much too high on approach and then opted for a successful emergency landing.

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

On 8/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, B787Pilot3222 said:

How do you engage GPS routing on the 787?

In the QW 787, after uploading the route from your flight planner and winds from Active sky, via weather uplink and confirming weights, departure, arrival and fuel in the EFB, you select LNav and VNav before take off. After take off and above 400', engage autopilot and that's that!

In MSFS I haven't seen anyone doing that. Perhaps in 6 months?