Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Active Pause needs some work

Was in stable flight at FL22 in the Citation and went into active pause to check something. Image froze as usual but as I was checking other things I noticed the airspeed just kept dropping. When I came out of active pause, I was in an immediate stall and dropping like a stone. Ultimately recovered but it also took a minute or two to get the AP functioning properly again. Every time I switched it back on the nose went straight up and I had no control authority. Ultimately got it squared away and rest of flight was uneventful.

Not a particularly good experience, IMHO.  Still like a lot about MSFS2020 but keep finding little loose ends here and there that need fixing. Will be interested to see what's in the first patch.

Vic

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yeah I don't know what they intended with Active Pause but it definitely doesn't seem to perform the way it was described as.  I ended up binding two keys to the hard Pause and "unpause" commands (there's no toggle).  They show up separate from the one bound to Esc in the bindings and have no bindings by default.  They allow you to pause like Esc but stay in the "world view" like Active Pause.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

38 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Was in stable flight at FL22 in the Citation and went into active pause to check something. Image froze as usual but as I was checking other things I noticed the airspeed just kept dropping. When I came out of active pause, I was in an immediate stall and dropping like a stone. Ultimately recovered but it also took a minute or two to get the AP functioning properly again. Every time I switched it back on the nose went straight up and I had no control authority. Ultimately got it squared away and rest of flight was uneventful.

Not a particularly good experience, IMHO.  Still like a lot about MSFS2020 but keep finding little loose ends here and there that need fixing. Will be interested to see what's in the first patch.

Vic

Same thing happened to me, but I think it might be because I had the autopilot on.  I use active pause a lot - whenever passing over something interesting to hop in the drone camera for a bit.  Most of my flying has been hand flown til this point, but started using the AP in the Cessna 172 lately.  When I hit active pause, the AP went nuts and kept trying to trim as if I was in a stall.  When I came back off of pause the plane started to plummet and for the rest of the flight the AP was useless.  Was getting ready to report a bug on zendesk.

Guest SeanMo
5 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Active Pause needs work.  So does every other feature in this program.

Troll.

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

This has been known for a while, but I have never considered it a bug, just a way that this sim works and something to be mindful of when using that feature. 

In fact, when asked about it quite awhile ago, Asobo confirmed it to be working as expected, and advised not using the feature unless one was in level flight before doing so.

There was also a caution about using it with live weather active.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Vic

Should post your concerns and observations on the MS Zendesk to get noticed. Based on things I see on there resolved issues list it’s pretty high level stuff and not much of what we are talking about on this forum.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

26 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

This has been known for a while, but I have never considered it a bug, just a way that this sim works and something to be mindful of when using that feature. 

In fact, when asked about it quite awhile ago, Asobo confirmed it to be working as expected, and advised not using the feature unless one was in level flight before doing so.

There was also a caution about using it with live weather active.

Well, let's see - I was in level flight, I was using real weather and I did have the AP on. Two out of three to fail. I prefer the old "P" key.

I think there are a lot of undocumented  things to get used to in this sim. Trial and error takes a while.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

6 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Well, let's see - I was in level flight, I was using real weather and I did have the AP on. Two out of three to fail. I prefer the old "P" key.

I think there are a lot of undocumented  things to get used to in this sim. Trial and error takes a while.

Vic

Someone also suggests you have to adjust your thrust and wait until the speed settles, before you deactivate active pause. The flight engine is still running during the pause, and when you un-pause, all those effects that were accumulating while you were "paused" can hit at once.......

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Reported as a bug one month ago. Status has changed to solved today, probably it's now on their internal bug/to-do list.

My understanding of an active pause is that all calculations/renderings like traffic, sound, environment and weather -except the own aircraft simulation- would continue in the background.

Regards, Sebastian

2 minutes ago, fly_edds said:

Status has changed to solved today, probably it's now on their internal bug/to-do list.

There's also the possibility they've simply checked it off and disagree that it's a bug that needs to be worked on. I've seen that happen as well. I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

Devons rig

56 minutes ago, SeanMo said:

Troll.

The observation was correct. Just because you disagree is no need to label someone. MSFS has lots of potential, but needs plenty of work.

David Porrett

Vic

I can attest to this happening across the whole fleet. It's happened to me in the Bonanza loads; mostly when I'm trying to crawl my way to altitude and only just being able to keep a 300ft per minute climb! 😉

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

Never used active pause, don't even know what key it is, if I have to pause I just hit ESC

• Like 2

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster