Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Smoother and better fps with more detail

On 8/27/2020 at 1:19 PM, SteveFx said:

I have a slight suspicion that the current version of the sim works smoother when the gpu is limiting. I have seen the frame time on occasion exceed either the cpu or gpu times which suggests some stalling/contention.

I have a weaker (4 core cpu) compared with a 1900x1200 monitor and a 1070 gpu.  I have increased my render scaling to 130 to make the gpu be the limit which is similar to what Robert describes.

Exactly what I found! Best way to reduce stutters was to make the sim GPU limited. Makes sense, though, I think. GPU timing is generally much more deterministic because the "tasks" are much more constrained. 

On 8/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, HiFlyer said:

This is all a bit frustrating for me. My experience of the sim is at consistently good FPS with almost no discernible stuttering, yet all around me, people are pretty much screaming in pain, while I have no clue what is causing such wildly varying individual results.....

At the moment, I'm on the high end preset, with essentially seamlessly smooth flight, on a system not noticeably more powerful than that rocked by many people here.... So....... what the heck is happening?

uMM4zO.jpg

You've got a newer higher end gaming focused system....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

4 core cpus's are definitely challenged.  Not only are those 4 cores handling the main threads, but also are having to do the OS background tasks like spinning up the hard drive, etc

I have a Radeon RX580 with an i5-7400 and have locked down my frame rates to 30fps using the Radeon Chill.  This makes my GPU dependent 99 percent of the time.

I also keep my Terrain and Object LOD sliders down to 25.  This keeps my CPU from getting pegged most of the time.  Things get hairy if I attempt to buzz roof tops in manhattan, but otherwise If I fly sanely, I can achieve 30 fps most of the time, which for this system it's a win win.  I use Medium settings, but dial down the LOD sliders to 25, boost my clouds to Ultra, (gotta have good sky) and turn off field of View.

Of course I still get occassional pauses as new scenery loads in, and I don't see that changing until I get a more capable CPU that won't slog down when a new area loads in.  

Considering I used to think 20FPS was a pipe dream in FSX, I can't really complain.  But I am shopping for a new Rig, or I just might see what happens when MSFS comes out for the series x.  That might be an alternative, especially if Microsoft allows for some existing flight peripherals to be used.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, HiFlyer said:

This is all a bit frustrating for me. My experience of the sim is at consistently good FPS with almost no discernible stuttering, yet all around me, people are pretty much screaming in pain, while I have no clue what is causing such wildly varying individual results.....

At the moment, I'm on the high end preset, with essentially seamlessly smooth flight, on a system not noticeably more powerful than that rocked by many people here.... So....... what the heck is happening?

uMM4zO.jpg

EDIT: I thought I was counting 13 CPU threads there, but I guess the bottom one means something else?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

EDIT: I thought I was counting 13 CPU threads there, but I guess the bottom one means something else?

Average of all CPUs combined.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

21 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Its not a tweak I found but I did just now, in the "in-game" UI (top of screen) under setting (far right option) turn OFF the map, got 2 FPS and after a restart got an extra 5 FPS, people are all reporting +5 and I can confirm also from 44 FPS to 49/50 FPS.

Can you (or anyone else) please lend a hand in finding this?  I take it you mean this is in the settings menu somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find a map setting to turn off.  Even using the (highly useful) search tool for the word "map" doesn't show me much.   Got a screenshot or something?

Thanks in advance.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

51 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Can you (or anyone else) please lend a hand in finding this?  I take it you mean this is in the settings menu somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find a map setting to turn off.  Even using the (highly useful) search tool for the word "map" doesn't show me much.   Got a screenshot or something?

Thanks in advance.

You have even quoted the place to find it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I seriously do not understand these settings because if I run ULTRA 1440p = 30 FPS in the 747 at KJFK.

Medium/low settings = the same, 30 fps.

Not limiting FPS, still increase if looking straight in the ground or something. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth