Sign in to follow this  
SidekickUBT

Question - Will 2d cockpit view ever be available?

Because it's outdated. the 3D cockpits and free view are just as easy to use.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Because it's outdated. the 3D cockpits and free view are just as easy to use.

I agree. I don’t think it’s necessary. It’s not a thing in X-Plane 11 either and with free view and the ability to adjust your eye level in the cockpit, it’s more or less been rendered obsolete. 

• Like 2

Its not required and the thought of a static picture overlaid on the sim world makes me shudder. 

Just set up some custom views and you will be fine with the 3D virtual cockpit!

• Like 1

2D can be a good option for making a simple home cockpit. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

8 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

2D can be a good option for making a simple home cockpit. 

I never thought of that, I agree. One monitor for the visuals and a monitor below that with the 2D panel. 

I was waiting for someone to ask this question...  Like others have said 2D is obsolete and that's a good thing.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'll NEVER understand why people agree with or even encourage removing features that other people find useful, just to signal their support for a piece of software.

There are a myriad of reasons for having a 2D or forward looking cockpitless view. Just because YOU don't need it, does not mean its not useful or necessary for others.

Come on man, no one doubts the size of your love shrine to the FS2020 cult, it's okay if we could get at least one of the dozens of missing features in FS2020 that we've been using for nearly 40 years... your deity Microasobo will not be angry and punish you if you're not 100% satisfied with their product and crawl over broken glass begging and bleeding for basic features and mechanics necessary for simulating flying an aircraft.

Edited by pmanhart
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

2D cockpits are gross and fake hahah

when I got FSX and saw the 2D panel, I was shocked that it even existed considering virtual cockpits existed, and I couldn’t wrap my head around why anyone would use one. Where is the airplane? How can you feel for the ground when you don’t even know where the airplane is?

And whilst we're at it, why have they got rid of those wireframe graphics? Sure, they looked like a pile of cack, but these days you'd probably get 2,000 fps with them. 🤣

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2D is more consistent with real-life desktop aviation training devices ("All instrument displays listed above must be visible during all flight operations." and the displays "...must provide an image of the instrument that: (a) Does not appear to be out of focus or illegible. (b) Does not appear to “jump” or “step” to a distracting degree during operation. (c) Does not appear with distracting jagged lines or edges." FAA AC_61-136A).

And 2D allows users to build simple home cockpits with a few screens (as noted earlier). 

It might not be how you like to game, but it is how some like to sim. I have no doubt it will be possible to use external 2D panels at some point ( though probably not in-sim). 

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Yeah, another and supposedly better option is to provide a separate VC only window, or even better, a second copy of MSFS running on a networked PC dedicated to VC display. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, FlyingInACessna said:

2D cockpits are gross and fake hahah

when I got FSX and saw the 2D panel, I was shocked that it even existed considering virtual cockpits existed, and I couldn’t wrap my head around why anyone would use one. Where is the airplane? How can you feel for the ground when you don’t even know where the airplane is?

I’ve found with most top payware add-ons over the years that the opposite is true. The most realistic looking were / are 2D.  Some of those photorealistic panels were and still are works of art. A lot of VC’s have a very rubber, plastic, lifeless feel to them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pmanhart said:

I'll NEVER understand why people agree with or even encourage removing features that other people find useful, just to signal their support for a piece of software.

There are a myriad of reasons for having a 2D or forward looking cockpitless view. Just because YOU don't need it, does not mean its not useful or necessary for others.

Come on man, no one doubts the size of your love shrine to the FS2020 cult, it's okay if we could get at least one of the dozens of missing features in FS2020 that we've been using for nearly 40 years... your deity Microasobo will not be angry and punish you if you're not 100% satisfied with their product and crawl over broken glass begging and bleeding for basic features and mechanics necessary for simulating flying an aircraft.

Because technology has moved on.  We are moving toward full 3D headware (Oculus), there's no need for five oversize monitors anymore.  This has nothing to do with a FS2020 cult it has everything to do with progress.  Just like we moved away from VHS/Beta, CD, DVD, etc this is another example and we are all better for it.  Much less hardware you need at your house.

• Like 3

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2