Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

A question about copilot and landing inaccuracy.

Anyone using the Autopilot.copilot feature has probably experienced the plane suddenly losing its mind and doing something silly, such as missing the airport entirely, suddenly tilting into a death spiral, landing completely off the runway,.... and more.

Earlier in beta when seeing this, I started wondering about the people who had been paid to trace the airports.

I surmise that many had no previous experience in simming or aviation, and remnants of that lack of knowledge remain throughout the sim. 

Misaligned taxi lines, wavering runway lines, misplaced objects, the propensity of planes to get lost and wander when taxiing.....

I wonder about the accuracy of the airport tracing done using the Asobo tool, and wonder of some of the AI confusion being seen might be due to airports being inaccurately of clumsily traced out.

Or does that have nothing to do with anything? I have no idea, but I am curious.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Some of the airport work was given to Orbx, so they should see least know what they're doing.

And then some was outsourced somewhere overseas and that's where those issues might come from.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Your absolutely correct about the airports. Most of them consist of runways and a few taxiways. If you're lucky, an airport might have some hangars, a windsock and few buildings that look like a public housing project from 1956. But I actually like the fact that the stock airports are merely a template for users and developers to produce better versions. My advice is to download the SDK and get to work. 🤓 If nothing else, you'll learn about the guts of MSFS. And you might even make better versions of your local airports.

As to the AI, It's just a hot mess. I hope that it has nothing to do with the airports.

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

the plane suddenly losing its mind and doing something silly, such as missing the airport entirely, suddenly tilting into a death spiral, landing completely off the runway,.... and more.

You've clearly never operated with a 250 hr co-pilot during line-training (or even afterwards!)