Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimmer Pete

Favourite aircraft for VFR

2 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

Currently, Caravan EX for bush flying, "dangerous" small airstrips, mountainous regions. I'm having a good time.

Same here. I also like that it’s a workhorse in the real world for this kind of stuff. It feels more authentic taking off from some remote foreign airstrip in the grand caravan. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

7 hours ago, bbking said:

None at this moment! Waiting for Helo's to come...

I love choppers also, their great for VFR.

I like the Baron, always had a soft spot for it, my go to aircraft ATM is the Cessna 172, it cruises along at a nice speed with reasonably good visibility.

7 hours ago, roi1862 said:

I found the caravan quite enjoyable as well. My only issue is that the glass cockpit causing stutters and performance issues. And it even got 3 displays so its even worse...

Try the 15Hz fps fix..

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/small-js-config-file-mod-to-gain-10-15-fps-in-airliners-and-glass-cockpit-planes/221308

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

172 steam gauges.  The 152 is getting time also.  Watched videos of the Carenando 182t offering though!  In my case, I am trying to re-learn landings with my Honeycomb yoke, so really trying to master that with only one or two similar planes.  Back pressure, back pressure on landing.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

5 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Same here. I also like that it’s a workhorse in the real world for this kind of stuff. It feels more authentic taking off from some remote foreign airstrip in the grand caravan. 

Completely agree. And it has a particular solidity and stability which has its own appeal. I also love the savage cub but it is pretty word not allowed twitchy. Part of the fun 🙂

I care very much about detailed systems, procedures, flight models, etc. But this sim has turned me back into my 12 year old self. And as such, I realise that the savage cub can potentially be landed on helipads. There's one about 1500 feet up on the clock tower at Mecca which I have my eye on. Obviously this is just a break from hard IFR activities, engaged upon with an absolute seriousness 🙂

Separately, I didn't think I was going to enjoy the TBM, having been spoilt by HotStart. But actually I think it is ok - some things missing, ITT is wrong at altitude etc, and I miss the massive engine fires you could cause by being out by 5 seconds on the startup.

One thing I wanted to say - there's been a lot of griping about bugs/inop features on default aircraft. However, I haven't forgotten that I was only expecting a couple of defaults at launch, and I think that Asobo really gave a generous selection from the get-go. All of which can be improved on. I'd rather have 20+ at 60% completeness on day one than 5 at 70%. A really solid foundation. And I don't think a complex 100% ready at launch aircraft has ever existed (someone correct me if this has ever been the case)...

Having some fun finally after patch and enabling HT, flying every where on the c172 with steam gauges.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I've been slowly making my way VFR across the USA from the East coast to West and only allowing myself to fly one new plane per day out of the 30 aircraft in the Deluxe Preemie Cheeseburger package, starting from the slowest/smaller ones and going up, with several 100-150nM legs flown each day with touch-n-goes along the way in each aircraft to really get to know them.  As of today I have flown 16 of the 30 aircraft and although this means I have had to spend a day with a plane or two that I wasn't terribly excited about, I'm really happy I'm doing it this way since it's going to be a little while until we see native aircraft released for this sim and I want to avoid filling the hangar too early with half-baked converted aircraft from FSX.  

And out of the 16 planes so far, some have been surprisingly enjoyable - the DA40 for instance, particularly the TDI version since it has steam gauges, it would be a nice full tourer if it had an AP and if the fuel transfer function actually worked.  On the downside, the Robin 400 and CAP10 were less than expected and in particular I couldn't get out of the DR400 fast enough. For a trainer, I'll take a 152 any day.  It behaves like it actually wants to climb and fly. 🙂

However the biggest surprise was what a great VFR day-tripper the Pitts S2 is.  The Extra 300LT bills itself as a tourer but with no autopilot and twitchy handling I said goodbye to it after staying on top of flying it through most of Wyoming and Colorado.  The Pitts has even less amenities but can hold a steady heading for much longer, zips right along and if you want better forward visibility just flip it over on its back,  which is great fun and easy with that really smooth roll rate it has.  It's a bit of a short-coupled, blind sumb*tch on short final, but rewards the pilot who keeps a smooth hand until touchdown.  Just a good stick-and-rudder aeroplane. 

Tomorrow I'll take off on a morning flight from Big Bear Lake and park her at KREI in So Cal,  where I'll take delivery of a shiny new SR22 to try out, and finish my westward trek with a flight to Catalina Island.  Can't wait!

59YD8sz.png

L4NjXkJ.png

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Pipestral Virus, C172, C182, and Caravan.