Sign in to follow this  
John Fields

London Photogrametry is messy

Hi,

In the city of London, 3D modeled buildings are mixed with the rest of the photogrammetry buildings. The result is a pretty ugly mix. I don't know yet what the scenery looks like disabling photogrammetry. I'll try it this afternoon.

I hope Orbx will adapt its scenario to the parts of the city that did look good on the Update that were not present on the Orbx addon.

• Like 1

Yes. OrbX are looking at it.  They need a week or so and there will be an updated download.  It will fit in with the new Asobo changes. 
They say they will look to enhance it even more if they can.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

59 minutes ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

In the city of London, 3D modeled buildings are mixed with the rest of the photogrammetry buildings. The result is a pretty ugly mix. I don't know yet what the scenery looks like disabling photogrammetry. I'll try it this afternoon.

I hope Orbx will adapt its scenario to the parts of the city that did look good on the Update that were not present on the Orbx addon.

They might be doing a bit more than that 🙂

Reference : https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/205264-compatibility-of-orbx-landmarks-london-city-pack-with-microsoft-world-update-united-kingdom/

In addition, we are planning a comprehensive content update in a few weeks’ time to add some exciting new landmarks to both packs.

Excited to see what comes about. As you know Orbx work closely with Microsoft and Asobo with these updates already and have updated 85 airports in the sim as part of this update. Looking forward to getting this and other issues fixed.

I did notice there are some water texture issues around EGLC as well, and some building clashes near the Suger factory. I'm sure all will be addressed in good time.

• Like 4

Thread title seems misleading, complaint is about Orbx London landmarks conflicting, not the photogrammetry itself?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

As you know Orbx work closely with Microsoft and Asobo with these updates already

Apparently not close enough to allow Orbx to test London Landmarks compatibilty beforehand ...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

7 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Thread title is very misleading, complaint is about Orbx London landmarks conflicting, not the photogrammetry

No, not at all. It's not a problem between Orbx and Photogrametry. It's a issue in the default scenery by Asobo between the modeled buildings, ships, etc., and the photogrametry.  

Take a flight from London city down the River Thames to Westminster and you will see what I mean: a great contrast between the two types of representation. On the one hand, well-delineated buildings, on the other, buildings and structures that seem to be melting away.

19 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Thread title is very misleading, complaint is about Orbx London landmarks conflicting, not the photogrammetry

I think the confusion is because you read @bobcat999 post, I think the OP was just discussing the mix of models and photogrammetry together - that's it.

The Orbx Landmarks issue we were told quite clearly in the patch notes this scenery conflicts so that has been acknowledged already.

Edited by dtrjones

1 hour ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

Messy? I took the ORBX files out. Default Central London by itself is a photogrammetry disaster. Even on ultra, the buildings look melted and weirdly off.

Lee

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

1 hour ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

Misleading?  Possibly, but it only takes a second to figure it out.  The OP did mention OrbX in the thread he started, and I was addressing that.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

44 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

They might be doing a bit more than that 🙂

Reference : https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/205264-compatibility-of-orbx-landmarks-london-city-pack-with-microsoft-world-update-united-kingdom/

Excited to see what comes about. As you know Orbx work closely with Microsoft and Asobo with these updates already and have updated 85 airports in the sim as part of this update. Looking forward to getting this and other issues fixed.

I did notice there are some water texture issues around EGLC as well, and some building clashes near the Suger factory. I'm sure all will be addressed in good time.

I hope they improve everything. The landmark packs they did natively for MSFS are far superior than those they converted from other sims.

Comparing the night lighting of their Singapore and Paris packs with the London it’s clear the later can improve a lot. Not to talk about the quality of the landmarks and POIs.

• Like 3

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Is it actually the photogrammetry at fault? I'm under the impression it could be the servers not sending it out quick enough (there is high demand at the moment) thus you may be seeing a lower LOD than you should. Having said that Asobo also said this a new photogrammetry source for them and they needed to process it a different way.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I landed my Icon on a road and it suddenly got all wrinkled and discoloured like photogrammatry.  Any idea why?

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

31 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Messy? I took the ORBX files out. Default Central London by itself is a photogrammetry disaster. Even on ultra, the buildings look melted and weirdly off.

Lee

Really?  Just flew from EGLC past the Dome, canary wharf, the city, the Eye and the BT Tower and I thought they were terrific.  None of the melted look of NYC.  Crisp and impressive though a bit of a hog on frames.  But this was VR, maybe the difference is more noticeable in higher res.

Paul Skol

I'm hoping this will settle down, and that maybe it's the server issues, but so far this looks awful to me. It may not look quite as bad in this shot but on a 40 inch screen at 4k and ultra settings, it's horrible  -

9r1ky9k.jpg

Not just is the PG in maximum melty mode, the clash between the modelled features and the PG buildings is much more noticable than in many other areas of the sim. I'll see how it looks in a few days but this will either become a no-go area for me or at the very least a PG-off city. I'll also be intereseted to see how the revised Orbx London fits in, but on sightings so far, any PG left in the area is going to be an eyesore.

It's a strange one really. If you're of the mindset that says this is meant to be viewed from a distance, then why bother with the modelled POIs? You can't appreciate them unless you get reasonably close. And if you do get that close - then PG invariably lets the scenery down. Personally, I think the two things shouldn't be mixed together in the same location.

Edited by andy1252
edit text
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Photogrammetry was never designed to be looked at that close. It is perfectly adequate about 1500 feet.

And at least the buildings look EXACTLY like the look in real life as opposed to being just an autogen approximation.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 6