Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

Programetry to on or off ?

Hi all ,

Today i did some Testflight over London City with Programetry on and off ( just to see what happens ) and for me the far better solution seems to keep Programetry to off.

Two reasons for that: Mutch better and smoother Frames and the Grafik look also seems so mutch better with PM off ( melted buildings issue ) - so what do you mean ?

And if most people does this also ( PM to off ) what is the sense off this Programetry ? -  because the look isn`t that beautiful all around..🤔

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, pmplayer said:

Hi all ,

Today i did some Testflight over London City with Programetry on and off ( just to see what happens ) and for me the far better solution seems to keep Programetry to off.

Two reasons for that: Mutch better and smoother Frames and the Grafik look also seems so mutch better with PM off ( melted buildings issue ) - so what do you mean ?

And if most people does this also ( PM to off ) what is the sense off this Programetry ? -  because the look isn`t that beautiful all around..🤔

cheers 😉

Either this is crazy or I’m missing something.  Why in the world would anyone rather use this advance sim with FS2000 visuals.  You might as well stay with FSX, P3D, and/or XPlane and you’d still come out better.  If you have to do something like this just uninstall FS2020.  This would be like using a PMDG aircraft and disabling all the advanced avionics.  What’s the point in purchasing it when it’s obvious you prefer lite default type aircraft.  The whole selling point of cloud scenery is to present the most accurate representation of the earth as possible.  If you don’t care about ground reference points which is key in real would aviation again the older cartoon looking sims would be the obvious best option for you. This just blows my mind every time I read something like this.😳

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

31 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Either this is crazy or I’m missing something.  Why in the world would anyone rather use this advance sim with FS2000 visuals.  You might as well stay with FSX, P3D, and/or XPlane and you’d still come out better.  If you have to do something like this just uninstall FS2020.  This would be like using a PMDG aircraft and disabling all the advanced avionics.  What’s the point in purchasing it when it’s obvious you prefer lite default type aircraft.  The whole selling point of cloud scenery is to present the most accurate representation of the earth as possible.  If you don’t care about ground reference points which is key in real would aviation again the older cartoon looking sims would be the obvious best option for you. Either that or just keep it to yourself to each his own. This just blows my mind every time I read something like this.😳

Please, don't tell us how we should use the sim and what to switch on or off!  Your answer sounds very offending to me.

IMO, the OP (@pmplayer) asks a legitimite question. For me it depends on where and how I fly.  In some areas when I'm passing PG cities in a bit distance, PG off is the better choice (Vancouve PG is really bad in a certain distance). If I take off very close or directly in a PG city I have it on. Toronto City is a good example.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 8

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I prefer flying with photogrammetry off. It just doesn't look like. The cities Ive flown to that has it look like a warzone. I think Blackshark.ai have done a tremendous job making the autogen look great. I am of course using bing map photoreal scenery. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

each as he wants, there are areas that look very, very good with Photogrametry others less.
Most of the time i fly the area is without 3d scans anyway, but I always have it on.
My msfs2020 runs smoothly either way (VR flyer).

Edited by Nedo68
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Either this is crazy or I’m missing something.  Why in the world would anyone rather use this advance sim with FS2000 visuals.  You might as well stay with FSX, P3D, and/or XPlane and you’d still come out better.  If you have to do something like this just uninstall FS2020.  This would be like using a PMDG aircraft and disabling all the advanced avionics.  What’s the point in purchasing it when it’s obvious you prefer lite default type aircraft.  The whole selling point of cloud scenery is to present the most accurate representation of the earth as possible.  If you don’t care about ground reference points which is key in real would aviation again the older cartoon looking sims would be the obvious best option for you. This just blows my mind every time I read something like this.😳

I think you are missing something. He 's turned off Photogrammetry - not Bing Imagery. The sim looks fantastic with just Bing Imagery. Yes, it looks like FS2000 in Offline Mode but that's not what the OP is stating he's done; just Photogrammetry off.

I don't bother with it either as it makes cities look post-apocolyptical on my bandwidth. My sim works and looks fantastic with Bing Imagery On and Autogen for the buildings. It would make anyone running FS2000 fall off their chair.

Untitfdyhfgled1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

This is over the top...

Have you tried the sim with photogrammetry off?

Places like Miami actually look better without it.

Its also true that turning it off avoids the MLBs(melted lego buildings) and performs a little better.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I have also tried turning PG off to see the difference and thought, it is not half bad. FPS is better too. I usually fly with it on though but it really is not the be all and end all of making for good visuals. In some areas scenery definitely looks better defined, cleaner and sharper and more realistic with photogrammetry off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I also have disabled Photogrammetry. Not all cities with PG are bad to look at but many of them are. They look too apocalyptic with melted buildings and funny looking obelisk shapes. It's also too dark and doesn't fit in with its surrounding areas. It's not only an eyesore for so many of us but it's darned embarrasing considering this latest flight sim was meant to blow all the others out of the water in terms of eye candy. Well it does but not with PG enabled.

The technology just isn't quite ready yet so I'll happily purchase third party City landmark and airport packs that can look so much better even if it does sit within autogen areas but at least the colour palette matches.

• Like 2

To me in several areas of the world the sim looks better with Photogrammetry OFF, but always with Bing data set to ON. There's nothing compared to having handcrafted 3d models for the landmarks, but this will kill the FPS in the long run. That's the case in London, Chicago (using DD Chicago Landmarks here). In Miami, photogrammetry works very well to me, but I'm using LatinVFR's Miami International KMIA that comes together with handcrafted models of the most emblematic buildings in downtown Miami (Brickell Ave, and its neighboring streets).

So, it's always a compromise between looking and performance, including internet speed.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 minutes ago, edpatino said:

So, it's always a compromise between looking and performance, including internet speed.

Cheers, Ed

Internet speed has nothing to do with it because there have been many reports on Steam, MSF and Avsim forums of people that have speeds that I can only ever dream of where I live and they have issues with PG and the melted building look.

10 minutes ago, edpatino said:

To me in several areas of the world the sim looks better with Photogrammetry OFF, but always with Bing data set to ON. There's nothing compared to having handcrafted 3d models for the landmarks, but this will kill the FPS in the long run. That's the case in London, Chicago (using DD Chicago Landmarks here). In Miami, photogrammetry works very well to me, but I'm using LatinVFR's Miami International KMIA that comes together with handcrafted models of the most emblematic buildings in downtown Miami (Brickell Ave, and its neighboring streets).

Cheers, Ed

I have some breathtaking moments over Miami at night

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

8 minutes ago, Tailwinds said:

Internet speed has nothing to do with it because there have been many reports on Steam, MSF and Avsim forums of people that have speeds that I can only ever dream of where I live and they have issues with PG and the melted building look.

It has. On my vacation house I have a very bad internet connection and there's always the message coming from the sim telling me to turn the Photogrammetry OFF. When I say NO, and leave the Photogrammetry ON, I not only have melted buildings, but all of them looks horrible, with a triangular shape, like if the city was bombarded in WWII, much worse than you can imagine.

For people having good or normal internet speeds all will depend on the quality of the Photogrammetry, which as you mention, is not always the best, depending on where you fly.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

10 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I have some breathtaking moments over Miami at night

Very nice video. Isn't Miami just beautiful?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed