Sign in to follow this  
Manny

British Airways Flight 38 B777 Two engine failure...Incident

I hadn't seen a post on this here... I hope I am not repeating this topic.

Fascinating video...

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The pilot of this aeroplane wrote an interesting book about the incident some years ago, it's a good read. For quite a while he was looking at the possibility of copping the blame for it because of course with ice being the cause, the evidence had melted by the time the engines were inspected.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

53 minutes ago, Chock said:

The pilot of this aeroplane wrote an interesting book about the incident some years ago, it's a good read. For quite a while he was looking at the possibility of copping the blame for it because of course with ice being the cause, the evidence had melted by the time the engines were inspected.

It reminds me of  someone telling me once about "How to commit a perfect murder", (Please don't ask how I got involved in such a discussion. Tsk Tsk)  Make a dagger (with ice) and then use the ice dagger to stab your enemy, Voila.. No murder weapon! HA HA HA! 🙂

Edited by Manny

Manny

Just now, Manny said:

It reminds me someone telling me once about "How to commit a perfect murder",  Make a dagger (with ice) and then use the ice dagger to stab your enemy, Voila.. No murder weapon! HA HA HA! 🙂

Just got to make sure you also stab the person who sold you the sword/dagger-shaped ice cube tray, assuming there is a catering supplies shop nearby which sells these. Alternatively you could use a thick branch as a club and then that would rot away if you threw it forest, which seems a bit simpler if you prefer a less convoluted solution. Especially one which doesn't require purchasing an elaborate ice cube tray, necessitating you murder its sales person, and have your plan hinge on the notion that a sharpened ice lolly would actually function as an effective sword/dagger and that your intended victim is going to be near your massive fridge big enough to fit a sword made from ice in it at some point. 

I'm kind of thinking there'd be an easier way to go about it. 🤣

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

Just got to make sure you also stab the person who sold you the sword/dagger-shaped ice cube tray, assuming there is a catering supplies shop nearby which sells these. Alternatively you could use a thick branch as a club and then that would rot away if you threw it forest, which seems a bit simpler if you prefer a less convoluted solution. Especially one which doesn't require purchasing an elaborate ice cube tray, necessitating you murder its sales person, and have your plan hinge on the notion that a sharpened ice lolly would actually function as an effective sword/dagger and that your intended victim is going to be near your massive fridge big enough to fit a sword made from ice in it at some point. 

I'm kind of thinking there'd be an easier way to go about it. 🤣

I am an Ice sculptor. That's my weekend  hobby. That and flight simming of course 🙂

Edited by Manny

Manny

On the plus side, when they make the movie about it, there's a ton of Arnie-style quips the killer could say as he or she is dispatching people.

Chill out; I'm gonna put you on ice; Cool it; Freeze; How about a little ice? Stay Frosty; I've got sub-zero tolerance; It's a cold-blooded kill, etc.

They practically write themselves.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Lamb to the Slaughter".

A police chief comes home to his wife & says he's going to divorce her.  She plans to make a leg of lamb dinner for him and ...

Investigating officers come to the crime scene, and watch the murder weapon disappear 😂

Mike A.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Lamb to the Slaughter".

A police chief comes home to his wife & says he's going to divorce her.  She plans to make a leg oflamb dinner for him and ...

Investigating officers come to the crime scene, and watch the murder weapon disappear 😂

Mike A.

I've seen few of Hitchcock movies..but not seen that one . Its Hilarious.  Now I need to figure out how to watch it. 🙂

Manny

59 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm kind of thinking there'd be an easier way to go about it. 

For those of us in cold climates one could just break off an icicle. Many are more than big enough...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chock said:

The pilot of this aeroplane wrote an interesting book about the incident some years ago, it's a good read.

I keep meaning to read this , it apparently details how his personal life and character were dug into using social media and portrayed in a negative way by the British press. 

A good lesson in why pilots should try and maintain a low social media profile !

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

44 minutes ago, jon b said:

I keep meaning to read this , it apparently details how his personal life and character were dug into using social media and portrayed in a negative way by the British press. 

A good lesson in why pilots should try and maintain a low social media profile !

Yup you should give it a look, it's not very long, only just over 300 pages - I guess you could probably read it cover to cover in a day if you are the kind of person who reads a lot and goes at a fair old lick.

Of course the incident and investigation is covered in the book, but much of the book is about the aftermath and how author and Captain of that flight Peter Burkhill, and his wife and co-author Maria, dealt with the media storm over the thing when the crew were still being accused of possibly being responsible, and whilst the media were bothering them constantly.

I've been on both sides of that kind of situation, having worked for the British press as a writer, as well as being on the receiving end of its attentions during a double murder investigation, and one where the killer was known to me but was still at large, with tabloid and broadsheet journalists outside my house, literally waving chequebooks around as the manhunt progressed all over the UK, with people on the lookout for the guy. You've really got to experience that kind of circus to know how bizarre and frenzied it is.

So with that, and with also being a pilot who knows that there's only so much you can do when the rubber bands stop and the pressure starts, I've got a lot of sympathy for the couple and what they went through. However, since I know the other side of the coin too, I can say they didn't deal with it as well as they perhaps could have if they'd have been a bit more media-savvy, but then again it's not surprising since PR wasn't really their area of expertise at the time. 

Back with the incident itself, I'm sure you know that the co-pilot was P1 for that crash landing, thus the book Thirty seconds to impact is written by the P2 in terms of actual cockpit roles during the crash. But CRM's a team effort on every flight deck, and being the pilot monitoring, the author was probably better placed to recount the various instrument readings than his colleague who was busy at the wheel. So his perspective is well worth reading and it was in large part his actions on changing the flap setting on the stricken aeroplane which got them over the fence and onto the airfield, rather than into some houses.

Most of us will be fortunate to never have to crash land an airliner, nor deal with the feelings of guilt or the accusations, nor a trial by the media along with the cruel lies they can write about your personal life too, safe in the knowledge that it would cost you too much to sue them over it. Thus the book on this subject is well worth a look to get a glimpse of what it's like to be in that unfortunate position of having the limelight suddenly illuminate your every facet.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

An interesting life you lead chock.It’s a good job you too keep a low profile and there aren’t any pictures of you floating about the internet in flamboyant head gear for example ,which might end up on the front page 😂😂

Edited by jon b
  • Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

10 minutes ago, jon b said:

An interesting life you lead chock.It’s a good job you too keep a low profile and there aren’t any pictures of you floating about the internet in flamboyant head gear for example ,which might end up on the front page 😂😂

Hey, if a prince can dress up as a n@zi and then complain about racism, then I'm sure I can get away with a daft hat.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Yep, you have a sound argument there alright 👍😂

787 captain.