Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Today's Royal Navy?

On 6/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Tim_Capps said:

These are not "strike carriers." The last time Great Britain projected force in a big way they got a rude shock. I hope they're developing much faster nuclear submarines, too!

I feel that you are relying on either outdated knowledge or ill-formed opinion.

What's great about the QE-class CVFs is that:
a) we have two of them;
b) they are both nearly 3 times larger (tonnage) than our previous light carriers (Invicible class), enabling the carrying of greater numbers of aircraft with increased sortie rates; and,
c) despite the negativity of no nuclear reactor and lack of CATOBAR, they can call at any port, are cheaper to maintain, plus the 5th gen strike aircraft aboard can carry heavier payloads than the next largest European NATO partner's CV fast jets.

carriercomparison.jpg

FLEET-20210519-AP0001-042.jpg

As for the "rude shock" when we last "projected force in a big way", I seem to recall UK forces fighting alongside our NATO allies in 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' and 'Operation Enduring Freedom' in Afghanistan...

In relevant naval news (my emphasis):

The Royal Air Force will continue to grow its Combat Air capacity over the next few years as we fully establish all seven operational Typhoon Squadrons and grow the Lightning II Force, increasing the fleet size beyond the 48 aircraft that we have already ordered. Together they will provide a formidable capability, which will be continually upgraded to meet the threat, exploit multi-domain integration and expand utility. The Royal Air Force will spiral develop Typhoon capability, integrate new weapons such as the UK-developed ‘SPEAR Cap 3’ precision air-launched weapon and invest in the Radar 2 programme to give it a powerful electronically scanned array radar. We will integrate more UK weapons onto Lightning II and invest to ensure that its software and capability are updated alongside the rest of the global F-35 fleet.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974661/CP411_-Defence_Command_Plan.pdf

More info: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-confirms-plans-to-order-more-f-35-jets/

And first steel will be cut on the five new Inspiration class frigates (Type 31) this summer. All are planned to be in service by 2028 and will operate alongside the City class (Type 26) frigates. The addition of both types will consititute a 1:1 replacement of the thirteen Type 23 frigates currently in service.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/may/19/20210519-inspiration-class

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I think the QE class are quite capable and I'm glad to see two of them in RN service.

I have always liked the USN "Sea Control" design STOVL carrier, like Spain used to have in Principe de Asturias.  I know those types of ships will not equal a full CV but pocket carriers (Bogue, Gambier Bay, Independence etc.) have always interested me.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Without question they look like capable platforms and I'll concede your points. I'm still interested in the strategic goals in a changing geopolitical landscape. The U.S. carrier fleet is really sui generis. Kuznetzov is a relic and everybody knows no Asian country will ever be a naval threat. (Seriously, though, there's more to putting airplanes on a ship to carrier ops, and I think it will be a long time before anyone is equal to Western nations in ops and synergy.) I didn't mean to cause any offense re: The Falklands, a tremendously challenging and ultimately successful campaign at a vast distance from home. The comment was inappropriate as made. It showed gallantry and resourcefulness,but at the same time it did expose some weaknesses in the Royal Navy at that time (e.g. aluminum superstructures). And Argentinian pilots were able to exploit an inadequate picket by flying at wave-top level to deliver their Exocet missiles, more effective than anyone had reason to think. The sinking of the General Belgrano by nuclear submarine made it official. I don't remember if that's the last time the Jolly Roger was flown on return (Navy loves traditions); I'm thinking a U.S. ship got into trouble for that later. The British hold the distinction of being the nation last involved in a major naval shooting war, and that's nothing to sneeze at. And I'll never forget the hospitality extended to my by the officers of a British warship during Desert Storm, where I was invited into the wardroom to eat--cucumber sandwiches? An American ship's wardroom is polite, but nothing like that class act. I had never had cucumber sandwiches before or since and admit that I felt like a colonial clod.

I also saw a RN frigate at Manama pier, along with one ship each from Germany, Italy, Japan and Kuwait. The U.S. had the giant tender Samuel Gompers (since SINKEX-ed) and of course the oddly-painted white command ship. It was one of those moments when the threads of history seemed to be gathered into a knot and I wondered at the time what the world would look like on the other side.

5 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

it did expose some weaknesses in the Royal Navy at that time (e.g. aluminum superstructures)

Yep, aluminium was indeed an issue. The point about the Falklands is that it was a one-off conflict. We as a nation don't usually have to travel half was across the globe to defend, or in this case, retake one of our isnads. So anything more than the Naval capability we have is not required. Pretty sure if it happened again though, the two carriers we have, and a pretty decent compliment of F35B's would be quite something for an adversary to face. 

The Falkland's are now well defended of course, we invested heavily in the defences. And I recall four Typhoons are permanently based there. Don't think there are many adversaries that would relish facing a Typhoon. Rather excellent aircraft. Frigates and guided missile destroyers there too. 

So, the War on Drugs counts now? Wow. What's next? Lashing a broom to the mast when 75% of the crew completes sensitivity training?

On 6/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, Tim_Capps said:

I don't remember if that's the last time the Jolly Roger was flown on return (Navy loves traditions)

The USS Jimmy Carter has flown it once or twice. For what, we may never know, unfortunately.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14309/why-the-navys-top-spy-submarine-flew-a-pirate-flag-while-pulling-into-port