Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

They sorry

30 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

it is always about the Money.  Plain and simple

It is a business after all.

True, they might have intended it to be all about the money, but in the end if you behave in a manner which puts people off buying your stuff as they did, then it ends up being all about getting less or even no money, And it seems they realised that, and embraced the notion that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

But it's worth considering that for many, their job is not always about the money; sure it helps and might even be one of the major reasons you do a job, but I've done lots of jobs where it was more about liking the job than what the particular wage was and I'm certainly not alone in that. I would guess that a large portion of flight sim developers probably started out doing freeware stuff because they liked doing that and graduated to making it their living, or at least part of their living, and many of them probably could earn more in another sector with their same skill set.

So it's not always all about the money, and it's not as if there is always a dividing line between 'the flight sim community' and 'the developers'; there are for the most part just people who like aeroplanes and flight sims. That was the real issue I had with this recent fiasco from CS; they did something which actually did put a very definite line between devs and enthusiasts, and there was no way I was going to let that one fly. I'm glad lots of people felt the same about that as well and also spoke up about it. I am proud to be part of a community which won't stand for that kind of cr*p.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

True, they might have intended it to be all about the money, but in the end if you behave in a manner which puts people off buying your stuff as they did, then it ends up being all about getting less or even no money, And it seems they realised that, and embraced the notion that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Chock, you've been around for ages so I know you'll know what I mean when I say this.

What CS did was a very giant reflection of how "the old guard" of flight simming and even the community itself used to operate. The entire "Us Vs Them" attitude. It was BAD for many of years. P3D diluted that mindset a bit, X-Plane getting Orbx and major 3rd party support further diluted it.

MSFS 2020 nearly BURIED what was left of that way of thinking.  Yes, MSFS has its issues but the community it created could never have been imagined just 5 years ago. Let alone well before that. The bickering, the threats, the bullying.. Belittling users because they didn't know how to program a FMC and had honest questions. GA simmers aren't looked down upon anymore. All of it. Nearly non-existent. 

I love it. For once I feel we're FINALLY all on the same page of support and being there for one another.

Edited by styckx
  • Like 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Let's be honest here: the problem with Captain Sim is not necessarily the addons they produce, it's the customer service (or lack thereof).

The products themselves are, on balance, actually quite decent. I've had plenty of run-ins with them but, overall, what they sold was ok. Mind you, not great, but ok. I owned their C130 and their 707 and thought I got my money's worth. 

But the customer service is another matter: not really interested in establishing community relations with their buyers, quick to ban someone from their forums, an overall arrogant attitude, etc. 

They share these attitudes with - let me raise this corpse here - Peter Tishma/Papa Tango/ Ariane Design. In fact, I owned PT's CRJ, the one that was supposedly endorsed by Austrian Airlines. It was an ok addon. I ordered the box set. It came with a picture of a smiling female Austrian Airlines CRJ pilot on the box cover, inside was a booklet, a CD, and a pen. Not bad. It flew ok. I also owned Ariane Designs BBJ 737. Also a very decent, albeit slightly overpriced, addon. 

But the customer service of Ariane Design was a nightmare - and that's putting it mildly. 

Back to Captain Sim: products that are quite nice, delivered with a lousy and cantankerous attitude toward their customers. Up to you to decide whether this is worth your money. 

2 minutes ago, styckx said:

Chock, you've been around for ages so I know you'll know what I mean when I say this.

What CS did was a very giant reflection of how "the old guard" of flight simming and even the community itself used to operate. The entire "Us Vs Them" attitude. It was BAD for many of years. P3D diluted that mindset a bit, X-Plane getting Orbx and major 3rd party support further diluted it.

MSFS 2020 nearly BURIED what was left of that way of thinking.  Yes, MSFS has its issues but the community it created could never have been imagined just 5 years ago. Let alone well before that. The bickering, the threats, the bullying.. Belittling users because they didn't know how to program a FMC and had honest questions. GA simmers aren't looked down upon anymore. All of it. Nearly non-existent. 

I love it. For once I feel we're FINALLY all on the same page of support and being there for one another.

QFT

I am in the 50+ crowd and have been flight simming since microprose days on DOS. I have been coming to AVSIM for information for at least a decade but as you can see I have only recently joined and even more recently started to post. I am never a prolific poster b/c there is so much word not allowed that happens on the interwebs. The community that has risen up around MSFS is by and large pretty awesome. 

PS - Chock, you have a pretty great guitar collection...I am Bass guy first and foremost but I do love my 91' American California Fat Strat

• Like 2

edit - The Strat is a '99 my Ric 4001 is a 91' 🙂

1 hour ago, Target71 said:

PS - Chock, you have a pretty great guitar collection...I am Bass guy first and foremost but I do love my 91' American California Fat Strat

Could never really get into Strats. I've had a few of them over the years, but I ended up giving them all away to people who were learning. This is about half of my collection:

d0tK91v.jpg

From the front that's a 91 Epiphone Les Paul Studio, 87 Tele Thinline made from various bits, standard 87 Tele, Aria MBA, Hofner Violin bass, GFM electro-acoustic, Silvertone acoustic which I added a pickup to, an Epiphone AJ jumbo acoustic also with a pick up and a reverb unit and at the back is a Redwood 12 string.

Up in the loft there's a Rickenbacker 4003, Harmony Sovereign, Fender MA1, Dobro Resonator, an Artisan Archtop, a G Banjo, a Top Twenty with a Bigsby, a Harley Benton Tele with a Gibson PAF at the bridge, a Squier Mustang modified with a Jazzmaster vibrato and Soapbox P90s, plus a mandolin. I might get another one of those racks lol.

As you can probably guess, I like Telecasters and I made that green Thinline up from bits to replace a 69 Thinline which got nicked off me years ago (still annoyed about that), and so just in case anyone nicks this one off me and tries to sell it, I'd like to see the look on their face if they try to pass it off as a genuine Fender in a guitar shop when someone who knows about Telecasters sees what I put on the headstock:

mD8xMVl.jpg

Fun Telecaster facts:

Everyone knows Jimi Hendrix played an upside down Stratocaster, but what most people don't know, is that the solos on Hey Joe and Purple Haze were both played on a Telecaster which Jimi borrowed off bandmate Noel Redding. Conversely, everyone thinks the famous twangy James Bond theme was played on a Telecaster because of the sound, but it's actually a Strat.

When Cliff Richard’s career took off, he wanted the leader of his backing band - Hank Marvin of the Shadows - then struggling with a cheaply made Japanese Antoria, to have the best available electric guitar. He asked Marvin which guitar he would like as a gift and Marvin knew that his personal favorite guitarist, James Burton, who played with pop idol Ricky Nelson, used a Fender, but he mistakenly assumed it would be a Stratocaster because that was at the time the most expensive electric guitar in Fender's range, so Cliff Richard bought him one. He later learned that Burton played a Telecaster, but by that time he had adopted the vibrato of the Strat to shape the sound of the Shadows!

Most people know that Jimmy Page usually played either a Les Paul or a double necked Gibson at gigs, but the vast majority of Led Zeppelin guitar solos were played on a Telecaster, and much of the time the rhythm parts were played on a cheap Danelectro. Similarly, Stairway to Heaven was played on a cheap Harmony Sovereign and the solo was played on a Telecaster, but because of its association with the famous tune, Harmony Sovereigns go for a lot of money nowadays. I paid way too much money for mine just because I'm sad and wanted one!

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Captain Sim has a long and spotted history in this community...their business and marketing strategy has been all over the map, often with the same kind of results as a guy with a well-worn 3 Wood in a tile bathroom.

They're flaky, and that's well-known.  You never know what you're gonna get when you do business with them.

But this time it's different.

They copied the freely-given work of others--repainters and modders--off of other sites without asking and put it up on their own site, while threatening legal action against the sites the painters and modders *did* publish the works on.  How is that anything short of theft?  Whether it meets the legal definition of a crime in any particular jurisdiction is beside the point--it's expropriating the work of others for your own gain.  Whatever hangover-fueled thought process that might make someone think this is all right is *not* acceptable.  Not by a long shot.  Issuing a mea culpa after it becomes clear that you've dropped your drawers in front of an international audience doesn't answer the question of how you could have thought the work of others was ever yours for the taking.

So here's the question: If you catch someone trying to go out the door with your stuff in their pockets, would you let them back in your house after they say "I'm sorry?"

I would not.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Sweet, is that the Aslan signature series I have been hearing about? I don't have access to pictures right now but besides my Ric I have a 5 string American Fender Jazz that plays like butter, a 70's era Yamaha 12 string acoustic, an Ovation Maverick II (79' I think), a Mando Bass (custom stand up jobbie for Bluegrass stuff) and a bunch of knock offs and pawn shop babies. Anyway, we have expensive hobbies and I will stop keeping this (hopefully) dying thread alive...

1 hour ago, Target71 said:

QFT

I am in the 50+ crowd and have been flight simming since microprose days on DOS. I have been coming to AVSIM for information for at least a decade but as you can see I have only recently joined and even more recently started to post...

Welcome mate! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

13 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Captain Sim has a long and spotted history in this community...their business and marketing strategy has been all over the map, often with the same kind of results as a guy with a well-worn 3 Wood in a tile bathroom.

They're flaky, and that's well-known.  You never know what you're gonna get when you do business with them.

But this time it's different.

They copied the freely-given work of others--repainters and modders--off of other sites without asking and put it up on their own site, while threatening legal action against the sites the painters and modders *did* publish the works on.  How is that anything short of theft?  Whether it meets the legal definition of a crime in any particular jurisdiction is beside the point--it's expropriating the work of others for your own gain.  Whatever hangover-fueled thought process that might make someone think this is all right is *not* acceptable.  Not by a long shot.  Issuing a mea culpa after it becomes clear that you've dropped your drawers in front of an international audience doesn't answer the question of how you could have thought the work of others was ever yours for the taking.

So here's the question: If you catch someone trying to go out the door with your stuff in their pockets, would you let them back in your house after they say "I'm sorry?"

I would not.

According to the statement at flightsim.to CS are still going to be lifting the repaints and putting them on their own system/site, just removed the takedown.

So they're sorry, but they're not giving you your stuff back.

G

• Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Yeah, they STILL will take people's work without permission AND not credit them. This is NOT much better, simply the takedown of fs.to is gone. Everything else stays according to them. 

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Everyone knows Jimi Hendrix played an upside down Stratocaster, but what most people don't know, is that the solos on Hey Joe and Purple Haze were both played on a Telecaster which Jimi borrowed off bandmate Noel Redding. Conversely, everyone thinks the famous twangy James Bond theme was played on a Telecaster because of the sound, but it's actually a Strat.

When Cliff Richard’s career took off, he wanted the leader of his backing band - Hank Marvin of the Shadows - then struggling with a cheaply made Japanese Antoria, to have the best available electric guitar. He asked Marvin which guitar he would like as a gift and Marvin knew that his personal favorite guitarist, James Burton, who played with pop idol Ricky Nelson, used a Fender, but he mistakenly assumed it would be a Stratocaster because that was at the time the most expensive electric guitar in Fender's range, so Cliff Richard bought him one. He later learned that Burton played a Telecaster, but by that time he had adopted the vibrato of the Strat to shape the sound of the Shadows!

Most people know that Jimmy Page usually played either a Les Paul or a double necked Gibson at gigs, but the vast majority of Led Zeppelin guitar solos were played on a Telecaster, and much of the time the rhythm parts were played on a cheap Danelectro. Similarly, Stairway to Heaven was played on a cheap Harmony Sovereign and the solo was played on a Telecaster, but because of its association with the famous tune, Harmony Sovereigns go for a lot of money nowadays. I paid way too much money for mine just because I'm sad and wanted one!

this is a well known fact about the telecaster. Everyone knows a telecaster is a superior instrument anyway 😛

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

the Tele is the Hammer of the Honky Tonk gods...if I was primarily a guitar player I would mos def have one, but I actually have rhythm and can count to four (and even eight sometimes)  😛

Edited by Target71

5 hours ago, kaosfere said:

But, as Chock said, life is too short for grudges.  Personally, they've lost me as a customer until they manage to go a while without doing anything else asinine.  But I'm not going to sweat it, and unless there's a repeat performance they're not going on the eternal blacklist that one or two other developers have put themselves on with repeat offense.

I am not, nor have ever been a customer of CS.  From that point of view I am an outsider looking in.  This is not because they are on a blacklist. I am simply, and have been for a long time, very wary of their alleged antics over the long term. In much the same way, it took me a very long time before I bought a Carenado product, and I guess that involved a compromise of MY expectations.  

My concern (for myself and others) is how do we recognize a repeat performance BEFORE a lot of people get burnt in the future.  It is hard to recognize redemption before demonstrable facts prove that a change of behaviour has actually occurred. As you have pointed out some or most of the following is lacking and I quote,

1. Acknowledgement.  ("I realize that I have caused you pain.")
  2. Regret. ("I feel terrible that I have caused you this pain.")
  3. Restitution ("How can I make it up to you?")

If there is one thing I have learnt in my life, it is that "trust lost is very hard to get back" I feel that this is the huge hurdle that Captain Sim now faces and it is hard to dispute that it is a situation of their own making, and, compounded by the liveries debacle. 

I do hope they bounce back but that is hard to see at this point of time. They have done themselves a lot of damage.

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

And they are still being stubborn morons about this. Flightsim.to should have never  reenabled hosting repaints for their 777.

From the Flightsim.To press release. CS is still claiming they can outright steal others work and rehost it on their own distribution channel. If you need any more proof how un-sorry he really is. It's right here

uBLAwWD.png

From CS himself.. Yep. They will steal your repaints and not give you credit. 

PbLMDbQ.png

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors