Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

Concorde successor ?

Would be a fascinating thing - at last for me as a Concorde Lover 😘

https://boomsupersonic.com/overture

and a page in German Language who says there be first orders from United Airlines - first flights are planned for 2026..

https://t3n.de/news/united-airlines-ueberschalljets-concorde-1382894/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-de-DE

boomoverture3pj1j.jpg

cheers 😉

• Like 4

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

this is bound to be a failure, not allowed to fly supersonic over land, waste of energy, etc.

6 minutes ago, wim123 said:

this is bound to be a failure, not allowed to fly supersonic over land, waste of energy, etc.

Read up about it a bit more and you'll see they have addressed those concerns.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

15 minutes ago, wim123 said:

They shure not can offer something that coast millions of bucks and not to be on the right side of the rules; as Alan said  "they have addressed those concerns"

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Chock said:

Read up about it a bit more and you'll see they have addressed those concerns.

That appears so but at 88 to 150 seats available it is going to take a bucket load of dollars to fly in it. However, I think Concorde was in much the same boat.  I believe also, that if it is released in MSFS some time tomorrow morning, I could be a buyer LOL

Looks magnificent.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

26 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I believe also, that if it is released in MSFS some time tomorrow morning, I could be a buyer LOL

Tony

Shure me too ! 🙃

Still awaiting a good "old" Concorde for MSFS..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

spacer.png

They say they are going to use sustainable fuel. Im not sure what that even means. I dont think it's solar driven? 😄

Also, I read the article, read their homepage info, and subbed to their newsletter. Nowhere did I see how they plan around the noise pollution dilemma. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

5 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

They say they are going to use sustainable fuel. Im not sure what that even means. I dont think it's solar driven? 😄

Also, I read the article, read their homepage info, and subbed to their newsletter. Nowhere did I see how they plan around the noise pollution dilemma. 

What they have said on that score, is that aerodynamically it is more sophisticated in how it triggers and dissipates the shockwaves that are the cause of sonic booms. Of course they can't change the laws of physics, but this in combination with the fact that it isn't as big as Concorde allegedly means it is less prone to massive sonic booms, however, the name is a bit of a giveaway as to the fact that it almost certainly does kick off a few.

Concorde got around that by accelerating to Mach 1 when out over water and decelerating when over water too, and I assume this may also have something to do with what Boom is going to do, possibly with more efficient engines which lend themselves more easily to those kind of profiles although it seems to me that on a planet which is two thirds covered with water, there will be plenty of routes it can take where it won't be an issue anyway. We have to bear in mind that a lot of the complaints about Concorde in this regard were more about other airliner manufacturers lobbying their representatives to try and put the block on a rival airliner than they were about tree huggers although even these were quite frequently motivated by their support for 'Murica, where their default position was to object to this Frog and Limey upstart plane.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes, it does make sense going supersonic over water on several routes, but for example going from UK to Asia would mean flying over continental landmasses and that would prevent going supersonic. 

The heavy tubeliners already go pretty fast (like .84 of m1) so the overture wouldn't be able to compete for speed in that regard. It might get there a little bit faster, but not by much. So then their only option is to compete in fuel efficiency and comfort (I wouldn't think they will be able to compete for price per ticket). The delta wing is, as you know, very efficient at high speeds and higher altitudes, but at slower speeds it becomes inefficient. For the route from EGLL to KJFK it would normally use about 40% of it's fuel just getting to its cruise climb. I wonder what technological magic they will put on her to make her overcome that?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

4 hours ago, pmplayer said:

Would be a fascinating thing - at last for me as a Concorde Lover 😘

https://boomsupersonic.com/overture

and a page in German Language who says there be first orders from United Airlines - first flights are planned for 2026..

https://t3n.de/news/united-airlines-ueberschalljets-concorde-1382894/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-de-DE

boomoverture3pj1j.jpg

cheers 😉

Will never happen. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 ,  Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Will never happen. 

Maybe not but we will see, and why they can ordered if it will never happend - not to shure for that "never happen" never say never, we never know.. 🤔

cheers 😉

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Jet fuel is basically diesel fuel. We already have biodiesel which is derived from farm crops. Theoretically it's sustainable. 

I say theoretically because currently it's not - producing it requires energy and until all of that energy is itself sustainable, then biodiesel isn't.

But if every piece of equipment used to grow and harvest it is biodiesel or better yet electric, and you use modern farming practices that don't wreck the land or require gobs of pesticides, and the distillery is run on sustainable electricity (wind/solar/etc), then you could end up with a sustainable hydrocarbon-based fuel. Especially since unlike ethanol, you can transport biodiesel in pipelines instead of having to ship it via truck or train.

As an Rolls Royce employee, I'm normally involved in R&D work (at least in some capacity) so hopefully I'll be involved in this engine project. Things like this are rather exciting to have a minor role in, one of the plus factors of working for a company like RR when your into Aerospace/flight Simulation like we all are.

On the video below I help manufacture about half of the engine components on show, it's exciting to see them on show in this video.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Yes, it does make sense going supersonic over water on several routes, but for example going from UK to Asia would mean flying over continental landmasses and that would prevent going supersonic. 

The heavy tubeliners already go pretty fast (like .84 of m1) so the overture wouldn't be able to compete for speed in that regard. It might get there a little bit faster, but not by much. So then their only option is to compete in fuel efficiency and comfort (I wouldn't think they will be able to compete for price per ticket). The delta wing is, as you know, very efficient at high speeds and higher altitudes, but at slower speeds it becomes inefficient. For the route from EGLL to KJFK it would normally use about 40% of it's fuel just getting to its cruise climb. I wonder what technological magic they will put on her to make her overcome that?

The fat tubes do between 850-960 km/h in the cruise (still air speed). This thing will clip along at 1,800km/h.

Tokyo-Seattle for example.

• Fat tube = 8hr 30min
  • Overture = 4hr 30min

More examples on their site: https://boomsupersonic.com

Edited by ThrottleUp