Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

Update day

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Does anyone know if there is anything other than the Nordic update in this update.  I do not fly anywhere but Australia so I will get nothing in this update.  I am sure that it will be a mandatory one and we will all have to undergo the trauma, I assume, but I have been led to believe that this was to be downloaded specifically from the marketplace. 

I guess what I am saying is that if it is included in a mandatory update, we will then have to delete it from the community or official folder. Is this correct?

Tony

It probably works as with all world updates, you can skip installing airports and landmarks.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 hours ago, virtuali said:

That's simply not true, and shows a complete lack of understanding of how the Virtual File System in MSFS works.ANY add-on, regardless if it's physically placed in the Community folder or "just" linked, CAN surely affect any program operations, sometimes at its deepest level, and this because of the way the file system is Virtualized in MSFS and yes, it is an intended effect to allow easy modability without actually overwriting anything, but the net effect IS exactly like an overwrite, although it's more easily reversed ( just remove the package in case of problems ).

I have followed this issue closely, in this and other forums, and have yet to see any actual evidence that an add-on placed in Community has adversely affected the working of MSFS in any way. Can you cite even one documented case where this has happened? The experience of myself and many other simmers has been that removing files from Community makes no difference, and authoritative sources who are very familiar with ASOBO's programming have affirmed this in numerous posts here and elsewhere. As another poster said above, urban myths are hard to dislodge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I have followed this issue closely, in this and other forums, and have yet to see any actual evidence that an add-on placed in Community has adversely affected the working of MSFS in any way. Can you cite even one documented case where this has happened? The experience of myself and many other simmers has been that removing files from Community makes no difference, and authoritative sources who are very familiar with ASOBO's programming have affirmed this in numerous posts here and elsewhere. As another poster said above, urban myths are hard to dislodge.

That probably means we've just gotten lucky.  I haven't had any issues either, but that's not due to the actual facts.  As of right now, it's just meant that devs have issued fixes or updates and the core sim hasn't been affected...yet.

Usually I just take out the WT and FBW planes and leave the scenery in.  After that; once WT and FBW issue statements I just put those mods back in.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 3

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

I have definitely had addon airports CTD the sim when I try and go there after an update and have been forced to uninstall the addon (or avoid flying there) until the addon gets patched by the dev.

The most recent issue being with SBGV Governador Valdares, I assume the issue was all the hang gliders (see video below) and the animated freight train. Fortunately the dev was really on the ball and produced a patch within a day or so of the update.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

It hasn’t happened to me yet but an add-on prevented the sim from loading for a Twitch streamer named BlackBox.  BlackBox had some 200+ viewers watching him too and MSFS kept getting stuck on the loading screen.

The sim either loads the add-ons or it minimally checks the files of add-ons and if there is an add-on that is out of date and not compatible with the latest patch, it can block MSFS from loading, like it did to BlackBox.

This is why Asobo recommends you move everything out of your Community folder for each major patch.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

I have followed this issue closely, in this and other forums, and have yet to see any actual evidence that an add-on placed in Community has adversely affected the working of MSFS in any way.

All of this discussion is such a moot point.  Not singling out your view but instead the entire discussion.  With the Addons Linker it takes seconds to step back to default with no mods or very few (I have the payware Washington DC monuments mod installed) in place.  Let the sim update.  Close the sim.  Start it again. Then close it and use the Addons Linker to tee up what mods you need for your next flight.  A few minutes of intelligent process wins hands down over an hour or more of preventable frustration.  Just saying.

Simple.  Priceless!  First step is to validate that the update is working.  Then beyond that to find out what mods might need to be updated by their developers.  Issues with mod compatibility have hung me twice. And unfortunately for me I chose a wrong path each time, costing me valuable time.

Minutes win over hours!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, abrams_tank said:

It hasn’t happened to me yet but an add-on prevented the sim from loading for a Twitch streamer named BlackBox.  BlackBox had some 200+ viewers watching him too and MSFS kept getting stuck on the loading screen.

The sim either loads the add-ons or it minimally checks the files of add-ons and if there is an add-on that is out of date and not compatible with the latest patch, it can block MSFS from loading, like it did to BlackBox.

This is why Asobo recommends you move everything out of your Community folder for each major patch.

You know, now that I think about it, I did also, but it was my fault.  I found out when loading in to any of the FT airports the sim crashed or got stuck on the loading (can't remember which).  Later I found out the dev had already updated the airports I just hadn't checked for updates in a while.  

Please devs, get on Contrail...lol.  To many sources to check all the time.

• Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

My FDST CYVR is broken since the last update. It won't load anymore

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

My FDST CYVR is broken since the last update. It won't load anymore

Interesting--I'm about 40nm's out from landing there right now...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

The closer the poles on you are flying, the worse the tree lod distance is, it is about 5nm in the middle of Sweden where I live, it was 10nm before when the tree lod fix was working.

I havent measured it before but recently checked it in the Netherlands and it was 8 KM (5 miles)

Your 1500 Km north and its's exactly the same.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

6 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

So... is tomorrow or the 27th update day?

Tomorrow according to last week’s weekly update 

7 hours ago, RobJC said:

So are we getting an update tomorrow or not? 

See above 

7 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Does anyone know if there is anything other than the Nordic update in this update.  I do not fly anywhere but Australia so I will get nothing in this update.  I am sure that it will be a mandatory one and we will all have to undergo the trauma, I assume, but I have been led to believe that this was to be downloaded specifically from the marketplace. 

I guess what I am saying is that if it is included in a mandatory update, we will then have to delete it from the community or official folder. Is this correct?

Tony

The airports and landmarks are an optional download from the marketplace, but there will also be a mandatory patch for the base sim with bug fixes and such.

Edited by Tuskin38

15 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Tomorrow according to last week’s weekly update 

See above 

The airports and landmarks are an optional download from the marketplace, but there will also be a mandatory patch for the base sim with bug fixes and such.

That is what I thought.  I wonder what new issues will be fixed and or introduced this time.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Anyone recall what time the World Updates drop in the UK? Is it around 5pm?

Edited by riverreveal

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Here's some. I spent several days trying to figure out why I was getting CTDs on short final when flying an RNAV approach into CYVR. I thought I found the culprit, but then the same issue occurred at CYLW and CYVK. Long story short, after many days of testing to narrow down which addon(s) were causing the issue, it turned out to be a single freeware airport - L35 Big Bear California. The issue was repeatable and completely cleared up when removing this freeware. This was surprising since the freeware airport is over 1000 NM from the airports where it was triggering the CTD. I also tested it in several different aircraft with the same outcome. This was not the first time a freeware airport has caused CTDs for me, but the previous time it only caused CTDs when flying in the immediate area.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, scotchegg said:

@Bijan has demonstrated that the LOD diminishes the further away from the equator you get. This is certainly my experience with, for example, the UK update where I was going from south to north and had to give up by the time I got to Carlisle because the shrinking LOD looked awful.

God knows what it’s going to look like in the Nordics if they haven’t done anything with it.

Hmm I see. Interesting find. Haven't heard of this phenomenon before. I have of course heard of the reduced tree lod radius, but not that it is dynamic in regards to the latitude.

However, I see some people say that the tree lod addon fix isnt working. For me it has been working great since its release and is still working fine to this day. I can see trees pretty much to the horizon no matter where I fly. And I fly in the nordics a lot. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78