Sign in to follow this  
WestAir

Translate / pan in using spot view?

I know I can probably use the drone view to get any angle / view I want of the airplane, but is there a way to get my eye-point closer to the aircraft in spot? Zoom isn't what I want, I want to translate / pan the view nearer to the aircraft. In FSX I think it was [CTRL] [+] or something.

I tried to search the boards but nothing came up. Thanks!

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

So, one year later, does anyone know about a mod or work-around (cfg edit?) that will let me change the camera distance from the aircraft in external view?

I find the default external views are too far from the aircraft, but zooming doesn't actually change the camera distance.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

mouse wheel is what works for me.  I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for though.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

There is a long topic here: 

with no answers and also several contributors who do not understand the concept of distance without zoom.
Apparently, the ability to make changes to the camera.cfg files was announced but without any suggestions as
to what those changes might be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reader said:

with no answers and also several contributors who do not understand the concept of distance without zoom.
Apparently, the ability to make changes to the camera.cfg files was announced but without any suggestions as

Clarity-of-question always helps.

Rhett

1 hour ago, Mace said:

Sorry. I didn't know how else to describe what I was looking for other than "distance to the aircraft." I tried other words like translation or panning but I don't think those really helped either.

3 hours ago, Reader said:

Thanks. Seems like you can use the .CFG to tweak the default camera distance. I'll just have to play with the values until it's where I want it to be for the entire duration of the flight. Sucks I can't change it on the fly, like I can in every other simulator on the planet, including train sims and even farming simulator. But oh well.

Edited by WestAir

1 hour ago, Mace said:

The title of the other topic sums it up concisely

Distance between external camera and plane

which is not the same as the fixed distance but zoomed in or out, the only thing available to the current spot view.

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

Sorry. I didn't know how else to describe what I was looking for other than "distance to the aircraft." I tried other words like translation or panning but I don't think those really helped either.

No, I'm sorry.  I misunderstood what you meant, and also what Reader was saying.  He was referring to that SU9 thread.

Rhett