Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mazex

Can we see some screens of SU5 degradation?

1.17.3.0 vs 1.18.13.0 above CYLW

Same date, time, weather, and graphics settings. Fresh vanilla install (with Zinertek textures). The color banding in the sky is caused by GIMP's .gif compression. In case you can't tell, SU5 is the one without the weather panel.

kecqxBa.gif

1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Yes, but I think you missed how silly it was getting. We would post just a mention of an issue, not even a complaint, and people started accusing us of being paid by Xplane directly. Next thing you know people are going to start asking for my tax returns. They also said I had bad marketing, but I am not doing marketing, I don't even sell any products, everything I've ever made I gave away for FREE mind you.

So as much as I understand the point, it works BOTH ways.

Oh I realise that, but realise too that when I say revenue, I mean more than mere money, I also mean gratification and such. When people say they make stuff for nothing, that's not really true. Sometimes it is a progression toward a desire to eventually make money, but even when it isn't with that intent, it is still for the purpose of gaining pleasure from doing something one enjoys. On the face of it I make my youtube video reviews 'for nothing', but in fact I actually gain a good deal of enjoyment and gratification from helping people out.

Same with my current job on the ramp at EGCC. I could make more money doing something different and have done other jobs where I made literally triple what I get for doing that job, but work is about satisfaction as well as cash, I like doing that job and have good fun doing it in spite of it being a very serious job where safety is massively important and such. Moreover, it is with a view to doing other stuff in the future which will be fed from that experience, so the revenue I gain from it will eventually be more than merely what appears on my payslip, which is just as well since that isn't massive lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 minutes ago, Izgud said:

1.17.3.0 vs 1.18.13.0 above CYLW

Same date, time, weather, and graphics settings. Fresh vanilla install (with Zinertek textures). The color banding in the sky is caused by GIMP's .gif compression. In case you can't tell, SU5 is the one without the weather panel.

I cannot really tell at that much from that altitude because I would need a very high-res comparison.

I have seen various issues, nothing deal-breaking outside of dev mode editing though (which for now is problematic). I even expressed caution that when I make statements that i am seeing issues, it is to the best of my ability in deciphering said issues and I cannot be 100% that I have everything optimized perfectly, since settings are not always retained perfectly.

I noted that i thought they made changes to the renderer because if you are making LOD changes, that's pretty much the area you are probably editing, but then some others started saying no changes have been made. TBH, I feel like politics has been injected into it at this point, and it's hard to know what is true or not true.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

56 minutes ago, joec63 said:

Microcenter @ Parkville has a MSI RTX3090 Triple Fan in stock but very expensive. 

Thanks Joe.  From what I am reading here the past couple of days I believe I will stay under the 3090 if for no other reason than the power requirements.  Let me know if you hear of any of the MC stores gaining supply of 3070 or 3080.  I have three stores within 90 minutes, the most distant in the philly area.  I do need to take this system in to Parkville for a health check.  It's where I had it built.  The USB C has never worked like it should, the front panel I/O's do not all work, and the activity light has never worked.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

20 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Thanks Joe.  From what I am reading here the past couple of days I believe I will stay under the 3090 if for no other reason than the power requirements.  Let me know if you hear of any of the MC stores gaining supply of 3070 or 3080.  I have three stores within 90 minutes, the most distant in the philly area.  I do need to take this system in to Parkville for a health check.  It's where I had it built.  The USB C has never worked like it should, the front panel I/O's do not all work, and the activity light has never worked.

Micro center has been consistently receiving stock on Friday's the last several weeks so keep checking with them. They only sell in the store though. 

Semper Fi 

17 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

OK, I have checked mine several times and they seem to stay the same. 

They stay the same in the UI, but they revert in the config file. You need to reset them each time you launch. It's a known issue

here's some screens I took over Glasgow, ultra preset, no config edits

https://imgur.com/a/1eGE83Z

22 hours ago, steve310002 said:

Now let's stop pretending this is fake news or some sort of crazy conspiracy theory from 'drama queens' as you put it. That's kind of old at this stage with the many threads and evidence already available on the subject.

Does it look better than FSX or P3D? It sure does to me. And lots of folks are hanging on to P3D.

It’s relative and not worth letting it wreck your experience. But that’s just my view.

3 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

Does it look better than FSX or P3D? It sure does to me. And lots of folks are hanging on to P3D.

It’s relative and not worth letting it wreck your experience. But that’s just my view.

You are right, but some of us just needed a few days to groan about it. Still not happy I had to edit config files in 2021.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

the fact I can run the sim on Ultra above 30fps now is great. Though I'll still keep it on high unless I'm doing sight seeing

On 8/2/2021 at 8:39 PM, steve310002 said:

Do we really need another thread questioning this? There are plenty of comparison photos already on this forum and the official MSFS forum comparing SU4 and SU5. 

Clearly the degredation is real and more pronounced for some users than others. It's not a conspiracy at this stage as some on here tried very hard to frame it as.

Most likely if you fly in 4K and on a expensive rig you'll notice the degredation more than if you sim in HD or 2K on a basic to mid level rig. Furthermore, it seems some HDR monitors TVs make the colours looks fine whereas those without HDR look far more cartoony and washed out. 

Now let's stop pretending this is fake news or some sort of crazy conspiracy theory from 'drama queens' as you put it. That's kind of old at this stage with the many threads and evidence already available on the subject.

Yes we need to, because not everyone is having the exact same issue. Don't believe me? Here's the AVSIM poll about the update:

A.png

It is clear that all of us are having vastly different experiences. Also again based on the poll, around 70% of users, in other words, majority of users are not reporting any visual degradation. I'm one of them, in fact I reported this shortly after the update was released: 

While I fully understand that there are many people who are experiencing severe graphical degredation, there is another side to the story as well. This is why it is not a good idea to dismiss people who have a good experience with Sim Update 5 as "shills" like some people here do.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.