Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

For those interested in little known history...

This is an interesting piece I came across while researching the biography of Marine Corps General Smedly Butler.  He came up though the ranks and is still the most decorated Marine in history.  He fought in the Banana Republics, the Philippines, China and World War 1.

I just finished re-reading his short book, 'War is a Racket' where he chastises the United States using military forces to help the United Fruit Company gain a monopoly in the Caribbean and Central America.  

I came across this interesting piece about his blowing the whistle to congress about an attempted coup of the US Government in 1933.  Captains of industry at the time wanted Butler to lead an army of veterans to take over the government and turn it into a fascist government with Roosevelt as a powerless figurehead.  But the general instead blew the whistle on them in congress.  This stuff is not taught in Freshman History 101.  

https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Navigation/Community/Arcadia-and-THP-Blog/September-2018/Smedley-Butler-and-the-1930s-Plot-to-Overthrow-the

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Noel - 

I always thought that the most decorated Marine ever was General "Chesty" Puller. But maybe I've had it wrong all these years. 1958 was a long time ago. Semper Fi.....

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

39 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Noel - 

I always thought that the most decorated Marine ever was General "Chesty" Puller. But maybe I've had it wrong all these years. 1958 was a long time ago. Semper Fi.....

Yup, I thought that was the case too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It depends on how you look at it.  At the time of his death Smedley Butler had the most medals ever awarded to a Marine.  It's correct that numerically Chesty Puller had more medals than Butler at the time of his death.  But Chesty never was awarded the Medal of Honor and Butler was awarded two of them.  So while Butler trailed Chesty numerically he was and still is the most highly decorated.

Which brings to mind a Marine story.

When I was very young Marine stationed at Camp Fuji Japan we had a Gunnery Sergeant in our unit who had been awarded the Medal of Honor on Guadalcanal.

We had a change of command ceremony and when the current commander and the new commander inspected the troops they came upon the gunny.  The new commander, a major, said, "Don't you salute an officer when he stands in front of you gunny?"  To which the gunny replied, "Don't you recognize the Medal of Honor major?"  To which the major snapped the gunny a sharp salute and said, "You got me gunny."

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Got 'em indeed 🙂. I'm not sure I can distinguish between "most decorated" and "most highly decorated". Both of these General officers are an inspiration to all of us regardless of their medal count. I'll just  leave it by saying...goodnight Chesty, wherever you are.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I was just reading Chesty's citations and we have something in common.  We were both awarded medals by the Army even though we weren't in the Army.

I got an Army Commendation Medal for my weather support to the 6th US Army HQ in San Francisco during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.  A couple Air National Guard weather officers and I rotated the morning weather briefings to the staff a the emergency operations center which included an admiral, a couple of generals, and the mayor of San Francisco and his entourage.  The two Air National Guard officers got ARCOMs too.

The 6th Army weather support officer was a good friend and he arranged for me to present weather briefings even though I was an NCO instead of an officer.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

3 minutes ago, birdguy said:

The 6th Army weather support officer was a good friend and he arranged for me to present weather briefings even though I was an NCO instead of an officer.

I went though weather school at Chanute AFB, Rantoul, Illinois, from September 1969 to late 1970 and at that time all weather support for the US Army came from the USAF Air Weather Service. I was stationed at Forney AAF at Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri. from late 1970 until April 1974. USAF Military Airlift Command, 5th Weather Wing, Detachment OLA 16A.

What was you your unit nearly 20 years later?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

58 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I got an Army Commendation Medal for my weather support to the 6th US Army HQ in San Francisco during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. 

Another time we've crossed paths, except this time it was at the same time. In 1989 I was across the street from you at Bldg. 36, the MP Station, as a civilian working on the MP Desk.

Very interesting, not very surprising. Footnote: the term "Banana Republic" was invented by short-story writer O. Henry.

2 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

the term "Banana Republic" was invented by short-story writer O. Henry.

Umm I thought it was made popular by Song writer Steve Goodman and performed by Jimmy Buffet! 😉

1 hour ago, Tim_Capps said:

Very interesting, not very surprising. Footnote: the term "Banana Republic" was invented by short-story writer O. Henry.

Indeed, "Banana Republic" is attributed to William Sydney Porter (O. Henry).

On 10/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, fppilot said:

What was you your unit nearly 20 years later?

120th Weather Flight in the Colorado Air National Guard.  We supported both the 163rd Armored Cavalry Regiment in the Montana Army Guard and the 6th US Army Headquarters at the Presidio of San Francisco.  

I went to Observers and Forecasters school back to back at Chanute.  Went back to Chanute for Station Chief school and Tropical Weather School.

I had 16 years of active duty when I joined the Colorado Air Guard to finish my time for retirement.  I'd still be there except for the mandatory retirement age of 60.

Noel

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:40 PM, Mike A said:

Another time we've crossed paths, except this time it was at the same time. In 1989 I was across the street from you at Bldg. 36, the MP Station, as a civilian working on the MP Desk.

Was that a Burger King or Hardees on base that had a terrific view of the bay and the bridge?  Your building musta have been pretty close to it.

Noel

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

I went to Observers and Forecasters school back to back at Chanute.  Went back to Chanute for Station Chief school and Tropical Weather School.

I was there in 1970 and 1971 for Observers and Forecasters schools.  Stopped in there in late 2010 on a road trip.  The base was closed in the early 1990's and is now a GA airport run by the county.  Grissom Hall contains a museum that is a tribute to the base. It was however limited to the history of the aircraft mechanics and avionics schools.   I was stunned to find no references in the museum to the weather schools.  I recall the weather equipment repair school was also there.   

image.png.71065b9316e0dbab2e16a9cf95300caa.pngimage.png.c815f0a8106a4bb767061c6474c718e3.png

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere