Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray56

Logitech throttle quadrant connection

Hi all

Since I replaced my faulty Logitech flight yoke I now have a spare throttle quadrant.

The throttle quadrant is connected to the yoke with 5 pin connector.

Does anyone know if there is a USB lead with that type of connector on the other end (and also the name of it) so that I could possibly use it in my set up. 

Has anyone done that?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ray56 said:

Hi all

Since I replaced my faulty Logitech flight yoke I now have a spare throttle quadrant.

The throttle quadrant is connected to the yoke with 5 pin connector.

Does anyone know if there is a USB lead with that type of connector on the other end (and also the name of it) so that I could possibly use it in my set up. 

Has anyone done that?

Thanks

The Saitek TQ that plugs into the Saitek Yoke does not have its own USB logic (it uses the USB logic in the Saitek Yoke), so in order to connect this TQ directly to the computer you need to provide the necessary USB interface. See the 14th post here https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/504933-disaster-strikes-with-saitek-throttle-connector/  for the start of a discussion on how to use an Arduino to provide the necessary USB interface. It is an interesting but non-trivial project.

As a possible alternative, if the USB logic in the Saitek yoke is still good (i.e., the TQ works if you hook up the yoke and TQ in the normal manner), you could continue to plug the TQ into the yoke, connect the yoke to the computer as usual, and just not make use of any of the yoke's flight functions or buttons (and stick the yoke under the desk, etc). You could also probably remove the logic board and USB sockets and cable from the yoke's case and put it all in a more convenient small box, then plug the box into the computer and the TQ into the box. This would require removing the wires to the yoke's logic board the come from the aileron and pitch potentiometers, and also the wires the run down the shaft from the yoke's handle. Another interesting project!  🙂

Al

Thanks for that Al

Some good ideas for me to look into, i would hate to waste a perfectly good throttle quadrant.

Will the TQ function (and recognized by MSFS) if connected to a keyboard/mouse serial port? BTW my TQ is 6 pin and is referenced in manual as ps2.

42 minutes ago, jdr37 said:

Will the TQ function (and recognized by MSFS) if connected to a keyboard/mouse serial port? BTW my TQ is 6 pin and is referenced in manual as ps2.

If you are talking about the Saitek TQ with the 6 pin PS2 Din connector that usually plugs into the Saitek Yoke housing, then NO, it will NOT work if you plug it into a typical PS2 serial port. Although this TQ uses a physical PS2 connector, the associated electronics in the TQ does not implement a typical PS2 serial port interface. The TQ just uses a PS2 connector because they needed a connector with 6 pins.

Al

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.