Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Cubemap Reflections Setting

What's this setting for exactly?

image.png

Edited by captain420
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

In the release notes it was something about the clouds. I THINK this is what they changed on SU5 about the cloud visuals, now we can change it back (and take the probable FPS loss).

So what is the default value suppose to be prior to SU6?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

When I 1st went to settings, the cubemap settings showed 64, after I changed the settings and then try to go back to 64, the lowest I can set it to is 96 now.

42 minutes ago, captain420 said:

When I 1st went to settings, the cubemap settings showed 64, after I changed the settings and then try to go back to 64, the lowest I can set it to is 96 now.

Same here. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Yeah for me too. Changed it to max, didn't notice any change whatsoever with only scattered clouds at noon. Anyway since reflections are one of the most important visuals (they are seen everywhere whereever you look) I'd suggest the maximum value.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, "Cubemap Reflections" controls how the clouds look when reflected off water. Prior to SU6, some users complained that the reflections were much too "blocky". This slider now allows you to decide how much "blockiness" you want or don't want, with the usual caveat that less "blockiness" (higher number) may negatively affect performance.

For those that really want to play with the setting (maybe increase it past 256 or less than 96) the UserCfg.opt line is "ReflectionProbe".

...jim

• Like 7

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

18 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

For those that really want to play with the setting (maybe increase it past 256 or less than 96) the UserCfg.opt line is "ReflectionProbe".

...jim

Well I'm going for 4092.  What harm can it do?

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

56 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

What harm can it do?

depends how many frames per week you were looking for 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

My system too defaulted to a value of 64 immediately after the update. Now, however, there is no way to reset the value to 64. The lowest is 96. 

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Just tested 96 vs 256 and the difference is big. No impact on framerate on my 3090. I will also try higher values.

This was badly needed since release. Thank you Asobo, at last!

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

• Like 23
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

25 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Just tested 96 vs 256 and the difference is big. No impact on framerate on my 3090. I will also try higher values.

This was badly needed since release. Thank you Asobo, at last!

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Thanks for that Gif, so it's not just the water but wing (other) reflections as well, I had it on 96 in VR last night but may whack it up to see how much of a performance hit it takes.

I enjoy a lot of coastal line flying so FPS generally isn't too bad as half the view is just sea, so I might be able to push this setting somewhat.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Thanks Fuzzy for the gif, could not help LOL when people say they could not see any diffrence(eye test time).....256 looks great, thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip