Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Cubemap Reflections Setting

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Thanks Fuzzy for the gif, could not help LOL when people say they could not see any diffrence(eye test time).....256 looks great, thanks again.

You can't see the difference until you see it 🙂 Then you cannot unsee it!

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

18 hours ago, JimBrown said:

For those that really want to play with the setting (maybe increase it past 256 or less than 96) the UserCfg.opt line is "ReflectionProbe"

512 looks great, and still no performance impact! I will leave it at 512.

I actually set 1024 in UserCfg.opt but it's 512 in the graphics options menu. I think 512 is the max setting allowed.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

23 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

How can the underside of the wing be reflecting the clouds when on the ground? If you follow the refections of the struts it should lead you to ground relections not clouds?

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 7

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Good question, David!
😄

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 minute ago, David Roch said:

Good question, David!
😄

Looking at the last page Gif's ...again the refection of the clouds is wrong? or tell me am wrong!

Clouds refections in water=great the underside of wings refection clouds when none are below?

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

isn't that reflection off the window of the sky above?  does the aircraft have a transparent roof?  not sure what aircraft that is.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

isn't that reflection off the window of the sky above?  does the aircraft have a transparent roof?  not sure what aircraft that is.

Dont think so if you look closely its like the "refection" is a transparency, like its fake. 

Look close at how the cloud runs into the wing, 

eg1.png

Even worse now look at the leading edge of the wing and note the cloud and how it runs into the "wing" once you see it..your cannot unsee it.

Where there is a small "bright" cloud  poking out, put your hand over all below and watch....Its like the wing is not there.

Look at the window frame at the front were it meets the wing....sorry I think its fake. You can see the movement of the cloud like the wing is not there.

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Edited by Nyxx

the GIF actually further solidifies my point.  at the higher cubemap reflection setting, a line become visible just below the faint cloud reflections.  this would be where the right wing joins the roof.  Also, the reflections are moving down as the actual clouds are moving up.

its the reflection in the window.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

the new setting looks great here @ 256. Might just be angles of the pics but it does reflect well in the sim...hah

40 minutes ago, sightseer said:

the GIF actually further solidifies my point.  at the higher cubemap reflection setting, a line become visible just below the faint cloud reflections.  this would be where the right wing joins the roof.  Also, the reflections are moving down as the actual clouds are moving up.

its the reflection in the window.

Yeah, it must be the window because I don't think the wings reflect the clouds in MSFS. At least in external view I have never seen cloud reflections on the upper side of the wings. Why would the lower side reflect them? 🙂

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

Yes it's from the window. I think that's a Cub and it's got a window on top. 

I have seen reflections of clouds on wings, but only the top side like Fuzzy said.

So you guys are saying 512 and no performance penalty? Might have to try that.. 🤔

• Like 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

20 hours ago, David Mills said:

My system too defaulted to a value of 64 immediately after the update. Now, however, there is no way to reset the value to 64. The lowest is 96. 

Mine too,

I am seeing a performance degradation with the exact same settings I had pre update. Not sure if this setting has an effect but it would be nice to be able to drop it too 64 and see if that is creating my GPU to be up at least 10%

Before SU6 once in the air my GPU settled around 88% & CPU 60%. Now I am seeing GPU pegged at 100% & CPU 66% with live weather. The clouds do look better but they are killing my GPU

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

20 hours ago, David Mills said:

My system too defaulted to a value of 64 immediately after the update. Now, however, there is no way to reset the value to 64. The lowest is 96. 

5 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Mine too,

I am seeing a performance degradation with the exact same settings I had pre update. Not sure if this setting has an effect but it would be nice to be able to drop it too 64 and see if that is creating my GPU to be up at least 10%

Before SU6 once in the air my GPU settled around 88% & CPU 60%. Now I am seeing GPU pegged at 100% & CPU 66% with live weather. The clouds do look better but they are killing my GPU

You both have Geforce 1080 and 1080 Ti. Great cards for their time, I had both, but in 2021 they are just old... 😞

With the update to SU6 and an RTX 3090 I am seeing the opposite actually: the sim is much more often main thread limited even with all settings maxed out and resolution scale at 120. Hopefully DX12 implementation will use multicore CPUs more efficiently.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Mine too,

I also saw some degradation in performance, but I think it's just the sliders doing some things differently after this update.

I cleaned out my Rolling Cache and rebuilt it, then set Graphics to Ultra, applied it, then adjusted the sliders a bit. 

Now performance is back it seems like. 

But I'm also seeing the opposite with my GPU, it used to be at 100% most of the time, now it's going at 75-95% after SU6. But your GPU going at 100% isn't a bad thing, it just means it's using all of your GPU resources. If it's chugging along at 88%, it's not giving you the best performance.

Either way, you can set a max frame rate limit in Nvidia Control Panel to bring it down to what you're comfortable with. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

3 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

You both have Geforce 1080 and 1080 Ti. Great cards for their time, I had both, but in 2021 they are just old... 😞

With the update to SU6 and an RTX 3090 I am seeing the opposite actually: the sim is much more often main thread limited even with all settings maxed out and resolution scale at 120. Hopefully DX12 implementation will use multicore CPUs more efficiently.

I get my 1080 TI is an old card but Pre SU6 the clouds may have looked a little worse but the performance was fluid. 

Have you tried to buy a RTX card lately ! I am not about to drop $3000 for a 3090

I get that Asobo are catering for those that have the latest hardware but give those that don't the option of adjusting the settings that suit their hardware. !

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png