Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Cubemap Reflections Setting

Just now, RJC68 said:

I get my 1080 TI is an old card but Pre SU6 the clouds may have looked a little worse but the performance was fluid. 

Have you tried to buy a RTX card lately ! I am not about to drop $3000 for a 3090

I get that Asobo are catering for those that have the latest hardware but give those that don't the option of adjusting the settings that suit their hardware. !

You do have that option, I too had to adjust my sliders a bit to bring it to a reasonable level of performance after SU6. I think they changed quite a lot with what the sliders do. 
Your card is still plenty powerful, and I don't think they actually made performance worse, they just added more headroom for the beefiest of hardware. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 minute ago, Republic3D said:

You do have that option, I too had to adjust my sliders a bit to bring it to a reasonable level of performance after SU6. I think they changed quite a lot with what the sliders do. 
Your card is still plenty powerful, and I don't think they actually made performance worse, they just added more headroom for the beefiest of hardware. 

Thanks,

I will give this a try. When I recently got this 4K TV I did extensive testing to find the sweetspot I am currently at. I was actually surprised what my trusty old 1080TI was capable of.

Back to the drawing board lol 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 minute ago, RJC68 said:

Thanks,

I will give this a try. When I recently got this 4K TV I did extensive testing to find the sweetspot I am currently at. I was actually surprised what my trusty old 1080TI was capable of.

Back to the drawing board lol 

I hear you, I was getting 20%-30% less performance first time I loaded up after SU6, that worried me. 

But it's fixable. Just adjust some settings. Delete Rolling Cache, rebuild it. A bit of tinkering and it's all good to go again.

Your 1080 ti has 11 GB VRAM which really helps with MSFS at higher resolutions. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

12 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I get my 1080 TI is an old card but Pre SU6 the clouds may have looked a little worse but the performance was fluid. 

Have you tried to buy a RTX card lately ! I am not about to drop $3000 for a 3090

I get that Asobo are catering for those that have the latest hardware but give those that don't the option of adjusting the settings that suit their hardware. !

Have you tried to switch clouds and reflections to high / medium settings?

If with the previous build clouds looked worse than now at the same setting, it's normal to expect lower performance now and have to scale down settings.

Finally we have scalability and we can use high end hardware! I understand that is disappointing for those stuck with old hardware, but we have to look at the future. 

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

15 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Have you tried to switch clouds and reflections to high / medium settings?

If with the previous build clouds looked worse than now at the same setting, it's normal to expect lower performance now and have to scale down settings.

Finally we have scalability and we can use high end hardware! I understand that is disappointing for those stuck with old hardware, but we have to look at the future. 

I had a chance to test a little,

Started on low and slowly brought everything up except Volumetric clouds, I left those on low. I could easily get back to my previous settings. I was running the volumetric clouds on high but that completely pegs my GPU at 100% so I did dial them back to Medium

Will have to test a little more to see what they like on Medium. I am guessing something was done to the way the clouds are rendered in SU6, they didn't look great after SU5 did they.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Just to  confirm - I tested this.

The sky reflection that looked like it was on the underside of the wings is actually a reflection of the clouds on the inside of the window, from the opposite direction of course.

I also went up to 512 in the user config with no noticeable performance hit, although I am running a 3080Ti.

The cloud reflections look a lot better, but it is a double edged sword, as where the ground reflections (hills, mountains etc.) used to look fuzzy, they are now a bit pixelated due to extra sharpness.  Not sure what can be done about this.

I have yet to try higher than 512 in the config, but I think it might be better to find a happy medium between fuzzy and too well defined (pixelated), maybe 128 or in that area.

This is certainly a welcome addition, and I am sure a happy medium can be found.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Not sure what can be done about this.

DXR Ray tracing... hopefully we will have it soon after DX12 release.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛