Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Play Misty For Me

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

Any movie with San Francisco, especially old San Francisco before the Trans America tower is a keeper for me.

So, does that mean you think the tower is a blight on the skyline? Well, so do I. I was working in the Financial District when the tower was being built. We'd often walk by there at lunchtime just to "gawk". IMSNHO the only thing worse that ever happened was the Embarcadero freeway.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

5 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

You'd have to pay me to live in California.. Nice place to visit though.  I actually do live on the West coast - of Florida...

So you live somewhere along the Gulp of Messycola... 😎

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not worse, Doug, but almost as bad.  It blocks the view of the Ferry Building from Market Street.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

19 hours ago, W2DR said:

Absolutely one of the best. Anywhere.   https://www.ticklepinkinn.com/  .

That is definitely out of my "Motel6" budget! They are indeed very special accommodations for sure!  🤣

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

47 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Do you remember the "swimming pool"? It's that shallow spot in the river just behind a very small dam. My family camped there over 70 years ago now but I hope that little pool of water is still there

Not specifically.  But I do recall the stream.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 minutes ago, n4gix said:

That is definitely out of my "Motel6" budget!

Everything in California is out of my "Motel 6' budget.

The summer before last my youngest daughter who makes a 6 figure salary took to San Francisco for a weekend.  She wanted me to show her Larkin Street where I grew up and the neighborhood.  We stayed at at a big name hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.  I have no idea what it cost. 

We had dinner at Scomas...my treat.  The coasts are the only places I can get steamed clams.  The poor substitute I get here are Red Lobster snowcrab legs.

Noel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

MSNHO the only thing worse that ever happened was the Embarcadero freeway.....Doug

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

It blocks the view of the Ferry Building from Market Street.

The Embarcadero freeway was torn down in 1991 due to the damage inflicted by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, so that view of the Ferry Building has been restored 👍

https://opensfhistory.org/news/2021/05/16/the-unloved-freeway-a-closer-look/

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten what I think I once knew. Been living on the east coast too long. It warps the mind of ex-Californians 🙂 .

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

That's good news.  I didn't know that.  I went to San Francisco immediately after that earthquake to help with the recovery efforts.  I recall the damage done in the Marina.

Noel

Were you born in California Dave?  I was born in San Francisco.

You know the saying:  The miners came in 49, the whores in 51.  And they got together, they produced the native son.

Noel

• Like 1

I was born in Los Angeles Noel. I accompanied my parents to Monterey when I was three. Being a native, there are two things that bug me -  folks who call The City 'Frisco and refer to Los Angeles as L.A. I have a come back for the "L.A." crowd, I just ask them how long ago they lived in or visited Lower Alabama. I'm still working on one for 'Frisco folks.....Doug

• Like 2

You should have heard my Mom tee off on anybody she heard call it Frisco.  Even tourists on a cable car.  I fell much the same way.  I tell them Frisco was a railroad that operated in the Midwest and South.  My city is called San Francisco.

Noel

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, W2DR said:

there are two things that bug me -  folks who call The City 'Frisco

39 minutes ago, birdguy said:

You should have heard my Mom tee off on anybody she heard call it Frisco.

The modern equivalent of "Frisco" that you hear nowadays that drives me up the wall is when people call it "San Fran". For me, them's fightin' words!😦

• Like 1

There's another thread here about movies, but this one involves the Embarcadero Freeway, so I'll put it here.

A favorite San Francisco movie of mine is "The Lineup" (1958?). Lots of great shots of how it looked back then, when it was still a busy port & South of Market was still industrial.  Eli Wallach plays a pretty nasty criminal.  This scene is where he has to turn over a drug shipment which he lost. This is at the skating rink at Sutro Baths:

Then skip to 1:22:00. This is where the newly constructed at the time Embarcadero makes its appearance & Eli Wallach meets his comeuppance, proving once again, that Karma is a B***h:

Edited by Mike A
Corrected 2nd video
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike A said:

The modern equivalent of "Frisco" that you hear nowadays that drives me up the wall is when people call it "San Fran". For me, them's fightin' words!

I haven't heard that but yeah, fightin' words.

Noel