Engage! - Looks like spaceship warp drives are possible

Yup, really

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

"The longest journey begins with a single step warp bubble."

Dugald Walker

Judging from what I've seen of Humanity in the last few years, humans racing through the Stars will probably look a lot more like Galaxy Quest than it does Star Trek....

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's been regarded as possible in theory but currently impractical for a long time. But the so callsd warp bubble created isn't what it seems.

Edited by martin-w

Gonna fit one on my car later, look out for a post I will make three weeks ago to see if it works. 🚀

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

1z4bu1.jpg

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

47 minutes ago, Chock said:

Gonna fit one on my car later, look out for a post I will make three weeks ago to see if it works. 🚀

Warp drive doesn't work that way Chock. No relativistic effects, no FTL therefore traveling back in time. You as the pilot and the spaceship don't travel faster than light, spacetime does.

Sorry to splatter your humour. 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Warp drive doesn't work that way Chock. No relativistic effects, no FTL therefore traveling back in time. You as the pilot and the spaceship don't travel faster than light, spacetime does.

Sorry to splatter your humour. 😁

My warp drive does work that way, it is powered by the potential for jokes, not facts n stuff.

Interestingly though, I would sort of be able to do time travel stuff (i.e. let people see something which happened years ago) with a FTL drive. The gist of it is that if you can go somewhere several light years away with a warp drive so it doesn't take years, anything you did there when you got there would not be observed at your original departure point for several years because the light from whatever it was you were doing would only go to your point of origin at 186,000 miles per second, in the same way as how we are actually looking at our sun from eight and a bit minutes ago whenever we observe it from Earth.

I might try that one too with my warp drive, but I will be sure to go to the sun at night time, in order to avoid getting burned up by it. See? I think of everything. 🚀

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

My warp drive does work that way, it is powered by the potential for jokes, not facts n stuff.

Amen, brother! 👍

8 hours ago, Chock said:

Joke power is known to be the most powerful force in nature. Fact!

8 hours ago, Chock said:

Interestingly though, I would sort of be able to do time travel stuff (i.e. let people see something which happened years ago) with a FTL drive. The gist of it is that if you can go somewhere several light years away with a warp drive so it doesn't take years, anything you did there when you got there would not be observed at your original departure point for several years because the light from whatever it was you were doing would only go to your point of origin at 186,000 miles per second, in the same way as how we are actually looking at our sun from eight and a bit minutes ago whenever we observe it from Earth.

Hmmm... so not time TRAVEL then Mr Chock. Just seeing images from the past. 

Regarding faster than light...

No. The universal speed limit, which we commonly call the speed of light, is fundamental to the way the universe works. It is difficult to visualize this if you have never heard about it before, but scientists have found that the faster you go, the more your spatial dimension in the forward direction shrinks and the slower your clock runs when viewed by an external observer. In other words, space and time are not a fixed background on which everything takes place in the same way it always does. Instead, space and time can warp and bend.

If you look at the equations which are at the core of Einstein's theories of relativity, you find that as you approach the speed of light, your spatial dimension in the forward direction shrinks down to nothing and your clock slows to a stop. A reference frame with zero width and with no progression in time is really a reference frame that does not exist. Therefore, this tells us that nothing can ever go faster than the speed of light, for the simple reason that space and time do not actually exist beyond this point. Because the concept of "speed" requires measuring a certain amount of distance traveled in space during a certain period of time, the concept of speed does not even physically exist beyond the speed of light. In fact, the phrase "faster than light" is physically meaningless. It's like saying "darker than black."

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2017/07/20/is-the-reason-that-nothing-can-go-faster-than-light-because-we-have-not-tried-hard-enough/#:~:text=No.,the way the universe works.&text=Therefore%2C this tells us that,actually exist beyond this point.

I might try that one too with my warp drive, but I will be sure to go to the sun at night time, in order to avoid getting burned up by it. 

That might work actually. I've noticed that at night time it gets very dark and quite cold. But what about freezing to death??? Maybe you should go around early evening when its dark and cooler but not too dark or too cold? 

Edited by martin-w

If 'nothing can go faster than the speed of light', then why don't we make spaceships out of 'nothing'? 🤣

Anyway, it's not true, my wages can disappear faster than the speed of light ever since I got into flight simming.

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

If 'nothing can go faster than the speed of light', then why don't we make spaceships out of 'nothing'? 🤣

Anyway, it's not true, my wages can disappear faster than the speed of light ever since I got into flight simming.

Your humour is surprisingly accurate. To build a warp drive, one needs exotic forms of energy, including vacuum energy 🙂

On 2/1/2022 at 4:13 AM, martin-w said:

It's been regarded as possible in theory but currently impractical for a long time. But the so callsd warp bubble created isn't what it seems.

I would almost say it is the other way round. When Alcubierre proposed the warp drive metric in the mid 1990s, people were quick to point out that his proposal would require these exotic forms of energy, and nobody believed that we would ever get our hands on that. However, recently, some people have modified Alcubierre's original proposal to a form that may, in theory, be realized at some point in the very far distant future. 

On 2/1/2022 at 7:30 AM, martin-w said:

If you would combine a warp drive with a wormhole, time travel might be possible:

In my point of view, that is a logical objection against the possibility of either warp drives or worm holes.

47 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

However, recently, some people have modified Alcubierre's original proposal to a form that may, in theory, be realized at some point in the very far distant future. 

Sabine Hossenfelder has some very good videos on the new warp drive papers. 

48 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

If you would combine a warp drive with a wormhole, time travel might be possible:

There was an interesting pod cast with Miguel Alcubierre a couple of years ago. Miguel expressed the opinion that we'd be better off attempting wormhole travel than warp drive.

• Like 1