Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Clouds Post WU7

Post WU7 update - anyone else get another 19Mb download 24 hours after?

I've seen some very good weather screen grabs posted recently so decided to have another research hour looking at pixelated clouds. I have on occasions seen some good skies, but mostly poor representation of what the METAR reports.  Obviously the core problem is with the way MS/Asobo are utilising their own weather engine, but I gave it a go anyway.  Unfortunately, REX won again for me.  What is most astounding is the amount of pixelation in the Live Weather clouds - how is it REX can get around this for the most part but Live Weather not?

Boy, am I looking forward to SU8 in the hope of improvements!

KJFK reporting broken at 1600ft and broken at 250. 

REX Weatherforce nailed both layers

REX-KJFK-Broken.png

Live Weather a pixelated/volcanic ash cloud mess with a woeful depiction of the broken layer at 250.  Clouds on the deck or rain reaching the surface, but no precipitation near JFK when the screengrab was taken.

MS-KJFK-Broken.png

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I find you live weather screenshot very odd as there  is a line of "clouds" making a very harsh line right across in frount of the building far right, never seen anything like that before. The building far left also look odd with the building in the middle looking "normal" Looks like a bad photoshop. No saying it is but looks like it.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just now, Nyxx said:

I find you live weather screenshot very odd as there there is line of "clouds" making a very harsh line right across in frount of the building, never seen anything like that before.

I think you are referring to the sea being covered in snow in the Live Weather shot!  The sea with REX was water, but live weather showed the Atlantic covered in snow as far as the eye could see.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

What about the croped buildings? the clouds are in frount of the buildings ( right side) with a razer sharp line from building to clouds.

Am not saying it is but the more I look at it the more it looks like a really bad photoshop of a sky droped over a landscape.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

34 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

What about the croped buildings? the clouds are in frount of the buildings ( right side) with a razer sharp line from building to clouds.

Am not saying it is but the more I look at it the more it looks like a really bad photoshop of a sky droped over a landscape.

I see where you mean - that is just coincidence because the sea was covered in snow so looks really bright - the line of the snow just happened to be at the height of the buildings. It looks normal to the left.  It is just a screenshot from MSFS using the snip tool.  I was watching the PSXT/RT aircraft for a couple of hours and didn't notice anything odd.

The two buildings far left are almost in line with the snow too.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

2 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Got the update but NO live weather at all since"?

Weather goes down for an hour everyday round the same time you posted this.

13 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Post WU7 update - anyone else get another 19Mb download 24 hours after?

AIRAC cycle update, nothing more.

Anyone using live weather since SU7 will instantly recognize this mess. No need for Photoshop.

Another issue with clouds is the change in lighting and colour palette since SU5. It's brighter and more "cartoony". Clouds also have this yellow mashed potato look to them. Someone at the top must've thought it all looked a little too dull and lifelike before.

Then of course the pixelated and shimmering appearance up close.

To prove this I loaded the same weather preset in both Release and WU7. Do you see the difference in quality? All the fine details are gone.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And before someone say "oh but the performance was terrible back then", no. I'm able to run release at full ultra and it's silky smooth capped at 30FPS using RivaTuner on a RTX 3080 and Ryzen 5900X. In fact the current performance is worse now than ever. By optimizing the sim using "clever" tricks like unloading and reloading scenery they've actually made things much, much worse, especially on the ground near airports. All that to make it fit into a BOX.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Anyone using live weather since SU7 will instantly recognize this mess. No need for Photoshop.

Another issue with clouds is the change in lighting and colour palette since SU5. It's brighter and more "cartoony". Clouds also have this yellow mashed potato look to them. Someone at the top must've thought it all looked a little too dull and lifelike before.

Then of course the pixelated and shimmering appearance up close.

To prove this I loaded the same weather preset in both Release and WU7. Do you see the difference in quality? All the fine details are gone.

And before someone say "oh but the performance was terrible back then", no. I'm able to run release at full ultra and it's silky smooth capped at 30FPS using RivaTuner on a RTX 3080 and Ryzen 5900X. In fact the current performance is worse now than ever. By optimizing the sim using "clever" tricks like unloading and reloading scenery they've actually made things much, much worse, especially on the ground near airports. All that to make it fit into a BOX.

Curious - how did you get "release" version working? I would go back to that if I could! (Don't care if add ons aren't working)

You'll have to search for a copy. Multi-player and live weather won't work.

Beautiful soft clouds to terrible grainy mashed potatoes, what were they thinking?!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Beautiful soft clouds to terrible grainy mashed potatoes, what were they thinking?!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Indeed a big difference. Thanks for posting the comparison screenshots.

If you would make a post at the official MSDS forums with these screenshots included I will vote for it.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Are you sure you are not using reshade or Geforce Experience filters? Because i have never seen things that sharp ever. Grainy clouds, sure. But that level of sharpness never.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

2 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am curios on how your UserCfg.opt file is looking. Something is definitely not right with those clouds. 

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I have never seen anything like the clouds in the bottom picture either.  Definitely some over-sharpening going on with the clouds there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.