Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Elon's Video.

11 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

I wonder how would they assemble a spacecraft in orbit since traditional methods like welding, riveting, chemical bonding, etc., probably don't work in space.

That would fall under the rest of my post about having to sort out exactly how to do it. I'm sure some variation of those techniques you list would actually work, we just need to figure out which ones. It might also work better if it was done in orbit around the moon where lofting the materials needed into orbit would be easier. Of course this would require establishing a large base on the moon with mining and processing facilities.

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

I think a Mars Colony replica in the desert of Arizona with all of the deprivations would be appropriate to see how long term living off earth would work out.  Start from scratch and over a period of time add more and more people.

Remember Biosphere 2?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a32419584/spaceship-earth-biosphere-true-story/

2 hours ago, goates said:

I'm sure some variation of those techniques you list would actually work, we just need to figure out which ones.

I suppose I thought the ISS, or now its successor, would be a good place to develop some techniques. Just now, if any damage can't be repaired with a simple fix, They would probably drop the affected module into the Pacific Ocean and order up a replacement. Fortunately, they haven't had that kind of damage yet.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

I suppose I thought the ISS, or now its successor, would be a good place to develop some techniques. Just now, if any damage can't be repaired with a simple fix, They would probably drop the affected module into the Pacific Ocean and order up a replacement. Fortunately, they haven't had that kind of damage yet.

They have been working on 3D printing technologies for different aspects of spacecraft and space flight, including a 3D printer on the ISS.

https://www.aniwaa.com/guide/3d-printers/3d-printing-for-space/

https://www.nasa.gov/content/international-space-station-s-3-d-printer

3D printing is becoming more common in the production of rocket engine parts. Maybe not entirely possible in orbit yet due to the raw materials that would be required to send into orbit, but might work well on the surface of the moon.

https://theconversation.com/3d-printed-rocket-engines-the-technology-driving-the-private-sector-space-race-168146

58 minutes ago, goates said:

but might work well on the surface of the moon.

Meaning in the vacuum of space and at close to Absolute Zero? I think that's what they mean because that's what they will need to be able to do. All the progress so far "on" the ISS is only "inside" the ISS. The really exciting progress would be 3D printing "outside" the ISS.

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Meaning in the vacuum of space and at close to Absolute Zero? I think that's what they mean because that's what they will need to be able to do. All the progress so far "on" the ISS is only "inside" the ISS. The really exciting progress would be 3D printing "outside" the ISS.

Inside the ISS is a good place to start, and so is producing rocket parts through 3D printing on the ground (good experience working with metals and high stress parts). At some point, maybe they can transition that to the vacuum on the moon or in orbit. Or maybe we create large enclosures using something like Bigelow's inflatable modules to create a pressurized and heated space to do much of the production work. Similarly, on the moon we could possibly build large inflatable spaces to work in, and only do the final assembly in complete vacuum.

Edited by goates
Added link

13 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I wonder how would they assemble a spacecraft in orbit since traditional methods like welding, riveting, chemical bonding, etc., probably don't work in space.

They do work. The Russians were the first to weld in space. There are a few welding methods that work. One Russian almost burnt through though, so it's tricky.

11 hours ago, Mike A said:

Yep. A lot was learned. It was destined to run into issues due to the species packing philosophy they used though. But yes, attained many records.

Much is made of the fact the issues arrised with the inhabitants, in that they formed two factions. Those issues were instigated from outside, with disagreements in terms of how it was run between the financers and scientific team. The good news is that despite the external disagreements that caused ill feeling and arguments inside, the inhabitants continued to work together to achieve the mission and ensure each others safety.

I recall the second mission didn't have those issues.

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

The Russians were the first to weld in space.

Although it seems they were welding from the inside of the Soyuz 6, there are apparently some welding processes which could work outside. I was imagining something the size of the SpaceX Starship being constructed in orbit and wondering how they could assemble the outer shell with welds of sufficiently high quality and avoid the rapid cooling which, I think, would lead to brittleness.

https://awo.aws.org/2015/07/welding-in-space/#:~:text=Georgi Shonin and Valeri Kubasov,dangerous space repairs can be.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Although it seems they were welding from the inside of the Soyuz 6

They used a tool known as the Vulkan. Inside yes, but it was in a depressurized compartment. There's a laser welding torch now I believe, a compact unit. Electron bean welding is the best option for outside the spacecraft apparently. 

I mean its definitely possible because if you look at the opening scenes in DS9 they were welding the station, on the docking arm. 😀