Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Elon's Video.

1 hour ago, goates said:

How would it affect the meat produced?

Eating well cooked rare steak is one of life's pleasures.  If they don't have T-Bones and Porterhouse and Filet Mingon and Ribeyes and other things like creamery butter and poached eggs I ain't going.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

5 minutes ago, birdguy said:

If they don't have T-Bones and Porterhouse and Filet Mingon and Ribeyes and other things like creamery butter and poached eggs I ain't going.

That's OK. There are hundreds of millions of vegetarians on this planet, more than enough to populate Mars, assuming they qualify.

• Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

We know that all manner of vegetables can be grown on Mars.

Aren't high protein crops, like soybeans, questionable, at least in the natural Martian sunlight?

Dugald Walker

21 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Aren't high protein crops, like soybeans, questionable, at least in the natural Martian sunlight?

Which is where large hydroponics operations using artificial light are almost certainly going to be required.

35 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

That's OK. There are hundreds of millions of vegetarians on this planet, more than enough to populate Mars, assuming they qualify.

And there are many others for who a nice steak is tasty, but not essential for their happiness or enjoyment of life.

Edited by goates

I just finished reading this Wiki article on Mars colonization.  Quite interesting.  As most of you know I am not a fan of either colonizing Mars or of Elon Musk.  But this should be a must read for those supporting Mars colonies.  It is neither pro or con but a good treatise on what's involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, F737NG said:

Because one day, this will happen (yet again!):

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Biggest Asteroid Impacts on Earth

Crater Location Radius (in km) Estimated Impact Date
Vredefort Free State, South Africa 190 2 billion years ago
Sudbury Basin Ontario, Canada 130 1.8 billion years ago
Acraman South Australia, Australia 90 580 million years ago
Woodleigh Western Australia, Australia 40-120 360 million years ago
Manicouagan Quebec, Canada 100 215 million years ago
Morokweng North West, South Africa 70 145 million years ago
Kara Crater Nenetsia, Russia 65 70.3 million years ago
Chicxulub Yucatan, Mexico 170-300 65 million years ago
Popigai Siberia, Russia 100 35.7 million years ago
Chesapeake Bay Virginia, United States 85 35 million years ago

Meanwhile in our living rooms, Atari is training our next generation to fight this threat.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Musk himself answered one of my questions here.

Musk told Time – the “goal overall has been to make life multi-planetary and enable humanity to become a spacefaring civilisation”, starting by building a “self-sustaining city on Mars and bring[ing] the animals and creature of Earth there”.

I hope he leaves mosquitos out of the Ark.  I hate mosquitos.

Noel

37 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I hope he leaves mosquitos out of the Ark.  I hate mosquitos.

Not just mosquitos:

noah.jpg

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Musk himself answered one of my questions here.

Musk told Time – the “goal overall has been to make life multi-planetary and enable humanity to become a spacefaring civilisation”, starting by building a “self-sustaining city on Mars and bring[ing] the animals and creature of Earth there”.

He also said he'd want to bring more than two of each. Where will he put them all? It would have to be in the confines of a zoo, I suppose.

Dugald Walker

I don't know Dugald. People here seem to think the Mars colony will be another Eden. Just hope he doesn't send an apple tree up there.

I think a Mars Colony replica in the desert of Arizona with all of the deprivations would be appropriate to see how long term living off earth would work out.  Start from scratch and over a period of time add more and more people.

If that works out then a test colony on the Moon as a base for eventual launching to Mars.

Noel

12 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Fast turnaround on a return trip to Mars seems rather meaningless. 

It isn't fast turnaround for the return trip. The video depicts a full scale Mars Dome with a long term presence. Fast turnaround is in terms of launching materials there to build and populate. Many ships, a lot of cargo.

Rather than your... "spend a decade building a huge factory in orbit which requires a multitude of rocket launces taking a huge amount of materials into orbit, yet more launches taking workers who need to be able to withstand micro gravity for probably years building your mega sized Mars ship, they can't of course so you'd need even more rocket launches for worker replacement every few months, yet more launches taking food and cargo. Then eventually, ten, fifteen years later your mega Mars ship is complete. But wait, simultaneously your plan involves doing the same thing, somehow, in Mars orbit. Then, finally, you can launch your mega Mars ship. By this time a couple of decades have past but we arent finished yet. Now it's time for more multiple, smaller ships to ferry everything down to the surface.

A bit complex and time consuming. Let's stick to numerous rapidly built SpaceX Spaceships. Reusability and rapidity is just what we need for the several refueling sessions that will be required for each ship.

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

People here seem to think the Mars colony will be another Eden.

Where did anyone say it would be easy or another Eden? It will be challenging and definitely not a pleasure trip for the first few, and probably even couple hundred, people to go.

We do have some ideas about how living in more extreme environments work between the research stations in Antarctica, space stations such as Mir and the ISS, and yes, even a dome in the middle of the desert, Biosphere 2. SpaceX will be using data from all of this in designing their colony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2

Edited by goates
Missed a word
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

. People here seem to think the Mars colony will be another Eden. 

Absolutely nobody here has said that or implied it. Initially it will be tough. In time, it could be a very comfortable existance. 

Essentially you made it up.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, goates said:

I'm sure in the long run larger spacecraft built in orbit would be better and more efficient

I wonder how would they assemble a spacecraft in orbit since traditional methods like welding, riveting, chemical bonding, etc., probably don't work in space.

Dugald Walker