Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Feline Idiosyncrasies...

Peter, be with your cat when the vet puts her down.  When I had to have one put down I was petting her the entire time.  I don't think she knew what was happening. The vet gave her the tranquilizer and after it put her to sleep he gave her the lethal dose.  It was only a minute after that she put the stethoscope to my cat's side and said it was over.

At the animal hospital I take my cats to they have a large candle in the waiting room.  They light it when a pet has to be put down and ask everyone to be quiet.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Peter, be with your cat when the vet puts her down.  When I had to have one put down I was petting her the entire time.  I don't think she knew what was happening. The vet gave her the tranquilizer and after it put her to sleep he gave her the lethal dose.  It was only a minute after that she put the stethoscope to my cat's side and said it was over.

At the animal hospital I take my cats to they have a large candle in the waiting room.  They light it when a pet has to be put down and ask everyone to be quiet.

Noel

Totally agree Noel. Through the years I've had to do that for many of my furry friends. My vet has a similar situation with the candle.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 2/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, HiFlyer said:

Unlike a cat, I am assuming you swallow your pills willingly, and don't try to scratch up your doctor.... 🐱

No, I don't do that any more. I just spray up his wall. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

No, I don't do that any more. I just spray up his wall. 

Well..... Everyone does that.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, pete_auau said:

So  the  vet  said  the  next  time  she  has  a turn  she  will  put the cat  down

I wasn't there when my beloved Scratchy was put down, and to this day I regret it. I was disgusted with myself. I knew I'd be very upset and wimped out. I think abouit it a lot and when I do it upsets me. 

Be there Pete if you can. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Well..... Everyone does that.

Is it normal for it to eat through the plaster and brick like that alien movie with its green vomit though? 

30 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I wasn't there when my beloved Scratchy was put down, and to this day I regret it. I was disgusted with myself. I knew I'd be very upset and wimped out. I think abouit it a lot and when I do it upsets me. 

Be there Pete if you can. 

Well Scratchy did have a great owner, remember that also.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, icewater5 said:

Well Scratchy did have a great owner, remember that also.

👍

One cat point for you sir.  😸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Is it normal for it to eat through the plaster and brick like that alien movie with its green vomit though? 

I thought only baby vomit did that in real life, with the only thing capable of withstanding it being mommies (Men melt into gelatinous puddles on contact)

Or people in hazmat suits.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, birdguy said:

When I had to have one put down I was petting her the entire time.  I don't think she knew what was happening. The vet gave her the tranquilizer and after it put her to sleep he gave her the lethal dose.  It was only a minute after that she put the stethoscope to my cat's side and said it was over.

Never had to do anything like that, yet... :sad:

Hope I never do for a long, long time.

• Like 1

Devons rig

Yep will be with her when the vet puts  the cat down, got another  choice to make as well  bring her back and  bury her in  the yard or  to cremate her  and  have her inside. Most likely will have her  cremated  since in  case  if  i move house.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Probably get pilloried for this, but I cant stand the bloody things, Give me dog any day of the week

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

I like dogs too Neil.  When I was in high school we had a German shepherd and a Siamese cat that were the best of friends.  We always had a dog when the kids were growing up.

But dogs are too high maintenance for me now.  Cleaning up dog poop in the yard and taking them for walks is not what I want to do now.  But cats can take care of themselves.  They are low maintenance.  And since they have easy access to our yards they are pretty low maintenance.  They just have to fed and watered.

Noel

• Like 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

8 hours ago, Freo said:

I cant stand the bloody things

This is provocative. It's akin to me walking in amongst a bunch of Manchester United fans and yelling "I hate Manchester United, Manchester City are awesome". For that reason I'm not sure why it was posted in a thread full of cat lovers.  I'm sure you didn't mean it to be provocative, but by its nature it is. 

There is no logical reason for a person to feel that they "can't stand the bloody things". There is nothing about a cat that  should engender, such extreme emotion. And that applies to any animal.

Human beings need to evolve to the level where we realise that our function is to act as caretakers, custodians of this planet. We need to "like" and care for all animals, the flora, the fauna and the enlivenment in general.  

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

But dogs are too high maintenance for me now. 

They certainly are. My daughter and me recently looked after a friends dog. Boy was it hard work. When he wasn't stealing my daughters shoes and running up the garden with them he was constantly jumping up us, uncomfortably so given his size. Its quite a commitment to look after a dog.