Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Latest Google Map Replacement Tool

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I checked all the top issues at least 15 times. Is that not enough?  

You answered NO to my enquiry about port 443 - this issue fixes most problems.

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

You answered NO to my enquiry about port 443 - this issue fixes most problems.

I tried every suggestion on his site, and I see others have had problems with his mod too. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I tried every suggestion on his site, and I see others have had problems with his mod too. 

That is a shame, because the 'new Bing Maps' option give much better colours from the ground textures from the default Bing maps. 

• Upvote 1

GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

That is a shame, because the 'new Bing Maps' option give much better colours from the ground textures from the default Bing maps. 

I have heard that but apparently I am not the only one having issues with this mod according to the comments on the developers page 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

13 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Rather than ridiculous, it is by far one of the biggest graphical upgrades to the sim.

You must be getting better results than me. Are you not seeing low quality distant scenery closer to the horizon? For me, distant scenery looks like Bing maps zoomed out (ugly), and the scenery within about 20 miles of my plane (rough guess) looks amazing, with pop-in / pop-out tiling at the transition between the two.

2 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

You must be getting better results than me. Are you not seeing low quality distant scenery closer to the horizon? For me, distant scenery looks like Bing maps zoomed out (ugly), and the scenery within about 20 miles of my plane (rough guess) looks amazing, with pop-in / pop-out tiling at the transition between the two.

Sounds like P3D with it's popping in scenery.  Yuck. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like P3D with it's popping in scenery.  Yuck. 

While the roads look much better below me, the hit to the scenery in the distance (and the obnoxious popping) is not worth it. However others don't seem to be having this issue, so hopefully somebody can shed some light on my problem.

Edited by Keto Ketchup

5 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

While the roads look much better below me, the hit to the scenery in the distance (and the obnoxious popping) is not worth it. However others don't seem to be having this issue, so hopefully somebody can shed some light on my problem.

What are you seeing in the distance? Not seeing popping, this is a random shot just looking out over KLAS. Anything particular about the distant rendering?

https://i.imgur.com/FzuoEkx.jpg

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

8 minutes ago, Sethos said:

What are you seeing in the distance? Not seeing popping, this is a random shot just looking out over KLAS. Anything particular about the distant rendering?

https://i.imgur.com/FzuoEkx.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev72aqqlytdyo8l/quality_line.jpg

On the left you can see where the scenery transitions from Bing's closer aerial photography to the low quality satellite photography. I added the line to show exactly where, and the green line shows where the next "quality tile" will pop in.

Maybe different regions have better "high altitude" images on Bing, and that's why you don't see what I'm seeing. I'll pop onto Bing maps and see how the American southwest looks.

49 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

No, I don't see that - ill post some images when I fly later.

24 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev72aqqlytdyo8l/quality_line.jpg

On the left you can see where the scenery transitions from Bing's closer aerial photography to the low quality satellite photography. I added the line to show exactly where, and the green line shows where the next "quality tile" will pop in.

Maybe different regions have better "high altitude" images on Bing, and that's why you don't see what I'm seeing. I'll pop onto Bing maps and see how the American southwest looks.

That screenshot does look very blurry, I don't see that at all.  With the Google Map tool using 'New Bing Maps' I see pin sharp out to the distance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

That screenshot does look very blurry, I don't see that at all.  With the Google Map tool using 'New Bing Maps' I see pin sharp out to the distance.

I'm going to try it one more time with my Terrain detail slider maxed out to see if that makes any difference. I'll also take a test flight out west, to see if it's a location issue.

Still love this tool so much, the detail in the imagery with this in some places is insane. Not that weird mush that default Bing has. 

b4wpAjL.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Still love this tool so much, the detail in the imagery with this in some places is insane. Not that weird mush that default Bing has. 

b4wpAjL.jpg

So I wonder why doesn't Asobo do us all a favor and switch to the new Bing Maps, so we don't have to screw around starting and stopping mods that might not work? 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Okay, I've improved things at lower flight levels by pushing my terrain LOD from 100 to 400 (even 300 is pretty good). At 10000+ AGL, I can still see the "good / bad" line and tiling, but at that altitude I don't care so much about green roads, so my plan is to use MSFS with rolling cache turned on for default Asobo scenery, and then I'll turn off the cache and use this map add-on's built-in cache for my GA VFR flights.

That said, I'm with Bob - it sure would be nice if Asobo would remove their green tint algorithm from the newer Bing images, then we wouldn't need to fuss with this except in those rare (at least for me these days) cases when Google maps is better than Bing maps.