Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Latest Google Map Replacement Tool

7 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

The Google mod that uses satellite data will modify your host files in Windows. Make sure you know what the host files in Windows is, and that you can undo the changes  if you need to. You should make a backup copy of your hosts files in Windows before you use this add-on.

Yeah thanks, no problem there. 

How does using different map data like Google affect mods to scenery like airports? How does it affect photogrammetry cities?

Is anybody using this with SU10 latest beta getting quick black flashes on some tiles when closer to the ground? Seems to come up for both Google and Bing textures for me.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

On 7/26/2022 at 4:00 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

Yeah thanks, no problem there. 

How does using different map data like Google affect mods to scenery like airports? How does it affect photogrammetry cities?

All the map mod does is redirect calls for default Bing data to whatever map server you chose, therefore there are no differences to other mods.

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

This is my favorite mod. "buyer" beware though. This chews through data when using Google Maps. A simple 15-30 minute flight or so can easily use 300-500GB of data. If you are data capped by your ISP.. This isn't for you. 

Thankfully I have 1GB Fios and that isn't a concern for me but I was still shocked to see just how much data is streamed in such a short amount of time. It's basically real time streamed, unoptimized Ortho. You want clean terrain. You get it. At a cost.  

Edited by styckx
  • Like 3

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

2 hours ago, styckx said:

This is my favorite mod. "buyer" beware though. This chews through data when using Google Maps. A simple 15-30 minute flight or so can easily use 300-500GB of data. If you are data capped by your ISP.. This isn't for you. 

Thankfully I have 1GB Fios and that isn't a concern for me but I was still shocked to see just how much data is streamed in such a short amount of time. It's basically real time streamed, unoptimized Ortho. You want clean terrain. You get it. At a cost.  

How is the rendering performance? Do you lose any FPS for this?

1 minute ago, Virtual-Chris said:

How is the rendering performance? Do you lose any FPS for this?

Performance wise I notice absolutely no difference. No pop in, no blurry textures at all. It's just the same, just much finer and higher resolution terrain tiles 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Just now, styckx said:

Performance wise I notice absolutely no difference. No pop in, no blurry textures at all. It's just the same, just much finer and higher resolution terrain tiles 

Awesome. I need to try this. What happens when you fly over a photogrammetry city? Is that rendered the same or better than with Bing data or does that fall apart?

5 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Awesome. I need to try this. What happens when you fly over a photogrammetry city? Is that rendered the same or better than with Bing data or does that fall apart?

Yeah, photogrammetry stays exactly the same. This mod just basically replaces the carpet but the furniture that sits on it stays the same 

Edited by styckx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, styckx said:

A simple 15-30 minute flight or so can easily use 300-500GB of data

I'm surprised that Google Maps doesn't automatically block your IP for a while if you're downloading that much data from them in such short time.

I use the tool without issue.  No tile pop ecetera.  With my internet it would take over a week to download 500gb.

sp

Guest Sceadu

Im tempted...Is it easy to roll back to Bing if this mod causes problems?

6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Is anybody using this with SU10 latest beta getting quick black flashes on some tiles when closer to the ground? Seems to come up for both Google and Bing textures for me.

Hi, scotchegg,

Yes, I've experimented dark intermittent patches on some tiles while flying. So I've uninstalled the Map Replacement Tool until that problem is solved (perhaps with the SU final update or the Map Tool adaptation by the author).

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sceadu said:

Im tempted...Is it easy to roll back to Bing if this mod causes problems?

Yes, it is easy by just clicking the Stop Mod button. Next time you use MSFS you'll have the default Bing Tiles.

• Like 1

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

21 hours ago, styckx said:

I just noticed I typoed something major here. 

300-500MB not GB..  So on average close to 1GB per hour. No idea what default MSFS streaming eats up

Edited by styckx
  • Like 2

Guest Sceadu
7 hours ago, styckx said:

I just noticed I typoed something major here. 

300-500MB not GB..  So on average close to 1GB per hour. No idea what default MSFS streaming eats up

That sounds more like it, I only have 300mb/s connection and its fine.