Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I'm a marmalade person...

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I was given marmalade a few times as a kid, and have tried it off an on since then to confirm that I still don't like it..... :unsure:

It wasn't proper marmalade then. 

Currently in my fridge...

Frank Cooper's Fine Cut Oxford Marmalade, Seville Orange 454g | Sainsbury's

Just had some wonderful Smuckers Orange Marmalade this morning on tasty, toasted Italian bread. This thread made me so hungry for it.

Stan

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

If you love the butter in the states, you’d die over the French butter. It’s so creamy and has such a nice, natural flavor. It’s darn near like a cheese in a way.

Do you happen to know if its made from cow's milk or from some other animal?

I have a book on pizza from a guy named Ken Forkish and he says that authentic mozzarella for Italian pizza is actually made from water buffalo milk.  You can apparently buy it here in the US but I've never seen it anywhere.  It might be that the butter is also made from buffalo milk.

I'd love to be able to try a pizza crust made with buffalo milk.  I use regular buttermilk for all my bread products right now. (not thin crust pizza though)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I checked Amazon and French butter and water buffalo milk and camel's milk and water buffalo mozzarella and a lot of other gourmet stuff is available.  But it's all quite expensive.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I think the less expensive marmalades contain orange juice rather than the oranges. Check the ingredient list. 

Dugald Walker

The ingredients list on my jar of Smucker's Orange Marmalade is as follows:

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Corn Syrup

Orange Peel

Orange Juice

Fruit Pectin

Citric Acid

Natural Orange Flavor

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

I checked Amazon and French butter and water buffalo milk and camel's milk and water buffalo mozzarella and a lot of other gourmet stuff is available.  But it's all quite expensive.

I've seen buffalo milk butter on Amazon but I just can't wrap my head around buying fresh dairy products from an online warehouse type place.  If I could find it at a local store (ironically even if they bought it from a warehouse), I might get it.

I just like trying different things to see what works.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

30 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Natural Orange Flavor

I wonder what's the difference between natural orange flavour and orange juice.

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

I wonder what's the difference between natural orange flavour and orange juice

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations describes a natural flavorant as: the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional.

Artificial flavors include any substance, the function of which is to impart flavor, which is not derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof.[1]

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

The ingredients list on my jar of Smucker's Orange Marmalade is as follows:

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Corn Syrup

Those two are very dodgy for your health. ☠️

Edited by martin-w

2 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Those two are very dodgy for your health.

Gee, I've been digesting that stuff for 88 years now.  I wonder when I'm going to start feeling the effects.

Noel

15 hours ago, harrry said:

Ginger marmalade has  the right bite.

Followed by  vegemite on toast.

I have never tried Vegemite. I think if I ever see some in my local market I might give it a try. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 minute ago, 188AHC said:

I have never tried Vegemite. I think if I ever see some in my local market I might give it a try. 

If it's exactly the same as Marmite, it will be VERY SALTY and sort of yeasty.

Dugald Walker

Vegemite is available in jars from Amazon.

Noel

15 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Gee, I've been digesting that stuff for 88 years now.  I wonder when I'm going to start feeling the effects.

Noel

Luckily you are a sample size of one and got away with it.