Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I'm a marmalade person...

Martin, I've never heard of Mamite.  But then there are several things some folks like that I don't care for...like caviar on crackers or liverwurst sandwiches or calf's brains stirred in with scrambled eggs (one of my Dad's favorites) or organ meats of any kind including Rocky Mountain oysters.

But I do savor lobster and crab which a friend of mine detests.  He calls them the cockroaches of the sea.

Noel.

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Martin, I've never heard of Mamite.  But then there are several things some folks like that I don't care for...like caviar on crackers or liverwurst sandwiches or calf's brains stirred in with scrambled eggs (one of my Dad's favorites) or organ meats of any kind including Rocky Mountain oysters.

But I do savor lobster and crab which a friend of mine detests.  He calls them the cockroaches of the sea.

Noel.

I once walked into the kitchen and there was a bowl on the fridge with a brain in it!!! I'm not kidding. My mother and father liked them.  My mother would spread the sheep's brain on a sandwich. A throw back to the war when they used to eat what was available. Pigs feet too.

As for Marmite, its a salty, yeasty spread with lots of B vitamins. The catchphrase is that you either love it or hate it. And its actually true. 

If you ever visit the UK give it a try. Along with Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate (the only REAL chocolate) and proper fish and chips, not the silly little fries you're used to, these guys are fat and greasy and accompanied by a big battered cod. Add salt and vinegar, it's compulsory. 

Marmite Yeast Extract - 125 Gram

Fish and chips blackpool.jpg

Edited by martin-w

Oh, Martin, I've had fries that big at restaurants with rare steaks as opposed to deep fried fish.  What you call 'silly little fries' are pretty good too with hamburgers.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Marmite reminds me of beef soup-bone marrow.  We use to scoop it out and spread on bread with a little salt and pepper.  You either like it or not!  The there's my brother-in-law and his sister.  New York Italian and would fight each other, on Thanksgiving, for the turkey's ass.  Pure fat and gristle. 😧

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 2/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, birdguy said:

I also like my English muffins slightly burnt in the toaster.

Then I think you’d like marmite, I find it’s particularly nice with burnt black toast , very savoury.

Nothing like marmalade, but very nice ( or completely horrible depending on your taste but never in between, love or hate only)

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Martin those look like what we call steak fries. A much different critter from the normal skinny fry. A lot tastier too, in my opinion.

Ooh, Cadbury's chocolate. Ooh, ooh, ooh my.

Gotta jump on Amazon and find some.

Edited by Penzoil3

Just ordered a 14 pak of Cadbury's bars. It's all your fault Martin. Haven't had one in years. I'd forgotten how good they are until you mentioned it.

Thanks

Sue

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

Oh, Martin, I've had fries that big at restaurants with rare steaks as opposed to deep fried fish.  What you call 'silly little fries' are pretty good too with hamburgers.

Noel

Fries are for babies. Chips are for men. Chips are approved of by cats.

Our fat chips are better than your fat chips. 

43 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Martin those look like what we call steak fries. A much different critter from the normal skinny fry. A lot tastier too, in my opinion.

Excellent!

Hmm... you Americans are more advanced than I thought. I will tell the FPCC (Feline Planetary Control Committee) immediately. They will be pleased. 

40 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Just ordered a 14 pak of Cadbury's bars. It's all your fault Martin. Haven't had one in years. I'd forgotten how good they are until you mentioned it.

Okay, I'm going to do it. Yet another gold cat point allocated. Anybody that appreciates Cadburys Dairy Milk is a very advanced human being. 

GOLD CAT POINT X1 😸

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Okay, I'm going to do it. Yet another gold cat point allocated. Anybody that appreciates Cadburys Dairy Milk is a very advanced human being. 

GOLD CAT POINT X1 😸

Dairy Milk??  Is that like Hershey's milk chocolate?  Best chocolate I ever had was in France.  I think about 85% cacao and just enough sugar to make it edible.  Milk chocolate is for kids....No offense, Sue!

Uh, oh!  Standby for disappointment, Sue!  Don't hit me! 😳

People also ask

Is Cadbury Dairy Milk Available in USA?

Image result for cadbury dairy milk

The Cadbury Dairy Milk bar that you'll find in the US today tastes almost nothing like its British counterpart, and there are different explanations for this. The New York Times reported in 2015 that the British version of Cadbury has a higher fat content, as its main ingredient is milk.Jun 1, 2018

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Is that like Hershey's milk chocolate?

Absolutely not. US chocolate is poo. All sweet and yucky. Like those horrid Twinky things. 

The Cadbury Dairy Milk bar that you'll find in the US today tastes almost nothing like its British counterpart,

My god that's absolute sacrilege. Hopefully Sue is importing some from its birthplace. 

Used to live an hour from the factory in Bournville. Interesting place, they tell you all about the history of chocolate and give you free bars. 

https://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en

Resources homepage

Edited by martin-w

I would also highly recommend, if you're in my neck of the woods, that you nip across on the ferry (40 mins) to the little island of Sark. No cars there, just bikes or walk. Take a walk toward "Little Sark" and stop off at Caragh Chocolate. 

https://www.caraghchocolates.com/

Just as good as Cadburys, some might say better. All hand made and delicious. Available to order too. 

Large Carriage Collection

The people of Sark use horse-drawn carts, bicycles and tractors to get around as cars are banned.

La Coupée, Sark

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

Our fat chips are better than your fat chips. 

Heh, heh, heh.  My father can beat up your father.  My car is better than your car.  My woman is better than your woman.  My shirt is better than your shirt.  Everything made in the UK is better than anything made in the US...ad infinitum.  

Noel

Edited by birdguy

23 hours ago, martin-w said:

Bet you couldn't handle Marmite on toast... X4.

Nor would I want to.