Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

San Francisco Nostalgia...

We keep going back to San Francisco in some of these threads.  I'm starting a new one here.  Some of you may remember this from my Me and Lee series.  Imagine two little boys wandering around downtown all by themselves.

Going Downtown

Going downtown was always an adventure for Lee and I.  At first, Mom used to take us shopping with her.  Then, when I was about 9 and had joined the Cub Scouts, Mom let Lee and I go downtown by ourselves.

Downtown was a pretty long walk from Larkin and Pacific, especially for runt towheads with short legs.  Depending on our route, it was about twenty blocks from our house to the Emporium, the major department store on Market Street.  Sometimes Mom gave us cable car fare, but usually we walked.

We knew where the toy and hobby departments were in all the stores.  There was a pet shop on Maiden Lane, and Roos Brothers, a men's clothing store with a large sporting goods department, was across the street from the Emporium.  They ran free hunting and fishing movies downstairs.

There were a couple of Army Surplus stores on market street, and several pawn shops on Mission Street, a block down from Market.  These drew us like magnets to windows full of exotic items we never saw in the department stores.

The adventure started right after breakfast.  Lee and I would bolt out the door and start down Larkin Street.  We'd walk though Civic Center park and a block later we were on Market Street.  

The Crystal Palace Market was just across the street.  It was like a farmers market, an entire block of fresh produce stands and fish and meat counters.  It smelled almost like Chinatown, but not quite so bad.

We'd turn down Market toward the Ferry Building.  The traffic was usually pretty heavy, and the four sets of streetcar tracks made things even more exciting.

It was three blocks to the big Woolworth Store.  That would be our first stop of the day.  They had two large toy counters.

Next came the Emporium, about a block away.  We rode the escalator to the fourth floor and headed straight to the toy department.  We walked through the aisles of toys on our way to the hobby shop.  The Emporium's hobby shop was out favorite place.  There we would see model ship and airplane kits, the assembled versions and the open kit boxes sitting side by side.

There was a model PT boat I lusted after for years, but I was never able to save enough money to buy it.  There were flying models and little gasoline engines to power them with.  We'd never afford those either.  After picking up any free literature that happened to be on the counter, we took the escalator down to the mezzanine.  There, right outside the ladies room, was a Dole pineapple juice machine.  It was real hi-tech it's time.  
I would put in a nickel and watch the paper cup drop down. The spout would move over it and pour out pineapple juice.  The little door would open automatically, and I'd reach in and grab my drink.  Then it was Lee's turn.

If we didn't have money to operate the machine ourselves, we'd wait for someone else to come up and put a nickel in it, just so we could watch it operate.

Roos Brothers and the free movies were right across the street.  That would kill an hour or so and give us a chance to rest our little feet.

At Stockton Street we left Market and walked to Union Square.  On one corner was the White House and a block away was the City of Paris.  Both of these department were similar to the Emporium, and worthy of our inspection.

After we were department stored out, we headed to Maiden Lane and the pet store.  We  played with the puppies and kittens, looked at the exotic tropical fish, and checked out the exotic birds.  That was worth another hour, at least.

Our trip home usually took us through Chinatown.  We hiked up Grant Avenue to Old Saint Mary's, and stopped in.  This was more of a rest stop than a prayer stop, but we went through motions.  After dipping our fingers in the holy water, we made the sign of the cross and went into the great hall. Entering a pew we'd kneel and say an Our Father and a couple of Hail Marys.  Then we'd sit and rest our feet for a while.

If we were really tired, we walked back down Grant Avenue to Bush Street, and Dad's print shop.  We would tell him we stopped in to see what he was doing, and hope he was ready to leave and take us home with him on the cable car.

Otherwise, we'd continue down Grant Avenue, taking in the mysterious products and smells of the East, until we reached Jackson Street.  Then it was only eight blocks over the hill to Larkin.  If we were lucky, a cable car would pass, and we could hitch a ride on the back until the conductor made us get off.  Sometimes, if business was slow, he'd just wave us onto the back platform and let us ride to Larkin Street like regular passengers.

As soon as we went in the front door Mom would open the refrigerator and pour us a glass of milk.  A half a sandwich would quickly follow.  And for the rest of the afternoon we would tell her everything we had seen, and everything that we wanted.

Noel

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Really liked reading that Noel.

I lived in Redwood City for around a year (my sister and some relatives lived there) . I went to the City whenever i could usually by train

and iff i drove i took 280, rather than 101, because it was less busy and the drive was stunning. I dont know the city in detail like you do,

but i remember a central neighbourhood that was quite high up in the hills, and all the doors on the houses were all different colored painted (like cottages)..

I saw the Giants vs Atlanta Braves at Candlestick Park, i remember::) 

A few times we went to 'Half Moon Bay' and Santa Cruz on the coast, and went inland to the Sierras (Donna summit and Tahoe) and Virginia City too.

Nice area for a childhood im sure!

Unfortunately there is no "sad" response available here other than finding and including an emoji. SF today........  So sad!  🥵

Not a planned destination for me.  Nor is Portland or Seattle, or LA.  What a world!  Oh, what a world!

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Oh boy, just reminiscing about my year in SF. U R right, but something fairly big has to change for the better sometime 

A thought provoking story. Thanks for the ride.

Edited by irocx
  • Like 1

Regards, Kendall

12 hours ago, icewater5 said:

and all the doors on the houses were all different colored painted (like cottages)..

You are probably thinking of Alamo Square.  I don't know if all the doors are painted different colors but it is a popular San Francisco landmark.  Alamo is the Spanish word for Cottonwood Tree.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/alamo-square-complete-guide-4769490

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

11 hours ago, icewater5 said:

but something fairly big has to change for the better sometime 

If you were going to restore San Francisco to what it once was the first step is to tear down that monstrosity called the TransAmerica Tower.

My mother hated it as do I think most look on the city as something unique in the world.

Mom was a soft spoken woman who loved San Francisco.  She had a somewhat meek persona.  But call San Francisco 'Frisco' and she turned into a wildcat.

I had an in-law uncle who worked for Shell Oil.  He lived in Connecticut.  He came to San Fracisco on business and was having dinner at our house.  He was my father's brother-in-law.

He dared called it Frisco and she slapped him across the cheek and gave him a severe tongue lashing that I don't think he ever forgot.  He never said Frisco in her presence again.

Noel

Lol that is one tower

25 minutes ago, birdguy said:

most look on the city as something unique in the world.

Unique is the right word. I recall "San Francisco" (better say it right:), for its varied districts

as well. Like the building designs and architecture (even some Victorian looking buildings i recall) switch from one district to the next, and the elevation level of course. 😊, most with views to the ocean and the Bay.

Best

Dan,

57 minutes ago, icewater5 said:

Unique is the right word. I recall "San Francisco" (better say it right:), for its varied districts

Lots of districts.  Mission, Twin Peaks, Russian Hill, North beach, China Town, Marina, Presidio, Sunset, Richmond, Telegraph Hill.  And there are more I can't recall offhand.

We lived in what you might call the Polk Street District just below Russian Hill.  Near the top of Russian Hill you will find two premier hotels.  The Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins.

A printer friend of my Dad's ran the small print shop at the Fairmont and would let my brother and I in the pool so we could go swimming.

My Dad printed menus for several restaurants in North beach and we would go out to eat at one about once a month.  Italian or French food.  And I recall the owner always coming to our table when our meal was finished and picking up the check.

The father of my best friend, Richard Brosio, owned Julius Castle on the east side of Telegraph Hill.

One of Jack London's daughters, Jesse Flemming, was a friend of my Dad's.

My Dad  had a young Chinese apprentice at the shop.  His name was Jimmy.  And he used to come to the house sometimes and cook us a Chinese dinner. 

I feel very privileged to have grown up and spent my early formative years there.  We were a VERY San Francisco family.  And when I was in the Colorado Air National Guard I was very lucky to make two or three TDY trips a year to San Francisco since we supported the 6th US Army HQ at the Presidio.  

Noel

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Lots of districts.  Mission, Twin Peaks, Russian Hill, North beach, China Town, Marina, Presidio, Sunset, Richmond, Telegraph Hill.  And there are more I can't recall offhand.

Are ya tryin' to make me homeless, Noel?  How's about Glen Park??  In fact, in about an hour, I'm going to "beautiful" downtown Glen Park for my weekly Sunday super chicken burrito!  It don't get better than that! 🌯😀

download.jpeg

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

My first time in San Francisco was in 1992, with some friends, but then I came back the next year with my then girlfriend (now wife since 22 years), and we both seriously loved the city.

We took one of the usual open dual deck tourist bus that went through most of the notable places, and I recall very well what the tour presenter said when we passed close to some Victorian Houses: she said the could be quite "expensive", at even 500-600 US$. Even if in 1992/1993, the US$ was worth almost half compared to what was our national currency at the time ( italian Lira ) which later became the euro but, as much as we liked the place:

- 500K seemed to be a lot of money back then.

- We were a bit afraid of the quakes.

So, we decided to let go of the idea of moving there. Had we done it, we could probably retire comfortably now, if we sold that house today. Or anything in San Francisco, even a shed, most likely...that's what "San Francisco nostalgia" means to me.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, birdguy said:

"Yes, lots and each with their own character," .

My Dad printed menus for several restaurants in North beach and we would go out to eat at one about once a month.  Italian or French food.  And I recall the owner always coming to our table when our meal was finished and picking up the check.

My Dad  had a young Chinese apprentice at the shop.  His name was Jimmy.  And he used to come to the house sometimes and cook us a Chinese dinner.

"Very cosmopolitan place San Francisco. The Mission district especially iff i recall".

I feel very privileged to have grown up and spent my early formative years there.  We were a VERY San Francisco family.  And when I was in the Colorado Air National Guard I was very lucky to make two or three TDY trips a year to San Francisco since we supported the 6th US Army HQ at the Presidio.  

Noel

" Must have been lovely. Right in the city as well  . As you know Redwood City is around 25 miles south, but the drive was great".

20 minutes ago, virtuali said:

So, we decided to let go of the idea of moving there. Had we done it, we could probably retire comfortably now, if we sold that house today. Or anything in San Francisco, even a shed, most likely...that's what "San Francisco nostalgia" means to me.

Too many people with too much money to spend.

I read an article the other day about Spokane Washington becoming another 'boom town'.  Housing prices skyrocketing and news businesses moving there because people were moving there.

They have been priced out of many Southern California cities like San Diego and Santa Barbara.  San Francisco and Portland and Seattle further north.  Now the city of choice is Spokane.  In a few years it will move to Boise Idaho.  Denver is already an expensive city.

Noel