Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Q and Picard: Season 2, the full scene.

17 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I never liked the Q character (or the actor for that matter), and from this preview my opinion hasn't changed. If anything, the character is even worse.

The thing about Q, is it if you look at most of his appearances, not all of them, but most of them, he tends to show up and be very irritating and annoying while simultaneously interfering in a way that coincidentally stops either Picard or the Federation from stepping into a situation that will likely destroy them.

His appearances can either tip you off to an upcoming threat, or place him in the middle of it in such a way that complete disaster is averted even as he annoys the word not allowed out of you.

That, or some strange thing happens with no logical cause, which nonetheless ends up saving Picard, or the Enterprise, or the Federation from disaster.

He seems to have a keen interest in humanity, with an especially Keen interest in one particular human named Picard, but takes pains to hide the altruism of his interference under a veneer of taunting and contempt.

As a Q, I don't think he's actually allowed to interfere in the way that he often does, but he keeps ending up saving Humanity even while he tries very hard to look like that's not what he's doing.

And here he is again, this time openly admitting to intervening in an event that ended up with Picard and Friends being killed / destroyed on the stargazer, by adjusting history in a way that gives Picard a second chance.

I get the distinct impression from Picard mentioning a change in Q, and making the comment about Q being sick, that Q is probably paying some sort of deep personal price for this overt interference.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@HiFlyer - I have noticed that myself and have come to the same conclusions. I enjoy the "interference" of Q and look forward to what the writers have devised. Just finished S02E02 and it looks like it's really going to get interesting.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 hours ago, n4gix said:

I never liked the Q character (or the actor for that matter), and from this preview my opinion hasn't changed. If anything, the character is even worse.

I'm not fond of the character either. I could put up with him in an episode or two but I think he's been over used. The Borg have been too of course but then the Borg are pretty awesome. 

I regard Q as a Deus X Machina in a way. In that his omnipotent powers allow the writers to cheat their way into a conclusion. Bit like the worm hole aliens in DS9, where one episode with a impending and seemingly disastrous outcome for the station was mitigated at the very last second with the super powerful worm hole aliens simply destroying the Cardassian ships. Lazy writing, not something that was common in DS9.

22 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I get the distinct impression from Picard mentioning a change in Q, and making the comment about Q being sick, that Q is probably paying some sort of deep personal price for this overt interference.

Thanks for the elucidation, Devon. Now I better understand Q, yet still don't care for the actor. Perhaps it's the sneering and contemptuous attitude that turns me off... 😏

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 3/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, martin-w said:

😧   That was a spoiler! We don't see it it Brit Land until Friday. 😃

How was it? Looks decent. 

So, by now you've probably seen the episode. Perhaps I should ask, what did you think?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

So, by now you've probably seen the episode. Perhaps I should ask, what did you think?

I really liked it.

I wouldn't say it was prefect, there were a few minor cringey bits, but yes, I thought it was very good, enjoyable. 

I'm looking forward to episode 3. 👍

And for some reason I found Patrick Stewart's acting better than in season one. Thought he was a bit off his game in season one, unless it was inadequate directing.

Better writing too, narrative better, dialogue better. 

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

I wouldn't say it was prefect, there were a few minor cringey bits, but yes, I thought it was very good, enjoyable. 

Yeah.... for me, most of the cringy moments came from the doctor, who seems to be in the running to become the new Tilley. Not sure why the showrunners (I assume) seem to have such a soft spot for such ditzy characters.....

EDIT: The only similar character in previous shows seems to be Barkley, and while awkward, Barkley was never played as.... eye-rolling socially inept as Agnes (and Tilley) are in the new shows

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Yeah.... for me, most of the cringy moments came from the doctor, who seems to be in the running to become the new Tilley. Not sure why the showrunners (I assume) seem to have such a soft spot for such ditzy characters.....

Yep, annoying character isn't she. Maybe the Borg can assimilate her? But then they like to add to the collective, enhance it, not degrade it, so probably not. 🙂

Just watched a clip from tonight's episode, looks great. Looking forward to watching it later on. 👍

On 3/18/2022 at 5:20 AM, martin-w said:

Just watched a clip from tonight's episode, looks great. Looking forward to watching it later on. 👍

I'm watching the episode and feeling quite conflicted. One or two actually creative moments, surrounded by kind of bland attempts at drama that struggle not to fall flat, mostly due to being so been-there-done-that predictably formulaic.

No massive missteps, but nothing really groundbreaking either.

Watchable.....

I do wonder about whoever is doing the music. There is this dramatic sting they have been using repeatedly in the first three episodes... A horror movie chorus of cellos rising to a dramatic crescendo and then a scene cut.

Nice the first few times maybe, but by the eighth time they use the exact same slice of music the exact same way, one may begin to wonder about the shows budget.

Hopefully the season finds its feet. Or not.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

No massive missteps, but nothing really groundbreaking either.

I really liked it. Thought it was the best episode yet. Acting was better, dialogue was better, direction was better. 

I do wonder about whoever is doing the music. There is this dramatic sting they have been using repeatedly in the first three episodes... A horror movie chorus of cellos rising to a dramatic crescendo and then a scene cut

Yep, I agree. Good background music adds to the ambiance but you don't actually notice its there. This music is overly dramatic and a tad annoying. I tuned it out though. 

• Like 1

On a side note, I am watching Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery at the moment, and I am enjoying it. To be honest, the series has improved considerably since Season 1. I still think that the Spore Drive is bonkers, but at least it is just background material these days.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

On a side note, I am watching Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery at the moment, and I am enjoying it. To be honest, the series has improved considerably since Season 1. I still think that the Spore Drive is bonkers, but at least it is just background material these days.

Yeah its a bit better I suppose. But I still screw my face up and mutter swear words under my breath while watching it. Some of the choices they make regarding dialogue, direction make me cringe. And the Burnham actor has but three expressions, severe IBS face, I'm about to cry face and I'm about to cry face combined with extreme awe. The spore drive thing where the ship spins around is pathetic, god knows who's idea that was. And that Cleveland Book characters ship, the way it flies apart in space and then joins itself back together again... oh for gods sake. And don't get me started on this weird space barrier around the galaxy. But yes... its science fiction so I do manage to extyract "some" enjoyment from it.

The latest episode of Picard I liked again. Like this series of Picard a lot actually. It gets a thumbs up and a cat award from me. 👍😺

Except for seven of nine in a car chase. That was just cheesy.

Devons rig

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Except for seven of nine in a car chase. That was just cheesy.

True enough. And they didn't emphasise enough her unfamiliarity with antique technology. Yeah, she drove fast and a bit erratic, but seemed a bit to familiar with a car for my liking. Knew exactly where forward and reverse was. Steering wheel technique, all too familiar to her. 

Edited by martin-w