Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

MSFS performance tips and tricks + useful apps

52 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If timewarps were real, this post would epitomise them 🙂. If you know, you know! 

Still haven’t been able to decipher the meaning of this. I mean, the time warp stuff is easy, as a time warp is by definition an “anomaly, discontinuity, or suspension held to occur in the progress of time”. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. So that part is crystal clear. But in combination with the rest of the sentence. Nope. But wait - don’t elaborate just yet. I’ll chew on it for a few days then see if I’m struck by an epiphany.

Or maybe I should get some more sleep 🙃

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Thx Capt Piet,

I installed Rivatuner and set  fps limit to 30. Then I tested fen320 and was pretty satisfied as my fps' stayed in 30, everything was smooth and the hammering of my cpu and gpu reduced significantly. 

Petteri 

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Still haven’t been able to decipher the meaning of this. I mean, the time warp stuff is easy, as a time warp is by definition an “anomaly, discontinuity, or suspension held to occur in the progress of time”. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. So that part is crystal clear. But in combination with the rest of the sentence. Nope. But wait - don’t elaborate just yet. I’ll chew on it for a few days then see if I’m struck by an epiphany.

Or maybe I should get some more sleep 🙃

Epitomise:" to be a perfect example of". Does this help? (No relation to epiphany). 

7 hours ago, cobalt said:

Epitomise:" to be a perfect example of". Does this help? (No relation to epiphany). 

I might help, thanks! 🙂 English is not my native language, so I usually spend a fair bit of time looking up words. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

After a successful clean install of MSFS and a clean install of Nvidia drivers, I was getting 12-16 FPS loading directly to runway in the bonanza.  after takeoff, i was getting 24-28 FPS in flight (Graphics settings on Ultra, Terrain LOD at 300).  In seeking assistance, I found your thread.
Here is what I was able to accomplish thanks to your tips and tricks!  (each change that was made got a full reboot before re-launching MSFS.  Sat on runway for minimum 60 seconds before recording FPS and taking off))

Nvidia Control Panel settings: changed MSFS 3D settings to match yours (except I left Low Latency Mode to OFF), leaving everything in the sim the same (I do not use Nvidia Experience). 18-22 FPS on runway, 32-36 FPS in flight (+8 FPS)

Other Tweaks:

HAGS - It was already off so I left it that way. (no change made)

Game mode:  Already disabled.  (no change made)

Disable NDU:  changed registry to disable.  No immediate difference in FPS, but only doing very short flights at this time.

Superfetch:  Disabled.  Loading of the sim and short flight felt smoother even though the FPS was little changed.  19-24 FPS on runway, 32-38 FPS in flight (+1-2 FPS)

Change core affinities:  I left this as the "last resort" option and did not alter anything.  I know my CPU is the bottleneck.  (no change made)

Photogrammetry Cities:  Removed all eight.  I have to admit, I was skeptical that it would change anything.  34-42 FPS runway, 48-56 FPS in flight (+16 FPS)  WOW

Terrain LOD:  I was beyond happy with that, but also decided to lower the Terrain LOD from 300 to 200, just to see what it would do to the FPS and to see what the visual difference was.  48-52 FPS on runway,  58-66 FPS in flight (+10-12 FPS)  The visual difference was small enough to say yes to another 10-12 FPS!

There is no way I could have done this so quickly or easily (if at all) without the information you provided.  The additional goodies that were new to me (windy.com, Volanta and descent.vercel.app) were like the icing on an already perfect cake.

I cannot begin to thank you enough for sharing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leland said:

That’s wonderful, and thanks for your feedback! Blue skies 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

That’s wonderful, and thanks for your feedback! Blue skies 😎

Thank you so much for this comprehensive overview!

My sim is running pretty well already, but it's nice to have all the current knowledge about optimisations in one concise thread, plus there were some tools I didn't know yet!

@ admins/mods: Could we get this thread pinned, please? 😊

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

@ admins/mods: Could we get this thread pinned, please? 😊

Check here:

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

The most important method to get good performance in MSFS is one that I discovered last night via a youtube video. You basically have to use DDU to unstall your graphics drivers, then reinstall graphics drivers using NVCleaninstall which is a tool you can download, by selecting recommended settings plus choosing other settings you wish to install it basically removes the ability for graphics drivers to install bloatware. After doing this I have gained 15+ fps. For example - I used to get around 15fps in and around NYC, now I get a steady 35fps and its smooth no stutters. I also have a program downloaded which purges memory and eliminates the performance degradation over time.

Here is the link to the youtube video that explains in detail how to perform the above method. Please note this only works with Nvidia GPU's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74K-4Bz-kw&lc=Ugz-UApkhO65ThPFZ2p4AaABAg.9c-8sVHbyMI9c-B3Z-PmeF

Also the video for the memory purge program method to stop your performance degrading over time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBqy_8eF3p8

Edited by shamrockflyer

2 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

You basically have to use DDU to unstall your graphics drivers, then reinstall graphics drivers using NVCleaninstall which is a tool you can download, by selecting recommended settings plus choosing other settings you wish to install it baisically removes the ability for graphics drivers to install bloatware.

I didn’t include it in the guide but I did try it. Can’t say I noticed a significant performance boost. If you gained 15fps, that’s a lot!

I’ve since reinstalled GeForce Experience as I need it for 4K HDR video recording. 

Didn’t know about the memory purge, I’ll look into that. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leland said:

After a successful clean install of MSFS and a clean install of Nvidia drivers, I was getting 12-16 FPS loading directly to runway in the bonanza.  after takeoff, i was getting 24-28 FPS in flight (Graphics settings on Ultra, Terrain LOD at 300).  In seeking assistance, I found your thread.
Here is what I was able to accomplish thanks to your tips and tricks!  (each change that was made got a full reboot before re-launching MSFS.  Sat on runway for minimum 60 seconds before recording FPS and taking off))

Nvidia Control Panel settings: changed MSFS 3D settings to match yours (except I left Low Latency Mode to OFF), leaving everything in the sim the same (I do not use Nvidia Experience). 18-22 FPS on runway, 32-36 FPS in flight (+8 FPS)

Other Tweaks:

HAGS - It was already off so I left it that way. (no change made)

Game mode:  Already disabled.  (no change made)

Disable NDU:  changed registry to disable.  No immediate difference in FPS, but only doing very short flights at this time.

Superfetch:  Disabled.  Loading of the sim and short flight felt smoother even though the FPS was little changed.  19-24 FPS on runway, 32-38 FPS in flight (+1-2 FPS)

Change core affinities:  I left this as the "last resort" option and did not alter anything.  I know my CPU is the bottleneck.  (no change made)

Photogrammetry Cities:  Removed all eight.  I have to admit, I was skeptical that it would change anything.  34-42 FPS runway, 48-56 FPS in flight (+16 FPS)  WOW

Terrain LOD:  I was beyond happy with that, but also decided to lower the Terrain LOD from 300 to 200, just to see what it would do to the FPS and to see what the visual difference was.  48-52 FPS on runway,  58-66 FPS in flight (+10-12 FPS)  The visual difference was small enough to say yes to another 10-12 FPS!

There is no way I could have done this so quickly or easily (if at all) without the information you provided.  The additional goodies that were new to me (windy.com, Volanta and descent.vercel.app) were like the icing on an already perfect cake.

Photogrammetry Cities: Are you referring to deleting these?

Screenshot-2022-06-08-200527.png

Edited by iFlySimX

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

9 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Just type in Photogrammetry into the search bar and uninstall all of the files. They are only a few mbs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Screenshot-2022-06-08-200527.png

Well, those are the world updates in their entireties. Instead search for “photogrammetry cities” then click the list view. 

I’ve got a bit more in-depth info on this in my guide:

See Cpt_Piett's post on page two of this thread, and as he stated above for detailed instructions.  There are 8 files that I deleted after searching for "photogrammetry cities" and clicking on the list view in the screen that you shared.  I was really amazed at the difference that change made for me.  I hope you have the same success!

On 6/6/2022 at 8:15 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If timewarps were real, this post would epitomise them 🙂. If you know, you know! 

It sure is Ian 🙂

But Given the number of people in this forum with low post counts and the huge number of new people it should help getting them upto speed. The post and topic numbers for this forum is crazy, to overtake the P3D forum thats been there since sept 2011 is amazing.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip