Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

MSFS performance tips and tricks + useful apps

O BTW if you want a good tip for the Fenix.

If you hate waiting for a loadsheet

Goto weight and balance

Click Resend Loadsheet

Bingo....

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

What actual Nvidia driver do people think is stable?? Had a CTD before no message and it was a kernelbase.dll error.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

31 minutes ago, VBHB said:

What actual Nvidia driver do people think is stable?? Had a CTD before no message and it was a kernelbase.dll error.

35 flights with the Fenix no CTD or any other things going wrong...touch wood...512.95

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, VBHB said:

I'm using the most current one (512.95) together with some of the settings @Cpt_Piett proposed, and so far it's running stable without CTDs.

When I first got back into MSFS a few weeks ago, I had massive CTD problems with the current driver whenever I had a flight that covered larger distances. I actually went back to an old driver, that mostly solved the CTD problem, but led to pixel glitches when panning the view around.

Now I'm doing a few testing flights with the newest driver and the new settings to see if it runs stable. So far it's good, I'm getting stable 40 FPS with my 3070 at 1440p. I think the largest changes I made in my settings was deactivating HAGS and the Windows Game Mode. I also put all the frame limiting and V-Sync stuff over to the Nvidia settings and out of the sim.

EDIT:

To add to that, it was great not touching the sim for almost a year and just playing other stuff for a while. Coming back now is quite the experience. Several world updates, tons of new handcrafted airports, the G1000 NXi, it's totally awesome now, like an entirely new sim. Even the weather works much better now. 😊

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 3

Just realised I downloaded 512.95 and never installed it.... see how I go...

I am also using 512.95 and was during my testing.  No issues for me at all with this version.

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It sure is Ian 🙂

But Given the number of people in this forum with low post counts and the huge number of new people it should help getting them upto speed. The post and topic numbers for this forum is crazy, to overtake the P3D forum thats been there since sept 2011 is amazing.

It’s quite amazing. What would be great would be to be able to edit the guide I posted in the tips and tricks section. So to keep it up to date as time goes by, new information emerges etc. 

• Like 6

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

On 6/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

The lost performance might be regained by deleting photogrammetry cities from the content manager. How to do this: In the MSFS main menu, go to profile > content manager. Search for "photogrammetry cities". You will see a list of various "3D photogrammetry cities" related to the various world updates. Note that some WU content is not listed here (WU2 USA, WU5 Nordics). Click on the list icon, then select all, then click on delete. These are not large files, so it's quick to reinstall these if you need to. It's important that you click on the list icon - otherwise you'll delete the whole world updates.  

Did anyone actually check if deleting those files results in the photogrammetry cities in all those regions not being displayed anymore? Or does it do something completely different? 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

44 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Did anyone actually check if deleting those files results in the photogrammetry cities in all those regions not being displayed anymore? Or does it do something completely different? 

I was hoping someone could chime in on this as I’m not 100% sure. My guess would be that since the amount of data deleted is so small, it would only affect parts of PG in certain cities. @Fielder has written about PG cities in other threads, perhaps he can enlighten us.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

By the way did anyone else try out the “memory purge” app? I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I guess 2020 fs’ers put out a video about it just a few days ago. But the link in the description point to a version of “intelligent standby list cleaner” from 2018. So the program itself is obviously not new. 

I did find a recent version published on May 11th https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3986

According to the announcement from Wagnard (who’s also the developer of DDU):

The application will monitor and clear the memory standby list according the configured options parameter you set.

It may help users who have stutters in games when using windows 10 Creator update and higher version of windows (Including Windows 11).

- You take all the risk and consider this application as-is.

It seems that what the app basically does is to purge the cache that was eating RAM when you are running low on RAM(<1GB). So it might not have that much of an impact if you have a lot of RAM available.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

So did a 2 hour flight was smooth I'll do a 5 hour one today sometime. 

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I was hoping someone could chime in on this as I’m not 100% sure. My guess would be that since the amount of data deleted is so small, it would only affect parts of PG in certain cities. @Fielder has written about PG cities in other threads, perhaps he can enlighten us.

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The standard, deluxe, premium packages of MSFS include lots of PG cities. This will not be reduced or eliminated by removing the later PG updates from later packages: WUs and the GOTY. Only the later added PG will be removed.

I see only a small benefit from these eliminations. So I reinstalled them all. These files are so small that it would be easy and fast to check the performance differences, except you have to reboot MSFS to see the difference, and that is not quick at all. 

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I didn't buy into that Photogrammetry Cities narrative for a long time. However, when I got 2 (two) fps at a Bush Trip starting from KOPF Miama Opa-Locka yesterday, I searched for the root cause. Completely emptied the Community folder and got 21 fps. However, next, I deleted the named Photogrammetry Cities and fps jumped to 42 fps, i.e. exactly doubled.

I am usually quite patient with the devs and I can wait for DX12 and other goodies. But this glaring bug would have required a hotfix within a week, even more as it was detected in the first SU9 beta already and confirmed early on.😟 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I've tried every trick presented here and far and I'm still getting those d@#n stutters on final approach and landing. Annoying.  

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

Prior to release...

I REMEMBER ALL THE POSTS SAYING MSFS WAS GOING TO END ALL THE ENDLESS TWEAKING AND FSX/P3D HACKS!

LMFAO!

Chris Camp