Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

MSFS performance tips and tricks + useful apps

7 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Prior to release...

I REMEMBER ALL THE POSTS SAYING MSFS WAS GOING TO END ALL THE ENDLESS TWEAKING AND FSX/P3D HACKS!

LMFAO!

Lol. With any demanding sim or game there’s some tweaking involved. At least some adjustment of graphics settings at the very minimum. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

9 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Lol. With any demanding sim or game there’s some tweaking involved. At least some adjustment of graphics settings at the very minimum. 

Agreed!

We just can't help ourselves!

Chris Camp

On 6/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, Der Zeitgeist said:

I'm using the most current one (512.95) together with some of the settings @Cpt_Piett proposed, and so far it's running stable without CTDs.

(...)

Now I'm doing a few testing flights with the newest driver and the new settings to see if it runs stable. So far it's good, I'm getting stable 40 FPS with my 3070 at 1440p. I think the largest changes I made in my settings was deactivating HAGS and the Windows Game Mode. I also put all the frame limiting and V-Sync stuff over to the Nvidia settings and out of the sim.

Quoting myself here for a small update:

I now tried a few longer-haul flights in the Citation Longitude, including transatlantic ones going into heavy photogrammetry areas and handmade/payware airports, and apart from a few stutters when photogrammetry is loading in, my sim has been stable at 40 FPS and stutter-free without any CTDs with some, but not all of @Cpt_Piett 's settings.

That is, again, using the 512.95 Nvidia driver for my 3070 @ 1440p. Clouds at Ultra, everything else on High, terrain LOD at 200, using photogrammetry with 8 GB of dynamic cache, live traffic, weather & multiplayer on.

I did disable HAGS & Game Mode, and adopted all of the proposed settings in the Nvidia control panel. I didn't use any of the RegEdit settings, and I let the Nvidia control panel handle the frame limit (40 FPS).

Maybe worth a try for anyone having stability, stuttering or FPS issues.

• Like 1

So using ISLC and it's helped out with large stutters it's more smoother now when at the gate looking around the cockpit.

On a 6 hour flight hopefully no fps degredation and will report back!

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

6 hours ago, VBHB said:

So using ISLC and it's helped out with large stutters it's more smoother now when at the gate looking around the cockpit.

On a 6 hour flight hopefully no fps degredation and will report back!

I’ve yet to try this. I’m away from my computer at the moment. But the concept of memory purging makes sense, and I might edit this into my guide. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’ve yet to try this. I’m away from my computer at the moment. But the concept of memory purging makes sense, and I might edit this into my guide. 

Didn't work for me unfortunately. Barely had anything in memory when fps dropped to single digits again.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

As a quick heads-up, if you are using Process Lasso, there's no need to also use ISLC. Process Lasso is also capable of this automatically if you enable Smart Trim and enable it in Smart Trim options. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 hours ago, Sethos said:

As a quick heads-up, if you are using Process Lasso, there's no need to also use ISLC. Process Lasso is also capable of this automatically if you enable Smart Trim and enable it in Smart Trim options. 

That’s great!

For those that have project lasso, what do you put in the smart trim options section (see screen shot)

i-dNTZdDB-L.jpg

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 hour ago, warbirds said:

For those that have project lasso, what do you put in the smart trim options section (see screen shot)

Thank you for sharing your settings. What settings do you use for ProBalance? Curious to know what is the recommendation about that one. 🙂

From Process Lasso documentation:

“There are several advanced ProBalance parameters that can be adjusted, but generally the defaults are good and the user should be cautious tweaking these settings.”

https://bitsum.com/processlasso-docs/#probalance

Careful using ProBalance with MSFS, as it'll throttle a lot of other active processes to give MSFS priority. However, those processes can be stuff like a lot of the Fenix background applications or other stuff you have running, which can cause a lot of problems, hangs or even CTDs. So make sure you allow all those background processes if you are going to use it. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 6/10/2022 at 4:22 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

I have not tweaked anything in MSFS. Good FPS even with the Fenix, scenery looks good, no stutters or pauses ever. Doesn't need tweaking. Glad it isn't FSX or P3D where you could make a career out of tweaking. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Careful using ProBalance with MSFS, as it'll throttle a lot of other active processes to give MSFS priority. However, those processes can be stuff like a lot of the Fenix background applications or other stuff you have running, which can cause a lot of problems, hangs or even CTDs. So make sure you allow all those background processes if you are going to use it. 

Yes, you mean to exclude those processes from ProBalance?

3 minutes ago, Eef said:

Yes, you mean to exclude those processes from ProBalance?

In terms of the Fenix apps, that could be a good idea.

It is often not necessary to set name based ProBalance exclusions since the other factors taken into consideration cause ProBalance to ignore most processes that shouldn’t be acted on. However, if you notice a process being acted on by ProBalance in the logs or Insights that you don’t want touched, then you can specify a named exclusion.”

T6az2DD.png

Edited by Cpt_Piett