Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Beautifully enhanced terrain mesh in WU10 (USA)

The morphing (which annoys me also) is more of a core sim engine / algorithm thing left over from FSX.  P3D also does it.   
The Orbx DEM does improve it a bit with the way they put the data together (in New Zealand at least), but it doesn't totally cure it.

Asobo said they will look to improve it where they can (when, I don't know), but in one of the twitch sessions, I think they said that higher DEM can actually make it worse sometimes - more data to morph about I suppose.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

On that's a shame thanks.

As above nothing to do with server overload, it's the way Asobo render the terrain whereas ORBX use a different method that simply works just fine. Quite why Asobo don't do the same is a mystery, there may well be a specific reason which is ok but they've never communicated about it so who knows! 

This isn't the first time they've screwed up World Update POIs that they released so this doesn't surprise me(!), as ever QC is severely lacking across the board.

Do you ever have anything good to say about MSFS?

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Do you ever have anything good to say about MSFS?

Yes plenty.

• Like 5

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

51 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Yes plenty.

Don’t forget, you’re not allowed to criticise here…

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Is this an echo? 😬

That is likely a server side hiccup and will be sorted out without the need for an update. The same thing happened with the first USA world update.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Just took off in the Fenix from Lake Tahoe,  looks great!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That's some take lol... Critical remarks are always welcome if they're for valid reasons and valid issues, of which there are still plenty as all of us can surely agree, obviously no one outside of the mods do any "allowing" or gatekeeping around here. It's those who constantly moan/whine and exaggerate certain issues as if they are showstoppers (and I'm not talking about you or others on this thread specifically), or put on their tin foil hats to spit out outlandish motivations and conspiracy theories w.r.t. MS/Asobo, and also feel the need to come in to every thread to keep doing that... it's those that then unsurprisingly get pushback. The fact that a plurality push back so much says something doesn't it.

I can easily agree that Asobo QA is an issue, especially when they've put out inexplicable regressions... but I also appreciate that they're more aware of it now, are acknowledging it, and plan to adjust their release schedules to try and improve it.. let's see how they execute >= SU10.  Some POIs being messed up due to a huge world update, yes that's a regression, and perhaps only a drawn-out detailed QA test phase POI by POI and square-mile by square-mile of the entire US would've found the bug.. so while it's unfortunate, it's not a showstopper issue. With continually delivered software (which a lot us prefer to the stagnation of previous sims), bugs are to be expected, and can also be expected to be fixed quickly exactly because of the continuous delivery model.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I’ve not been on Avsim for more than a few years, but the criticism “ban” seem to have worsened just in the last few weeks. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Still looks the same as WU2, but I must not complain. Thank you for this Huge USA world update bestowed upon us again!

#begrateful #freeA310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just took off in the Fenix from Lake Tahoe,  looks great!!

Are they selling Airbus A320s with floats now? :wink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The first thing I did was load spawn my Kodiak at the new PAVD (Valdez) airport where I experienced bad mesh transitions near the taxiways. Next I removed the 

Orbx Alaska mesh and reloaded PAVD. Then everything worked perfectly for me. I have now removed the Orbx mesh along with the slight tradeoff of a simplified

default Juneau airport.  

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

Yes, but that does mostly not come from the moderators. There are some members here who immediately go for you if you have a critical view.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Yes, but that does mostly not come from the moderators. There are some members here who immediately go for you if you have a critical view.

This. What could be a discussion among enthusiasts too often turn into an us vs them slugfest. As well as condescending attitudes and name-calling. I’ve seen discussions over at the official MSFS forum that manage to stay civilized and quite constructive for days. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6400 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

17 hours ago, MarcG said:

has been discussed plenty in the past and as I said ORBX meshes do not suffer from the issue. 

Yeah, because those meshes are stored locally on your PC, but I'm pretty sure the height data from Asobo is streamed from the cloud.

I could be mistaken. Would have to disable all net connection and compare areas with high resolution DEM.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

The morphing (which annoys me also) is more of a core sim engine / algorithm thing left over from FSX.  P3D also does it.   
The Orbx DEM does improve it a bit with the way they put the data together (in New Zealand at least), but it doesn't totally cure it.

Asobo said they will look to improve it where they can (when, I don't know), but in one of the twitch sessions, I think they said that higher DEM can actually make it worse sometimes - more data to morph about I suppose.

In the latest lifetime bugs list it says that a fix for „mountains/coastlines constantly morphing“ is planned. This, if I‘m not mistaken, is new. As far as I remember, it used to say something like „ongoing (world update)“. Or does my memory fail me here? At any rate, this is good to see. As you said, it has nothing to do with the quality of the DEM, i.e. higher the DEM makes it even worse. If they could get it to the level of Orbx‘s NZ mesh, I‘d be more than happy. 

Edit: Just checked an old feedback snapshot from May and apparently it‘s not new. Anyway, I hope they can solve it in the not so distant future as this is something that‘s annoyed me for almost 1.5 years now.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2