birdguy

Three wonderful movies...

Went back in time last night and saw three classics.  Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwick a romantic comedy full of mishaps.  The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, David Niven and Claudette Colbert.  A delightful feel good movie.  And Meet Me in St Louis with Judy Garland.  A musical with great singing.

Today these movies wouldn't make money.  They don't fit into today's culture. They would be called boring and simple.  No car chases.  No violence.  No guns.  Just sit back and enjoy movies.

Funny how time marches on and leaves you behind.  Luckily there are relics of the past, like these movies, to make you feel good for a while.

Noel

• Like 6

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

Went back in time last night and saw three classics.  Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwick a romantic comedy full of mishaps.  The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, David Niven and Claudette Colbert.  A delightful feel good movie.  And Meet Me in St Louis with Judy Garland.  A musical with great singing.

Today these movies wouldn't make money.  They don't fit into today's culture. They would be called boring and simple.  No car chases.  No violence.  No guns.  Just sit back and enjoy movies.

Funny how time marches on and leaves you behind.  Luckily there are relics of the past, like these movies, to make you feel good for a while.

Noel

Noel,

I couldn't agree MORE!  These are real "feel good" films that I never miss when they show up on TV.  Especially like Meet Me in St. Louis.  At this time of year, I also love watching White Christmas with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen.

Stan

• Like 1

I remember watching Meet me in St. Louis when I was a kid. The whole family. All 9 of us. And we laugh for days at the little girl burying her dead dolls in the garden and then when the family had to move digging them up to bring alone if I'm remembering that correctly.🤣

Those movies are a reflection of the zeitgeist. At that time the desire for Life Love, Compassion and Charity exuded. Today a culture of hate and death prevail and there is no sign of it abating.

Edited by FBW737

It's a cliche,  but America, as well as many other counties in the world were changed forever in the '60s - for better or for worse. 

Big budget heartwarming movies are a rarity nowadays.  I myself have not sat in a movie theater for more than 15 years.  Today, ultra-violence and super heroes abound in films, all appealing to the youngins.  Not my thing - maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon?

That was little Margaret O'Brien with the dolls.  She got to leave them there because they didn't move.

I marvel at child stars like Margaret O'Brien and Shirley Temple and a couple from more contemporary television that just amaze me.

From the Bill Cosby show little Kiesha Knight Pulliam who plays Rudy at 4 and 5 years old.  And Raven-Simone who plays Olivia at 4 and 5 years old.  It just amazes me how they remember their lines and blocking places and fit in so naturally.  Consumat actresses.

Several months ago I was watching an episode of Fear Factor and Keisha who played Rudy was a celebrity contestant. That's why I watched it.  I wanted to see her as an adult.   She's still a tiny little thing full of spirit.  And she beat out all the other contestants to win a bunch of money for her favorite charity.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

7 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

Not my thing - maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon?

I've been one for many years and am very comfortable with that.

Noel

Sorry about the subtitiles but this is the best version I could find.

This is absolute Genius in my opinion:

Micheal Crawford one of the great singers of our age.

Edited by FBW737

It's been a while since your post, but I'd like to add some information. Those movies sound awesome! "The Shawshank Redemption" is such a classic, right? It's one of those movies that stays with you long after you've watched it. And "The Godfather" - pure masterpiece! The storytelling and characters are just incredible.

Last night I was treated to Waterloo Bridge on TCM.  Then a change of pace to Ben Hur.  The other evening I was channel surfing and come in on the middle of an old movie.  I don't know the name of it but I watched it because little Margaret O'Brien was in it,

Two of my favorites are both versions of Little Women.

BTW..in Meet me in St. Louis the dolls were revived because Dad decided not to move to New York.

Those old movies let us re-live a bit of our pre-1960s past for a couple of hours.  Whatever you think of Ted Turner you have to thank him for Turner Classic Movies.

Noel.

I was into westerns in the 60's and still am.  Watching on GRIT TV all westerns now playing Tombstone Territory.

Movie marathon on the 4th  all "The Magnificent Seven" movies!

Some favorites...

Shane  Alan Ladd
High Noon  Gary Cooper
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance  John Wayne, James Stewart and Lee Marvin

A Fistful of Dollars
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Outlaw Josey Wales  Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach

The Magnificent Seven  Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn

Edited by TuFun

Off the top of my head:

Gone with the Wind

The Wizard of Oz

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Sense and Sensibility (1995 Ang Lee director)

Casablanca

-----

Spoof of Casablanca (30 seconds long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxjksXQNlg

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

"Why would God give a father like you a son."  Ringo  "Zane Grey Theatre"

Father claim his son is the fastest gun... Ringo refused, but they threaten to kill his horse.  Big mistake!

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

William Holden, Martha Scott, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi. Our Town. 1941. Nominated for 6 oscars.

Iris Dement's Our Town is really based on Thornton Wilder's book, as is the movie.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.