Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Loving the bad weather in the UK right now!

This sim continues to amaze me. The fog depiction is absolutely perfect. Ridiculously accurate RVR depictions, volumetric lighting effects, flawless autolanding from the FENIX and PMDG. I'm just blown away, since it has been a struggle to get this sim in a state where this was possible. In comparison, X-Plane 11 used to have great low weather, HOWEVER at night you could see the lights through the fog (bug) like 20 miles out, and they refused to do anything about it. Not so in MSFS. NO weird light glitches, just pure IMC to minimums. I'm so pleased!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 25

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

Shouldn't there be snow covering those airports now?

Flights from most origins in the UK are being canceled due to it...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Beautiful shots. I flew out of KORD in the fog just before dawn this morning and thought the lighting was spectacular as well. 

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

5 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Oh wow, I had no idea. I thought the flights were delayed/cancelled due to the low visibility. I've been following some flights on Flight Aware, but they just say they're delayed due to weather. I am in the Beta, so there's the "fix" for the snow on the apron. Up north at EGPH, there was snow everywhere.

B737 Pilot

For me these conditions are still too orangey, in real life in the UK the last few days, the fog has been bright grey/white

And also yes, as the above poster mentions, it would really be much more realistic if there was some way to depict frozen/snowy ground when there is no snowfall

We had snowfall yesteday, the skies are clear today, but everywhere is white

We almost need a tick box in the weather settings to allow real world weather, but define that there is snow on the ground

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, EGLD said:

For me these conditions are still too orangey

Interesting. I kinda see what you mean. But what about when the sun starts to rise or set? Depending on the thickness of the layer, it'd make sense for the orangeyness. Here's a shot from during the day.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

B737 Pilot

35 minutes ago, jcomm said:

It's a modern British tradition to make a song and dance about 2 millimeters of snow and behave as though it's dangerous and unworkable when the rest of the world manages to keep things running with meters of the stuff on the ground. Here it's used as an excuse to get out of school and work.

Frankly, I have always found it pathetic.

Edited by Jazz
  • Like 13

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

agree, I've worked all over northern Europe and they deal with much worse with ease, we go into meltdown, everybody goes on strike or sick  as if we have never seen snow before lol 

• Like 1

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

58 minutes ago, jcomm said:

No snow in the North...

maybe not north north , but south north loads of it ! 😬

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

23 minutes ago, Jazz said:

It's a modern British tradition to make a song and dance about 2 millimeters of snow and behave as though it's dangerous and unworkable when the rest of the world manages to keep things running with meters of the stuff on the ground. Here it's used as an excuse to get out of school and work.

Frankly, I have always found it pathetic.

I was puzzled when I saw the news from UK:p. Here in Norway we have no problems even during powerful snow blizzards. The Dash 8 100/200 just tugs along nicely. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

I was puzzled when I saw the news from UK:p. Here in Norway we have no problems even during powerful snow blizzards. The Dash 8 100/200 just tugs along nicely. 

To be fair, Norway and other countries gets more/heavy snow each year compared to the UK so we don't spend a lot of money on dealing with it as it would be a waste for most of the year. It's just one of those things. 

Edited by Zangoose
  • Like 2

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

1 minute ago, Kaboki said:

You live in a country where you get heavy snow most days in winter every year. The UK gets a few days of snow that settles every 5-10 years. Big difference.

Our infrastructure just isn't designed to deal with snow. Plus everyone who's trained on winter ops doesn't get the same level of experience as our northern continental neighbours.

BTW, this is a *lot* of snow for us in the UK.
EGSS, last night:
stansted-snow-1.jpg

• Like 11

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Ridiculously accurate RVR depictions,

I'm a fan of the RVR in this sim, feels realistic in this sim.
And then you get the breakout from the fog layer when climbing... 🤩

Here's what else London had to deal with weather-wise yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/dyZ1hy4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BS4GAHS.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

oh is that real thought it was GSX !! lol

• Like 1