Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ultimate Smoothness at Modest Frame Rates

3 hours ago, Brocky120 said:

40 FPS works with 120HZ panel, if 60Hz panel, use 30FPS. Everyone has different standards here of what we think is "modest" "average" and "good" and rightly so. I have a 5800X3D and a 3090, but I run 4K, medium to high at a locked 30fps on a 120hz panel and it is stutter free. It's a game of diminishing returns the higher you push framerates and graphics quality, so you have to find a balance.

OP should keep up-to-date with people's opinion etc and we can have an all-in-one optimisation guide, although it does vary slightly for everyone though.

One of the cool benefits of the approach I'm using is that one can limit to whatever framerate one believes they can fully sustain from gate to gate and it is no longer necessary to use the divisors in MSFS (which I did for 2y).  IOW you're not locked into even divisors of your refresh rate.  My screen is set for 100Hz, and yet I can set at 33, 35, 36, 46, etc.  I tested all permutations of this including what you're doing w/ whatever sync method demands you use divisors and none create the kind of ultra low FTV that RTSS' method described does, and this has been the key to ultimate smooth animation at low frame rates.  If I come into an airport that appears to threaten my frame rate lock I might toggle the limiter off w/ the hot key and get all I can out of the hardware.  For example if unlocked yields a rate of say 37fps, and I'm locked at 34, I'll just toggle the limiter off (as described is done in RTSS w/ no need to stop the sim, with a simple hotkey assignment) while on the ground or near the ground at arrival as this is often where the most stress comes--in arrival, v departure airports of the same complexity.

If you care to test what you're seeing for FTV, use CapFrameX.  This is how I established this method is fundamentally different from all other syncing methods.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

They should show up in PL as you set them in Task Manager. No need to reset.

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

No, when you set them in TM they restore to unset after rebooting.  So just reboot, then do you setup in PL.  I don't have PL start with Windows because it prevents MSFS from launching, at least on my system and at one other who mentioned this.  So I launch PL (w/ its configurations already set) after I'm pretty much at the gate.  Also, it can be shut down after initializing and all settings will be retained, until you reboot and repeat the procedure.

Thanks for the info. Regarding TM, I'm actually using a mod that maintains any values changed, hence, my initial question.

Regards

2 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Regarding TM, I'm actually using a mod that maintains any values changed, hence, my initial question.

Regards

Oh, well why use PL then?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Oh, well why use PL then?

Mainly for the more intuitive UI and the ability to group change affinity values. And to give it a try as it's free.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:08 PM, Noel said:

It's a slouch compared to RTX 4090

The 3080 is not a slouch, it's a high end graphics card and pretty much overkill for 99 percent of the resolutions that the average simmers run. 

KoolAid from Nvidia - don't fall for it by drinking itl. 

Edited by Ricardo41

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

and the ability to group change affinity values

I never succeeded in doing so. How do you accomplish this? (Obviously I must have been overlooking something).

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

9 minutes ago, hvw said:

I never succeeded in doing so. How do you accomplish this? (Obviously I must have been overlooking something).

Pretty much like any Windows group select operation:  click the first process in the list of processes, hold the SHIFT key, scroll to the bottom while holding the Shift key down, then select the last one, now all are selected.  Go to CPU Affinity > Always, and make your changes.  And of course remember to set MSFS as the exception to the others.

Noel

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Pretty much like any Windows group select operation:  click the first process in the list of processes, hold the SHIFT key, scroll to the bottom while holding the Shift key down, then select the last one, now all are selected.  Go to CPU Affinity > Always, and make your changes.  And of course remember to set MSFS as the exception to the others.

Thanks, Noel, I several times attempted to do so, but failed as the processes scrolled very fast away from me 🙂 But will give it some other tries.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Just want to say thanks so much for this valuable information! I was skeptical at first as I have a very modest system: Corsair ONE,  Intel Core i7 8700K (3.7GHz >Turbo Boost to 4.7GHx); GPU nVidia GTX 1080Ti; Samsung 39"  Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080, 60hz); ; 64GB Memory (DDR4; 2133MHz); Honeycomb Alpha Yoke; Saitek X52 Joystick & Throttle Control. Anyway, I followed your instructions to a "T" and I am getting a solid frame rate of 33 (my RTSS Frame Limit)  through all phases of flight . That is also with FSLTL, FSRealistic, Pilot2ATC & Fenix A320 running at EGLL. I have also implemented PL and have assigned Cores 0-11 to MSFS (12 Cores) and 0-10 to all other Processes and apps. So thanks again for sharing this information with the community.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

I’m intrigued...I have a 10900K and RX 6800 but will get the occasional hard stutter and rumble/vibration from the PC at times as autogen or something loads.

And I have a Process Lasso license.

I think I see where I assign affinity to MSFS but it seems like I have 0-19 available  - which cores should I assign to MSFS?

How can I force “everything else” to use other cores?

Thanks!

Steve

8 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

I’m intrigued...I have a 10900K and RX 6800 but will get the occasional hard stutter and rumble/vibration from the PC at times as autogen or something loads.

I think I see where I assign affinity to MSFS but it seems like I have 0-19 available  - which cores should I assign to MSFS?

Thanks!

Steve

I have 20 cores in total, of which 8 cores are hyperthreaded. I might be worng, but I assigned MSFS to core 12. Perhaps core 20 would have been better? What do the experts say about this?

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

1 minute ago, hvw said:

I have 20 cores in total, of which 8 cores are hyperthreaded. I might be worng, but I assigned MSFS to core 12. Perhaps core 20 would have been better? What do the experts say about this?

On 12/29/2022 at 1:44 PM,  Tony P said:

right ok - so you removed Core 7 from other processes ?  How do you know Core 7 is your main MSFS thread ?

MSFS runs on the last core be it logical or actual, and this is easily corroborated using any number of core load monitors such as MSI AB's OSD, and Process Lasso shows dynamically all cores running.

The primary reason for this was to get certain processes away from the main thread, in particular audiodg.exe I think it is called and a few others.  I noticed this was the pathway to losing the associated microstutter when ATC text/voice happens.  These may contribute to other sources of microstutter or what have you, and there is no downside except you must run PL before starting MSFS else it may/will not load.  So that is the last step in my flight setup, to run PL.

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

8 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

Thanks!

Steve

As I use PL its purpose is to take other processes off of MSFS' main thread.  You should be able to identify which is the main thread simply by looking at PL's graphic core % in use display on the upper right part of the PL window. 

spacer.png

You will keep ALL cores available to MSFS so in your case 0-19 I assume you have 20 cores so MSFS gets 0-19.   All other process you will assign to all processes except the main thread's core.  You can also change MSFS' CPU Priority to HIGH, as well as MSFS' I/O priority to HIGH.

• Like 1

Noel

On 12/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, Noel said:

and there is no downside except you must run PL before starting MSFS else it may/will not load.  So that is the last step in my flight setup, to run PL.

Can I assume that the above should read, "...except you must NOT run PL before starting MSFS else it may/will not load." ?