Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

Beginning to think this is a waste of time...

I run an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 420MM AIO on my 12900K which is O/C'd at 5.25Ghz (all cores maxed), I see temperature spikes of 78 every now and then when I look in MSI Afterburner's graph while flying in MSFS with everything maxed at my monitors native resolution of 4K 60Hz. The only time I experienced a crash was when I plugged my headphones to charge as the sim was loading up... If I plug them into charge while the sim is running it's fine, go figure. Great little AIO cooler, I couldn't imagine trying to run on air with my EVGA 3090ti FTW 3 in there as the air flow would be horrendous because of the size of the HSF and that's in a full size Fractal Meshify 2XL.

Edited by Jocko Flocko

Andrew Walker

16 hours ago, Phantoms said:

Now you've got me wondering, are you measuring your cpu temp in C or F?

Sorry, I was reporting CPU temps in C, but ambient in my room in F.

Another update:  the ThrottleStop program seems to be helping.  Under light usage, my CPU is in the high 30s.  When I loaded up a flight last night, temps seemed to be mostly in the 70s.  Max was 83.  This was with the case closed, so if things do heat up more, I can just pop it open when simming.  It'll be interesting to see if this stops all the random crashes I've been getting.

• Like 1

OK, so things are looking good so far.  I'm using ThrottleStop to undervolt by -100 mV.  System seems stable, and even with the case closed, my temps seem a lot more reasonable (averaging in the 60s and 70s).  I also set limits for my power.  Have long set to 65W (which is the spec Intel gives for this CPU), and short set to 100.  We'll see how that goes.  Some people were saying unlock it, and let the power rip, but I don't think that's going to do me any favors heat wise.  Not sure what the stock setting was.

If I start to get hotter again, I could look into a cooler or better case, but I will probably just stick with this until I get a new PC.  We'll see if my sim stops randomly crashing now.  Keeping my fingers crossed 🙂

• Like 5

20 hours ago, jarmstro said:

If space is an issue or where airflow through the case is poor then I can see why a water cooler may be helpful. I still think that the popularity of water coolers is based on a fad though. Like programmable rgb led ram sticks it's Christmas every day. It's just unnecessary expense.

All I know is that I keep reading about cooling problems in other (mostly air-cooled) systems, and I have not had any at all in 2.7 years with my Aurora R11 whereas I had issues with air-cooled systems over 30+ years. Opinions vary, and may be interesting to read, but cannot substitute for real-life experience.

I laugh when I read this kind of issues. Obviously are frustrating and i wish you really good luck

but once upon a time there was a time when you actually needed to be an engineer to tune up windows, drivers, sim and hardware settings. With the most @$#^%$ (word not allowed) graphics just to keep below 3,5Gigs of RAM thanks to 32bits FSX/P3D. 

the best gpu/cpu/ram, absolutely useless, because sim crashed just before touchdown after a massive transatlantic 15 hours online event

That was the real pain

MSFS is heaven

Edited by anuk
  • Like 1

Glad to hear the OP seems to have solved his CTD issues.

As for water cooling the other advantage of them is the thermal mass allows them to even out spikes in temp quite effectively though eventually under a sustained load, such as a few hours of video processing, the entire loop will heat up.

It is worth noting that there are a few HSF combos such as the Noctua NH-D15 that are as good or better than any AIO water cooler without the inherent risk of leaks and drowning your system that comes with water. Very few modern AIO leak though and you do need  a lot of space for a NH-D15. 

Custom loops are another kettle of fish altogether.  Bit of an arcane art and not for the meek or uninitiated but a custom loop connected to both GU and CPU makes some serious overclocks possible.

• Like 2

Did a couple of flights now, and still no crashes, so I might be good 😁

off topic, but for those who fly the HondaJet, what speed do you typically set when climbing?  I typically start my initial climb at around 15 deg of nose up, which puts me around the 180s.  Just wondering what was optimal.

• Like 1

As other have stated, 95C is a good starting point to the cause of your issues, and it sounds like you are getting there. I haven’t read all 9 pages, but airflow is vital and do whatever you can to enhance it without exposing too much to dust etc if possible.

Edited by Brocky120
Edit

Another update:  I'm still getting the crashes, unfortunately.  I was just on final to Charlotte, after about an hour flight, and the program just closes.  My CPU wasn't throttling (it was running around 4.3 Ghz), and thermals were fine (60s and 70s).  I guess there must be something else going on.  It's Microsoft, so not really surprised.  I am using some custom liveries for the Hjet, but other than that, pretty much running things stock.  Ugh. 😡

I just built a new PC after this exact issue plagued me to the point where I couldn't do anything anymore.  Long flight or short, there was a 50/50 chance MSFS would crash to desktop when I got within a few miles of the destination airport.  I tried posting the issue to MSFS Zendesk and got no reply, then I tried to post it on the MSFS forums in a section that had other posts about CTDs similar to mine.  Those topics were left in place while mine was bumped out and I was DM'd and told not to post "unverified" crashes in the forum (even though I had the Windows crash logs).  Suffice it to say I have simply given up on going through Asobo's avenues for fixing issues with MSFS.

My issue, however, wasn't explicitly related to hardware temperature, it was the GPU driver crashing for a reason I was unable to identify.  The Windows crash reports pointed towards Flightsimulator.exe stopping, but none provided any information beyond that.  I just happened to get lucky once and spotted an AMD Crash Report window pop up just prior to the whole thing crashing, something I noticed every time from that point on, with a few of the windows staying open after the CTD.  I tried to report the issue to AMD, however since it was seemingly a random problem there's nothing they can really do about it.

Where this gets strange is with my new PC.  I've had an appallingly bad history with nVidia cards and their prices are way too high for me, so I took a gamble on another AMD card...which would be using the same driver version.  This new computer works perfectly and I've had zero CTDs on this new card.  Something I also picked up on was GPU Memory usage just prior to the crash, which was usually at the GPU's maximum and especially so if it was a busy airport.  My old GPU was above the minimum specs for MSFS, however this may be the reason that led to the driver crash.  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, SpaceForceCapt said:

I do love MSFS, but it's getting really frustrating.  I'll almost get through an entire flight, and when I'm maybe 10 mins from my destination, program crashes and closes.  No error message or anything.  What a pain in the butt.

This happens to me on almost every flight. It is frustrating..... I blew everything off once, re-downloaded and installed and the CTDs are still present. Like you, it normally happens near destination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

This happens to me on almost every flight. It is frustrating..... I blew everything off once, re-downloaded and installed and the CTDs are still present. Like you, it normally happens near destination.

At least it's not just me.  My PC has good specs, and I'm not even running MSFS at insane settings or anything.  It's very frustrating, that's for sure.

11 hours ago, SpaceForceCapt said:

It's Microsoft, so not really surprised.

plus Nvidia and Intel for me, no overclocking, no watercooling, no crashes whatsoever, (though I am in the AAU1 beta) so not really surprised.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.