Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

Beginning to think this is a waste of time...

I laugh when I read these threads because people still use GSX, FSTL or whatever its called and FS realism and wonder why their sim breaks. Those are the 3 worst culprits!!

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I had issues with CTD for long long time until i finally found out ( i am by no means a computer expert) that may PSU was way too weak. TLDR not knowing your specs this might be worth checking. After i installed a 900W PSU i never had any CTD again.

Best regards,

Tom

This, or bad RAM, is actually more likely to be the CTD problem than the CPU.  However even if the overheating CPU is not the cause of the CTD it needs fixing.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

This, or bad RAM, is actually more likely to be the CTD problem than the CPU.  However even if the overheating CPU is not the cause of the CTD it needs fixing.

True. Ever since i got an AIO Liquid cooling my CPU is maxing out at around 60 degrees.

Regarding the PSU CTD the OP should try a benchmark and see if it causes the system to crash. With my old PSU i got regular CTD when the GPU was under high load. Not only in MSFS but in other games too.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

A temp of 95 degrees Cel ius is way too much abd absolutely causing issues.

I would do 2 things :

-  change the cpu cooling for something better so it stays below 80 degrees Celsius 

- Reinstall MSFS as probably because of all the crashes some files might have become corrupted

-If it was me I even would reinstall Windows 

This....and this.

38 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Fact is, the cause of the CTD could be anything in that case be it hardware or driver or software or whatever but that CPU temp issue must be fixed.

I would be fixing that temp issue and then starting again with a fresh windows install. But that is just me.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, MikeH99 said:

I laugh when I read these threads because people still use GSX, FSTL or whatever its called and FS realism and wonder why their sim breaks. Those are the 3 worst culprits!!

Run all three all the time with no issues.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 1x 2tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial 4tb Nvme M2 Drive

12 hours ago, Georgleboui said:

Make sure you're not plugging in any USB devices during the flight.

This can also happen if USB cables are too long and/or connectors are worn out.

2 hours ago, MikeH99 said:

Been using FS Realistic since the day it was available, zero problems.The other two add ons you mentioned, I avoid.

• Like 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I laugh when I read falsehoods like this.

• Like 3

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

8 hours ago, SpaceForceCapt said:

It definitely makes a difference.  I read that having an open case might be bad due to the need for air pressure and flow, but I think the caveat is, that applies to a well-designed case.  From what I've read, this HP case is not that.  Temps are still reasonable just sitting here, but they are definitely cooler with it open.  Maybe I will just pop the hatch when I'm flying.  I don't seem to have any problems with day-to-day computing.  Although, I do a lot with Lightroom and Photoshop, so I'll have to see how my CPU does with that.  I never really paid attention since there were never issues.

Your caveat is correct. If the case has bad airflow from the start, all of the "regular" rules get tossed out the window.

3 hours ago, AJZip said:

I agree with all above (having had CPU temp problems myself in the past).  MSFS puts spikes of intense CPU activity and associated temperature at certain stages of the flight - and the most modest spike, if you are already running near maximum temperature, is going to overheat and throttle it - and, often, in MSFS that will result in a CTD.

But as well as better cooling, you might want to also drop the automatic 'turbo boost' a touch.  And yes, that HP model is set up as standard with automatic turbo boost.  But the HP advertising blurb states that this is controllable.  It is therefore worth googling how you do that on the HP Omen Obelisk.  I did a quick google and there's a fair bit on the HP Website, including the use of the Omen Command Centre software which is designed for that very job.  I get the impression that, as supplied, the PC will turbo boost to max 4.7 if allowed to...but that is a considerable overclock against the base clock speed and will be able to be reduced. 

THIS is probably the correct answer. HP probably has it set to squeeze every last bit of performance out of that system, so they cranked all of the turbo options up. This usually results in the CPU and memory voltages being set near the top of the range. This generates lots of heat within the chips. Lower or disable it as a test.

If your system works properly, all of these and more can run at the same time with no problems. If these break your sim, then you have a problem somewhere that you don't know about.

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Good suggestion. The Windows Memory Diagnostic found problems with my system memory very recently. I've RMA'd it and am waiting for the replacement memory from G.Skill as I type. It's a good idea to run it once in a while. It doesn't take too long and it seems to work pretty well. Hit the windows key and type "windows memory". It should appear above the start menu.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

13 hours ago, SpaceForceCapt said:

I have been using FSLTL, but it was not running when this happened.  The crashes seem to happen more often now, but they still happened before I ever DL'd FSLTL.  Not sure if it's related.  Maybe.  I'd say the odds of me getting through an entire 1-long flight are like 50/50.

Since I installed Win 11 I have had less crashes, but will get the occasional "on final" disapearance.

12 hours ago, fppilot said:

MB classes support multiple CPU's

true but you would decide AMD or intel first, which means youre pretty much gonna decide on the cpu first....

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Brandon01110 said:

true but you would decide AMD or intel first, which means youre pretty much gonna decide on the cpu first....

Nope. Intel for me without question, so the class of MB is first.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

True. Ever since i got an AIO Liquid cooling my CPU is maxing out at around 60 degrees.

Liquid cooling is a gimmick.  You are better off with a big aluminium finned cooler which will get rid of the heat far quicker.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Liquid cooling is a gimmick.  You are better off with a big aluminium finned cooler which will get rid of the heat far quicker.

It may be, but if so it's a gimmick that works. I have had it for two years and had no cooling problems whatsoever. Plus it's super quiet!

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Just now, cobalt said:

It may be, but if so it's a gimmick that works. I have had it for two years and had no cooling problems whatsoever. Plus it's super quiet!

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

I never had liquid cooling and never had an overheat problem. Liquid cooling is a good way to wash your motherboard with coolant, once in awhile. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310