Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

Beginning to think this is a waste of time...

There really should be a fake news category in this forum except it would be overflowing with some of the nonsense you see in threads like this. 

• Upvote 2

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

18 minutes ago, cobalt said:

It may be, but if so it's a gimmick that works. I have had it for two years and had no cooling problems whatsoever. Plus it's super quiet!

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

I have liquid cooling as well. But physics tells me that it takes longer to get rid of the heat. The liquid has to be first heated  and then cooled. And water is not a good conductor of heat. This takes time. A simple big aluminium finned heat exchanger with some initial copper does it much better. I'll stick to my words. Liquid cooling is a gimmick.

Edited by jarmstro

2 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I have liquid cooling as well. But physics tells me that it takes longer to get rid of the heat. The liquid has to be first heated  and then cooled. This takes time. A simple big aluminium finned heat exchanger with some initial copper does it much better. I'll stick to my words. Liquid cooling is a gimmick.

My last PC I bought, I was considering liquid cooling and two IT people at my company talked me out of it. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

8 hours ago, verbal said:

Perhaps a change of case to something with better airflow? 

What are your ambient temps in the room where the PC is?

Ambient is around 70-72

5 hours ago, Car147 said:

Run all three all the time with no issues.

I repeated the flight (CLE to ROC) after uninstalling FSLTL, and it went fine.  Could be just a coincidence.  No doubt I'm running hot, but I probably have been for years, and MSFS has been the only thing that's given me issues.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I have liquid cooling as well. But physics tells me that it takes longer to get rid of the heat. The liquid has to be first heated  and then cooled. And water is not a good conductor of heat. This takes time. A simple big aluminium finned heat exchanger with some initial copper does it much better. I'll stick to my words. Liquid cooling is a gimmick.

And I will stick to my words. I am very happy with liquid cooling after two years, and getting rid of cooling fans is a big plus! But as is often said in the forums, whatever makes you happy, go for it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Your caveat is correct. If the case has bad airflow from the start, all of the "regular" rules get tossed out the window.

THIS is probably the correct answer. HP probably has it set to squeeze every last bit of performance out of that system, so they cranked all of the turbo options up. This usually results in the CPU and memory voltages being set near the top of the range. This generates lots of heat within the chips. Lower or disable it as a test.

If your system works properly, all of these and more can run at the same time with no problems. If these break your sim, then you have a problem somewhere that you don't know about.

Good suggestion. The Windows Memory Diagnostic found problems with my system memory very recently. I've RMA'd it and am waiting for the replacement memory from G.Skill as I type. It's a good idea to run it once in a while. It doesn't take too long and it seems to work pretty well. Hit the windows key and type "windows memory". It should appear above the start menu.

I would be OK turning down the boost, but HP seems to have redesigned their "command center" software.  It's now called "gaming hub", and I no longer see any overclocking options.  I remember seeing them in the old software, but I no longer have that on my rig.  I'll have to research this.  Not sure how or if I can control the OC anymore.  HP seems to do some stupid things, like not even allowing access to fan profiles in the bios.

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Liquid cooling is a gimmick.  You are better off with a big aluminium finned cooler which will get rid of the heat far quicker.

A gimmick? Well that gimmick keeps my CPU cool pretty well...completely happy with it.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

3 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Liquid cooling is a gimmick.  You are better off with a big aluminium finned cooler which will get rid of the heat far quicker.

A quieter, cooler, tidier gimmick.

Air cooling has its beniftis and liquid cooling has its benefits but I have always had better temps with liquid cooling and one thing is absolutely certain is that the ambient temps in the case are much cooler with a liquid cooling solution which makes for a cooler environment for the other componants such as your graphics card.

Air coolers generally tend to get rid of the heat quicker during the initial burst but during a high load session the liquid cooler will average a lower temp over the duration. Not all coolers are created equal and you get what you pay for in both liquid and air but endless tests an benchmarks prove that they are not a gimmick, I'm afraid.

And if you have a PC on a desk or table next to you then the noise from an air cooler is downright obnoxious.

Edited by Jazz
  • Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

49 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

No, water cooling isn't a gimmick.  If physics tells you air is a better conductor of heat than liquid, your physics teacher should be fired!  Read this: http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/spring13/atmo170a1s1/online_course/week_4/lect11_temperature_conduction_convection_latent_heat.html#:~:text=Water is a much better,your hand and the water.

• Like 1

Another thing, I did upgrade my GPU a while back.  It's the EVGA customized RTX2070.  Maybe that is throwing off a lot of heat in the case and causing it to heat up the CPU?  I did notice my GPU runs at around 99% utilization when simming.  Not sure if that's normal.

8 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Right - the OP already stated that he did this a while ago, top of page 3 …

Yes, but did he clean the CPU, and apply new thermal paste with the replacement cooler? Did he fit the heatsink properly? These need to be checked, as an improperly fitted heatsink with poor thermal paste application could make a massive difference to the temperature of the CPU. This was the part that made me a touch paranoid when I was building my first ever PC three years ago :smile:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hyperthreading on? I turned mine off in bios and my 7700K temp dropped by 20 deg c to around 60 deg c running MSFS. No performance impact.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Your opinion, ok. The water block for my video card has brought the temperature down from 95-90 °C to 75-70 °C and even more important: noise reduction.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

Your opinion, ok. The water block for my video card has brought the temperature down from 95-90 °C to 75-70 °C and even more important: noise reduction.

Well it could be I've got the wrong water cooler. Not sure that the fans on it are any quieter than the fans on a conventional cooler? But for sure they are on for longer. But I do like all the pretty lights,😀