Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Intel Arc support for X-Plane 12

XP12 doesn't support Intel Arc and there is a hint from a contractor that it may never be supported. Anyone here have more insight into what the functionality/features are missing in Intel Arc Vulkan drivers? 

I am not very happy with  current  AMD/Nvidia duopoly jacking up prices beyond imagination. 

I been watching Arc development and performance has been constantly increasing with driver update for many of the DirectX games.   I can't find much info on Vulkan progress. 

LR is already struggling with AMD GPU so I can totally understand them not wanting to take a 3rd GPU. It sucks for consumer. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

AMD is struggling with AMD GPU. LR is dealing with the whiplash better than most.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

From all I've read Arc is still useless for any degree of gaming. It would have been nice though, but Intel's driver development team completely blew it.

If you need a new GPU on a budget, there's no way around waiting for a new generation release and then buying the previous generation from the used market.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

XP12 doesn't support Intel Arc and there is a hint from a contractor that it may never be supported.

Hmmm, not so sure about that specifically, more that

embed.php?i=2210045-PTS-INTELARC16&sha=8

AutoATC Developer

On 2/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, mSparks said:

Hmmm, not so sure about that specifically, more that

embed.php?i=2210045-PTS-INTELARC16&sha=8

That is pretty bad.  They are putting all efforts improving DX drivers.  

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

27 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

They are putting all efforts improving DX drivers.  

aiui there's not "that" much for them to do for Vulkan, that's as good as the performance will get, because Vulkan/DX12 don't do much other than expose the hardware to the application to run stuff on it.

DX9/10/11 and openGL on the other hand, do lots of heavy lifting regarding resource management in the driver, and efficient resource use in a generic manner is a hard problem (getting it wrong is where all the stutters came from).

According to 

https://www.geeks3d.com/20230125/intel-graphics-driver-31-0-101-4090-released/

It exposes Vulkan version 1.3.237 

Which should run XP12.

Don't think I would touch a 750, the A770 is fairly competitively priced, I'd love to see XP12 VR benchmarks on it (although I doubt it is usable)

https://www.engadget.com/intel-arc-a750-a770-review-mid-range-gpu-rivals-nvidia-amd-130032507.html

next iteration "sounds" promising:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/RTX-4080-rivaling-Intel-Arc-Battlemage-to-launch-in-Q1-2024-while-Arc-Alchemist-to-be-refreshed-in-Q3-2023-per-leaked-internal-roadmap.679447.0.html

So I'm fairly optimistic. If they can stay the course, there is a very real prospect that a dedicated XP12 VR box will be viable in a couple of years.

AutoATC Developer