Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

F14D, Mach round the Mach Loop

On 2/24/2023 at 1:47 AM, mSparks said:

Anyone for a race?

My answer is (uncutted, raw movie from cockpit, default XP11 scenery):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_mGvH3Fcg4

Supersonic combat military training at RAPHAELE-C fighter (slower than F14). Due specification of the  task (it's leg of  the Special Operations World Tour on IVAO) it should be performed below 1000AGL but I've decided to perform flight much lower and at supersonic speed (average 1.0 Mach or greater) as it's a greater challenge 🙂
Mach Loop - achieved top speed 1.1287M, lowest alt ~100ft at supersonic speed, average speed above 1.0M over the whole loop.
And before enter to ML, over the bay I've descent at supersonic speed to ~10ft over water, just a moment after supersonic barrel roll.

Regards,
Piotr

ps. and yes, it's true - adrenaline is really very high, only a moment unfocused and a plane hits at welsh hills ... 😛

ps2. best to view in 1050 and  full screen mode

Edited by ppgas
  • Like 1

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

11 minutes ago, ppgas said:

but I've decided to perform flight much lower and at supersonic speed (average 1.0 Mach or greater) as it's a greater challenge 🙂

Beautiful. 

But you exited through the entrance 😛

That last sprint through the south valley was my favourite bit.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:30 AM, coastaldriver said:

The North Entrance Route

kObhc9s.jpg

AutoATC Developer

9 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Beautiful. 

But you exited through the entrance 😛

That last sprint through the south valley was my favourite bit.

Exactly entrance is where road A470 join A487 but I exited before, right of the Y Foel hill (or close).
There are  3 official entrances: where road A470 join A487, at Machynlleth (junction A487/A489) and  at Glantwymyn (junction A489/A470).

There are 3 official exits from ML:   at Corris Corner  (junction A487/B4405), to Lake Vrynwy (north of junction  A458/A470, at Dinas Mawddwy) and to Bala (right of Y Foel hill, turn right to the A494)
And I exited this last one, but instead turning right to A494 road I turned left after Y Foel hill and return improperly through Afon Mawddach bay.
I flew 2 years ago in the previous tour through Corris Corner exit  and I was slightly bored. Of course, I'm also a lazy boy  and through the bay is closer to airfield ... 😛 

But it's true, northern entrance and Corris Corner exit are the most known entrance/exit from Mach Loop 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

• Like 1

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

As I've recently "played"  military aviation (because of new IVAO SO World Tour), I've just finished two funny VA projects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ge95rJ8HI&list=PLlL5wMXt5YPU7urKGThDrBPlahm7TVCrh

Movies:
#00-#06 - Mach Loop project
#10-#13 - White Sands project

Video #06 from Mach Loop project is with the special dedication to @mSparks 🙂

ps. still thinking about your B744 model and Mach Loop ... 😉 😉 😉

• Like 1

It's very nice and this flight makes respect,  but I'm afraid that overflying Mach Loop in the C17A is much easier than in B744, as its landing distance is 2 times shorter than B744 -> what implies its stall speed has to be much lower than B744 and in general speed ranges are wider.
In general C17A dispite its great weight and dimensions is very agile craft 🙂

I'm still hoping somebody creates good free model of C17A for X-Plane (on  xplane.org is one model but it seems it's the old one upgraded from XP9 to XP11)

Regards,
Piotr

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ppgas said:

dimensions is very agile craft 🙂

when she's light the 744 is pretty nimble tho, and there is diff thrust for the corners

definitely one to try, only thing holding back a new release atm is I'm fighting with VS and GS following, everything else - especially hand flying "should" be solid.

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

Reprise on the Mach Loop. JCS X-Aerodynamics recently released an XP12 version of their Cessna A-37 Dragonfly. A really nicely done model, not perfect but very authentic. So what else now but to head off to do the Mach Loop for the sheer fun of it now I have an aeroplane suitable and comfortable. 

Rolling at dawn RAF Valley

QcUu22r.jpg

Round the loop we go

AzXzhS0.jpg

GnzyHIC.jpg

Made it and back to EGOV for a 250kt overhead rejoin. 

MniimeI.jpg

• Like 2

Being honest 3 runs so far - 3 prangs.

1. Failed to monitor airspeed on arrival back at EGOV - mushed in short. Ouch 

2 Misjudged tree height on one valley face - clipped trees into the deck! The Mach loop is not the place for selfies or screenshots in a hurry!

3. Not sure how I managed the last one but again turning inbound to start the loop run - flew into the estuary! Splash!

The Dragonfly is a little sensitive in pitch and has a lot of weight and momentum - you can throw it around all right but those big slab wings make for some effort rolling about! Will get behind the drag curve quickly.

lZYKY6G.jpg

Need a decent map reader display like little NavMap in the cockpit. GPS is to hard to read and really want a visual map display not representative. The Avitab is ok to a point but you cannot display your flight plan on it. - Any thoughts?

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

AutoOrtho?

ortho4xp 1.4 with XP12 water set.

Wait a bit though, there is known issues with ocean water on ortho deadlocking the sim 😭

It looks like the F14 will cut a path into water when flying low over it, but I can't get to see it because the sim freezes (might try on default, because the effect should be the same).

AutoATC Developer