Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

A warning about PRO ATC

2 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

Did the dev every make the RC4 code public? I'd love to take a crack at getting it to run in MSFS. Was it written in C or VB?

Fortran probably!  :laugh:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Fortran probably!  :laugh:

LOL. I guess I'm out. I forgot Fortran in the late 80s, early 90s... Might have left it at a Stones concert. 😎

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

It was written in VB but as far as I'm aware jd never released the source, more's the pity. To be honest, although it was very good at the time, and in some areas surpasses most of the current alternatives, it's lack of true SID, STAR and approach assignment would put me off even if it were compatible with MSFS.

Ian Box

Just now, ConstVoid said:

It was written in VB but as far as I'm aware jd never released the source, more's the pity. To be honest, although it was very good at the time, and in some areas surpasses most of the current alternatives, it's lack of true SID, STAR and approach assignment would put me off even if it were compatible with MSFS.

Were SIDs & STARS even a thing yet when they wrote it?

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Yes they were, and RC4 even makes a nod to them, by allowing you freedom to do your own thing (ie fly your own SID or STAR) if you select the appropriate option and the first/last waypoint is close to the airport, but that's still not fully supporting named STARS and SIDs.

• Like 1

Ian Box

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

Did the dev every make the RC4 code public? I'd love to take a crack at getting it to run in MSFS. Was it written in C or VB?

No, he deleted it. Unbelievable given how much effort went into it. It was written in VB.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, ConstVoid said:

it's lack of true SID, STAR and approach assignment would put me off even if it were compatible with MSFS.

I just include those in my plan loaded into RC4. In any case in the real world ATC controls you at the arrival airport and takes precedence over any filed plan. RC4 gives you the option of vectors or your files plan at 40 miles out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I just include those in my plan loaded into RC4. In any case in the real world ATC controls you at the arrival airport and takes precedence over any filed plan. RC4 gives you the option of vectors or your files plan at 40 miles out.

You really love RC4, don't you Ray?

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

ProATC, if properly set, had worked ok for me in both FS2004 (yes) and P3D. I don't use for MSFS though, as I'm looking for something more immersive, and in the meantime PATC is under serious consideration. 

16 minutes ago, hvw said:

You really love RC4, don't you Ray?

Yes. And until something better comes along I'll continue to use it. 16 years and counting. :wink:

• Like 4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Pilot2ATC. One of the best offline, speech to text ATCs, recognizes traffic, SID/STARs and updated all.the.time from one of the most supportive developers I've encountered.

Get it. It has a lot of stuff included.

• Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

48 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No, he deleted it. Unbelievable given how much effort went into it. It was written in VB.

Oh my. That is a travesty. It was a very good program. I really enjoyed it for the few years that I was able to use it.

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is also my approach. Some solutions like Pilot2ATC work well, but the time needed to configure it and the atrocious interface are too much of a hassle to make me use it. 

You are missing out. The interface is a non-issue. I have never once thought about it after setting it up. But i think about how much immersion it adds to the sim every flight. Plus, the beta updates happen almost weekly, not to mention support that is not just excellent, but admirable. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

7 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

Oh my. That is a travesty. It was a very good program. I really enjoyed it for the few years that I was able to use it.

Nothing to stop you using it now for IFR. No rules about only one sim allowed on anyone's computer. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is also my approach. Some solutions like Pilot2ATC work well, but the time needed to configure it and the atrocious interface are too much of a hassle to make me use it. 

It take seconds. You can even import the plan from simbrief. Interface is pretty simple, really.

Is there something we could you with?

• Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---