Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

General Aviation Recommendations

By the way. 

The Just Flight Warrior II which at one stage was the must have GA aircraft in MSFS is about to get a major update which should put it back in contention.

We managed to fix the GNS issue with the assistance of the WT team and are finalising the update, with the aim of releasing this week:

* Latest TDS GTNXi models/textures added
* Compatibility with latest versions of Working Title GNS, PMS-50 GTN and TDS GTNXi (including new autopilot logic)
* EFB functionality upgrades:
  * Import your SimBrief flight and view a summary or scrollable full OFP
  * Monitor your position in real time using a map view with tracking, zoom and pan options
  * Explore and view your Navigraph charts, with automatic selection of departure and arrival airports based on your SimBrief OFP, and ability to favourite charts for quick reference
  * Use a notepad for making notes during the flight, particularly useful for noting down clearances and taxi instructions
  * Interactive checklists, in addition to the existing MSFS checklist support
  * A top-of-descent calculator with the option to manually input altitudes, speeds and descent requirements or to have those sync’d from the sim
  * An on-screen/virtual keyboard, especially useful for VR users
  * METARs for your SimBrief OFP departure, arrival and alternate airports
* Animations and cockpit interactions updated for compatibility with LOCK interaction mode and Xbox
* Flight model updates (greater pitch stability and better ground handling)
* Trim sensitivity slider added to EFB, allowing you to fine tune the sensitivity of the pitch trim
* Improved spark plug fouling simulation
* Vertical speed hold hidden clickspot added to autopilot panel - with altitude hold engaged, clicking on the vertical speed clickspot will engage vertical speed hold mode, holding the vertical speed that existed at the point of engagement
* Dynamic baggage added - a variety of baggage will appear in the baggage compartment, depending on the selected payload weight
* Smoother cockpit pushbutton animations
* GNS 530/430 screens resized to prevent edge clipping
* Support added for SET ELECTRICAL FUEL PUMP 1 control assignment
* Throttle quadrant cursor icons (hand/grab) updated to make it easier to see when your cursor is moving between levers
* Gap around NAV 1 OBI - fixed
* Wing fuel tank cap positions fixed
* Primer knob sound fixed

Martyn - Just Flight

• Like 3

Great.  Thanks Glenn. 

The Warrior is actually my favourite out of the batch, and it is having some great updates judging by the list, hopefully to be carried over to the Arrows as well, which I haven't flown much.

Two big things for me...

* Flight model updates (greater pitch stability and better ground handling)
* Trim sensitivity slider added to EFB, allowing you to fine tune the sensitivity of the pitch trim

Excellent changes.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I'm looking for high quality GA in the same realm as PMDG/A2A would be considered.  I'm waiting on the complex aircraft, like HJet or similar, cause I'm trying to get used to the sim and set things up to my liking.  I did buy the PMDG 737 and it's great, no question.  I don't even find it very hard to land, despite being different from previous sims.

So, I'm looking to see what aircraft is good with flight dynamics and overall systems.  The Black Square analog Baron/Bonanza is something I will consider as well.  And I see that the Kodiak 100 is something worth buying. 

I prefer analog, but as long as the flight dynamics and other systems are good, I'm okay.  The default Cessna is decent to me.  I like the analog setup and it seems to fly nicely (IOW, I can land it well).  The Caravan on the other hand floats so bad.

I guess I'm wanting to know what developers are putting out high fidelity planes for GA at the moment.  It's nice to just hop into a small plane and do very little to set up a flight and go. I just want the turbulence to be addressed.  It's too much! lol

Thank you! 😃

P.S., I'm exciting with the sim and visuals that it's hard to just focus on one thing. 🤣  The rain and storm visuals are insane.

The most in depth appears to be the Baron coming soon, the Milviz (now called Blackbird) C310, and the analog Bonanza and king air.  I own all of those and none are quite at the level of A2A but the 310 is quite close.  All of those also support TDS or PMS GTN.  Oh I recommend the Black square king air as well.

Regarding the GTN - I love TDS but because I'm biased and a fan of the trainer based GTNs I think you should at least try the free PMS version.  For me a realistic look and operation is more important and since I mostly fly USA I get my charts on skyvector so I have no need for them - therefore I use TDS all day everyday.

If you have navigraph ultimate and pms payware you can get updated airac data and charts on your pms unit...comes at a price of course.

Aside from that another light GA you may enjoy is the FSReborn Sting S4 - has the A2A vibes as well.

There's many more GA on the market but typically with less features than those I already listed (but usually cost less)..  for instance I also enjoy the Carenado V35B PC12, and Archer just released.  Although it's not systems deep the Archer flies very close to book numbers and has a lovely hand flying feel.  There is no AP however.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

11 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

The Milviz C310, Flysimware C414, Simworks Kodiak, etc are all great choices both flight model and systems wise. 

I think the GA to really watch out for will be the A2A Comanche with their new completely re-written accusim framework for MSFS, currently in beta testing. Read more here:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74087
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73957
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73656

Re: turbulence, the upcoming SU12 update of the sim will allow turbulence control with config settings (low/none, medium, realistic).. the latter is the current turbulence in the sim and even that has been tuned down a bit I hear from those using the SU12 beta.  And couldn't agree more about the visuals and weather depiction 🙂

Almost word for word how I would have answered this post.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I prefer analog, but as long as the flight dynamics and other systems are good, I'm okay.  The default Cessna is decent to me.  I like the analog setup and it seems to fly nicely (IOW, I can land it well).  The Caravan on the other hand floats so bad.

I would stay away from the default Caravan.  However, the Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod (though no longer supported by the author) still works well.  Especially with the latest "built-in" FS/WT g1000 NXi. (not analog, I know)

https://flightsim.to/file/16350/cessna-208b-grand-caravan-ex-improvement-mod

I make a small tweak for ground steering and she's good-to-go.

• Like 2

Randall Rocke

1 minute ago, RandallR said:

I make a small tweak for ground steering and she's good-to-go.

Th real-life c208 is not renowned for great ground steering, The POH actually recommends locking the inboard wheel brake when doing minimum radius turns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tup61 said:

It's a pity Asobo didn't add a GTN to MSFS (afaik...?). Specially since all devices that have been added (G3000, GNS) did get a great payware quality update (AAU1). Anyone knows if MSFS will ever get a default GTN? Would be nice.

I'll bite...  WT can only do so much, and since there are two very good GTN options already, I would rather have them focus on the remaining Garmins, like the G3X. 🙂

• Like 3

Bert

11 hours ago, Orlaam said:

So the TDS is essentially like the RXP was in the older sims. 

If you are used to the RXP GTN, you will find that the TDS unit operates exactly the same.. 🙂

Great match for the C414..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

5 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The Just Flight Warrior II which at one stage was the must have GA aircraft in MSFS is about to get a major update which should put it back in contention.

Hope the Arrows are equally updated.. they are currently hangared on my system.

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hope the Arrows are equally updated.. they are currently hangared on my system.

Yes, they have similar updates coming as well.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

The only reason I say analog gauges and not glass is that I find them easier to fly in some cases.  They're easier to read IMO.  I'm trying to avoid any complexity at the moment because my work keep throwing education at me, so my free time is partially spent learning and redoing modules.

Lots of great suggestions that I've bookmarked.  Thank you!

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

19 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Current light GA aircraft that rate highly in things like the " Top 10" thread on the main forums and in other reviews:

1. Ants DH82 Tiger Moth
  2. Flysimware Cessna 414 Chancellor
  3. MilViz / Blackbird BB310R
  4. FS Reborn Sting S4
  5. SimWorks Studio Quest Kodiak
  6. Black Square Analog Bonanza (payware Steam/Analog conversion and Turbo mod for the default Beechcraft Bonanza)
  7. Cessna C152 with WB-Sim / JPL mod (this is a freeware mod for the default Cessna c152)
  8. Just Flight c172 enhancement mod (payware addon to improve the Premium/Deluxe Steam Gauge c172)
  9. Got Friends PZL-104 Wilga 35/80
  10. Carenado V Tail Bonanza (Carenado so not really "study level" but OK nevertheless)

Older stuff some of which needs an update that has been good in the past:

1. Just Flight PA28 Arrow, Turbo Arrows and Warrior
  2. AT Simulations Focke–Wulf Piaggio P.149
  3. Iris Simulations Jabiru

Things to look forward to in the future:

1. Black Square Analog Baron (payware Steam/Analog conversion and turbo mod for the Premium/Deluxe Beechcraft Baron)
  2. A2A Piper Comanche

Other Stuff that rates a mention - though not strictly "light" GA:

1. The Honda jet, Vision jet, Twin Otter, Beech 18, Grumman Goose, Analog King Air and Islander are all popular.

Note that some of the "improvement" addons need Premium Deluxe MSFS

Just a note that the AT Simulations Focke–Wulf Piaggio P.149 had had several updates quite recently - latest version is now 2.15.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

The only reason I say analog gauges and not glass is that I find them easier to fly in some cases. 

I agree.. but if you do want to try some glass, the default G36 Bonanza and the default TBM930 are both really good.  🙂

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I agree.. but if you do want to try some glass, the default G36 Bonanza and the default TBM930 are both really good.  🙂

How do they handle on the ground?  I'm noting the default Cessna 172, albeit a decent little plane, does not do crosswinds...at all.  I couldn't keep the bird straight on the ground if you paid me.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired